New Oly m4/3 lens on the way

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Hikari, Feb 8, 2011.

1. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I was just reading that page. Yeah that lens will look great on my silver epl-1 ;)

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It is interesting they did not announce the focal length. But it looks very interesting and the idea that they are thinking of high-end lenses is promising--a recognition that the camera is not just appealing to the compact/family crowd.

3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    it sort of just looks like a 4/3 lens with a built in adapter...i hope not! :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Well, they did say it was a prime, it looks like it has a nice big apeture, and it's not exactly short; so my totally unqualified guess is that this will be a fast portrait lens, perhaps with a reasonably close focus, something like a 50/2. (Oly don't seem so have made anything faster than f2 for a while).

Oooh! I'm excited, How many new m4/3 lenses will we see over the next 12 months?

5. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I would be ecstatic if was a 12mm f2.0 ;-)

6. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    *two thumbs up* if joel is correct ;)

7. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Anyone else think these mock-ups and teasers are getting slightly ridiculous?. It could be 6 months before they announce what this lens is and up to a year before its for sale. Lots of these things end up being different anyway. The infamous Sony mirrorless camera with the stuck-on lens being a good example.

I don't really know what these things are supposed to achieve. Are we expected to put our life on hold while we wait breathlessly for this to appear?

While all this rumour and speculation is undeniably entertaining, the amount of genuine information - i.e. we're making this and it will be available on such and such a date gets rarer. I'm as fond of a good rumour and a lengthy discussion on its merits as anyone, but this constant stream of "vapourgear" is getting a bit over the top, even for me.

• Like Like x 3
  8. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    David, I completely agree with you,
    One of the reasons why I picked up the PL45, as even though I'd like it to be faster at least I can take pictures with a lens that actually exists.

• Like Like x 2
  9. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    You are not alone. I don't know, either, what the intention is. Maybe Olympus wants to show commitment to µ4/3 which goes further than just consumer products. But in my opinion they should simply be more specific with their announcements (including realistic release dates) and release more advanced gear. They have had enough time to do so.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Exactly how is this raining on your parade? There is actually nothing in the press release that requires you to put your life on hold. There is nothing requiring your to buy this lens or any other lens. And since this is an announcement from the manufacturer, why would it simply be a rumour?

BTW, this looks like a nicely machined metal barrel and so it is most likely not a mockup.And since the source is Olympus, I don't think they are going to announce a product that will not appear.

11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Can you show how much time they have had? And what is enough time? It is for their 75th anniversary celebration and perhaps they are waiting to roll out that announcement.

12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Wow. We all got up on the wrong side of the lens adapter today!

• Like Like x 1
  13. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    What lens?? Its a lump of plastic, or wood or metal. I see no lens.

14. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    David has put his opinion up to discussion. This is exactly what a forum is for. Exactly how is this raining on your parade?

• Like Like x 2
  15. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    They had time since August 2008, when the standard was introduced. The Four Thirds standard was introduced in 2001 and the first professional Four Thirds camera two years later, that is in 2003. Due to the existing knowledge and technology they already have from their Four Thirds system, two years are enough to be able to introduce or at least announce a professional Micro Four Thirds camera.

• Like Like x 2
  16. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Somebody just posted this comment on my blog and I thought it worth re-posting here.

> Are we expected to put our life on hold while we wait breathlessly for this to appear?

"The short answer is "Yes." The technique is called "predatory announcement" and it's used by established operators to freeze out smaller competitors when they actually have nothing ready for market. The intent is to cause customers to put buying decisions on hold until the announcement is realized, buying critical time and potentially killing competitors without the cash reserves to make it through the dry spell. IBM and Microsoft are past masters of this.

In this case, we can speculate that Oly is worried that Sigma et.al.'s recent signing on to the m4/3 standard will undercut their dominance, especially since Sigma seems to have a much shorter development cycle than Oly."

• Like Like x 5
  17. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

"predatory announcement" - love that! It is oh so prevalent with car manufacturers as well.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I have about £200 knocking around, and I was thinking of the Panny 20mm, but that's a want rather than a need. With all these annoucements lately I am holding off until some of these new lenses appear.

• Like Like x 1
  19. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Yes I enjoyed that too. I had my suspicions that this was the point of Olympus and their "mock up" but I didn't know it had a name.

• Like Like x 1