1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Olympian. Em5 Series one.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by saladin, Jun 5, 2015.

1. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Hi all. Long story short, my dslr and several lenses got stolen. Decided to take the leap into a smaller system for daily use. Wandered into JB Hifi and found one of the last brand new Em5's for $330 Australian, body only. Id been leaning towards Fuji or Oly, i'm a stills shooter, i want a viewfinder and funds are tight. It seemed a no-brainer.

So i bought it, lol.

I will probably grab a cheap 14-42 iir today just to see if i like how the camera drives and if so, a couple of primes await.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Get a prime first. You'll enjoy the camera much more.
    I'd recommend a 17 or 25.
    Good shooting...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Thanks Pecos,

I'm viewing the 45mm (i really want a bokeh lens ) plus the Pana 20 or Sigma 19 to maximise my budget. Researching all the 4/3 lenses to see what will make sense for a dual prime setup.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

20mm + 45mm is the classic fast, low cost and sharp pair. There's also the still decent and even cheaper 14mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Early thoughts:

Lovely build, it feels like a tank. Great styling, not TOO small.

Right hand strap lug rubs into the side of my middle finger. Forcing myself to rest that finger elsewhere.

Incredibly customisable, i keep confusing myself with settings and where things are in-menu, lol. But, why cant i have ISO on one of the wheels in Aperture priority? Sure, most would never care but i shoot outdoor sports in Aperture priority , usually wide open, and to keep the shutter speed i want as light changes, i bump up or drop the ISO quickly. Oh well.

The Art filters are very cool to play with. Vivid with Mono (II) and the pinhole vignette might get some genuine use by me.

I really need to sit down, work out exactly what i want and how to do it and lock it into the Mysets so that i stop fiddling, lol.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  6. Shadetree

Shadetree Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Butch
    If you can find a copy of David Busch's 'Olympus OM-D E-M5 Digital Photography' it might be worth the investment. It sure helped me a lot while I was trying to figure the E-M5 out and I really enjoy using mine now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Might try using M mode with auto ISO.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you can set the aperture wide open and your desired shutter speed.

8. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Yeah, its not really a big deal. My remaining dslr can cover off sports anyway. I was just surprised that with SO much customising available this was one (simple) setup i couldnt assign.

That said, with highlight warning activated in the VF, having instant Exposure Comp at my fingertip is useful and fun and probably more relevant to this cameras uses.

Im also trying to work on assigning a Myset to a function button but cant decide on settings, lol. Probably Raw+jpeg with monochrome plus various trimmings.

9. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Did you find a cheap lens yet?

I've got a surplus Oly 14-42 in excellent condition that you can have for $50 posted...

10. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Ahh, bugger! Yes mate, i picked up a 14-42 II yesterday. Primes will be the way forward from here. Thanks for the offer, though.

11. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

No worries... :thumbup:

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Unfortunately, the ISO on the wheels is a later model improvement with the added lever of the E-P5, E-M1 & E-M5 Mk II, but....
    I would advise you to try having the 4 way pad set to Direct Function (Menu *B, Button Function, 4 way buttons) & then you can have ISO on the Right button (& value changed with either wheel) & Drive Mode on the Down button (that's how I have mine). To select the AF Target points, one press of the Left button gets you there & then the 4 way buttons will position the target or using both wheels. Pressing Info then will allow you to change (with up/down buttons or rear wheel) the number of targets from single, nine to all or single small (since Firmware update 2.0).
    Of course, the Super Control Panel is also useful to quickly change parameters by touching the desired box & rotating the front wheel to change the values (rear wheel moves to other boxes). If you press OK again it opens up that Menu for that box function, but usually just changing the value with the front wheel is quicker & all that is needed.

I hope that helps to start with.

13. Ross the fiddler

DPReview wrote up (free)
    "User Guide: Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5" which would be a good start but it doesn't cover the later firmware updates as follows

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  14. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Hi Ross.

Thanks for the rundown. At this stage i have settled on:

Fn1 : myset 4 (set up for dramatic Tone /mono/ pinhole)
    Fn2: iso
    record : manual focus
    right: flash
    down : drive

These will probably change. For starters, Im saving Raw + jpeg so really the mono is just for fun. I think i'll need fn1 for back button focus anyway.

I'm getting the hang of bringing up the scp in the viewfinder with the info button and changing settings there without lowering the camera. Quicker access to flash exp could be useful.

Lots to learn. Lots to try out, lol.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  15. Ross the fiddler

That's the beauty of it being so customisable. I always save JPEG & RAW because I like the best of both worlds. :thiagree:

16. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Looks like my camera has Firmware 2.0 . I probably wont bother with 2.1 unless i ever buy the pro zoom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Olympus menus are like chemistry sets. You can do nearly anything after years of study.

18. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I just got an E-M5 as well. I could not resist the price. I got the Elite model with 14-42 II R lens for $499.00.
    I used to use a Nikon D2X years ago when I shot weddings. The Oly is so tiny in comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  19. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Picked up the 45/1.8 . put it on the '5 as soon as i left the shop. a couple of SOOC jpegs snapped on the way out to the car, lol.

Faceless Man

P6200014.

The Alien Plant.

P6200013.

20. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Update:

what a great little camera this is. In a word, it's fun. the EVF - which i have always been sceptical of - adds a really cool element via being able to see the effects of exposure comp as it happens. I now tend to simply use the front dial for Exp Comp in AV mode, make adjustments until i like what i see and start snapping. However, this -combined with big aperture prime lenses - has led me to the one kinda annoying feature: The max shutter speed! for some reason, i often miss the little "4000" blinking at me in the corner of the viewfinder. So i dial in some negative exposure, take a few shots and then express surprise when they are all brighter than i wanted, lol. Its just a habit thing, i simply need to keep an eye on the SS and close down the lens if needed. of course, this sometimes gives more DOF than wanted but thems the breaks.

I have now added the 15mm PL and the 45 Oly. this functions as my Em5 kit in a small bag, the kit lens is no longer used.

I have also added a new EM1 and 12-40 Pro. Neither of which have had any use as yet!! (All of this new gear is a result of an insurance claim for stolen items). I actually enjoy the smaller size of the 5, though when i took the 1 from its box its not exactly big either. The 1/8000 would also eliminate the above issue with the 5.

I'd like to add a 25mm. and maybe a pancake. I also like the look and feel of the GX7. potentially, i could sell one of the oly bodies to fund a GX7. I'm not really drawn to the new GX8, i think 16meg is enough for my uses.

I'm certainly in the M4/3 system to stay one way or another, lol.

• Like Like x 2