New Olympus 15mm f2 lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mrjr, Sep 3, 2013.

1. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
  2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    A bit of an odd focal length, but if it was weather sealed I'd be interested in getting it and selling the 17 1.8 (assuming the IQ is as good or better)
  3. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    if it is a small pancake, like the pana 14mm, it will make an interesting walk around compact setup. :smile:
  4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I think the focal length makes sense as a lens to go with the 45. Could be a very nice 2-prime kit. If it's affordable and good, and not gigantic, I'll own this in a heartbeat.

Some people were looking at the design and determining that this isn't going to be a pancake. Which to me indicates that it's probably going to be a high-end piece of glass. I was rather hoping that this would be the replacement for the 17mm f2.8: that it would be good enough, affordable, very small, with modern AF speed.

Hope it comes to market.
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I'm still waiting for a 14mm f1.8.
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I guess we just have to wait and see if it comes to the market. My vote is that'll it will be a small cheap lens, otherwise it's a bit too close to the 17mm. Or more likely, it'll never come to fruitition.
  7. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Don't break my heart. :(

The more I think about it, the more optimistic I am at this very well could be a small, inexpensive lens. Olympus has positioned the 17mm as a high-end lens, along the lines of the 12mm and 75mm. (I know it doesn't fully match those for excellence) That being the case, I don't think there's as much room above the 17mm as there is below it, right? Yikes. Probably not, come to think of it. This could easily be a notch above the 17mm, in terms of optics and pricing. At least that's good news, too. Surely that would push the 17mm down lower, such that it's more accessible to budget-conscious shoppers. Either way it's a win, I suppose.

I recognize it's silly to pour this much speculation on a lens patent, but I just can't help myself. This lens is very intriguing to me.
  8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I don't see why it's an odd focal length. I challenge anyone to be able to pick apart the difference between 14mm and 15mm. The angle of view is so close as to be negligible for most people, in most situations.

However, I'm not sure that Olympus is doing more than just protecting their intellectual property: I don't see them introducing a 15mm lens when they have a 17mm lens already, unless it does have some differentiating feature (being a pancake, having much improved optical performance for the price, etc).
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    How many elements are there? Hard to count with a low-res pic like that. Looks like more elements than the P14, and at f/2 I think wishing for pancake size is maybe a stretch...
  10. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Agreed, it is just an odd focal length in the traditional sense where 28 normally jumps to 35, etc ...

It is very close to a traditional 28, which is why I'm intrigued by it, and I'd love to see a higher quality 28mm equivalent (not that the Panasonic is bad by any means, but a little bit more speed and a little bit more of a robust build is a good thing in my book)

What I'd really like is a good 20/21mm equivalent prime. Olympus' 21 2 back in the OM days was absolutely brilliant.