New Oly EP Mini

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by WT21, Jun 20, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    It looks like a nice, little camera. But the question for me is, with an Oly 17mm - or even a Panny 14mm - on it, will it fit into a shirt or blazer pocket without a problem? If not, then I'll keep my Canon S95 for occasions when I need that kind of compactness. This applies to Pansonic's GF3 as well. Still, talk about ultra-fast, and ultra-accurate auto-focus on the Oly is pretty exciting. This is the area where I want to see the MFT players compete.
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Ultra fast autofocus, new sensor and image processor... sounds like a revolutionary change is on the way!

Can't wait...

Thanks for the link

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sounds like Olympus might be going the way of Panasonic, in shifting their lines around. They said the E-P3 should have a built-in flash and the E-PL3 should have a tilt screen, and now the E-PM1 looks like the same size as the XZ-1. So I'm guessing the E-PL3 will be more along the lines of the Panasonic GF-3, and the E-P3 will carry on from the current E-PL2.

At least one thing you know is that if Olympus designs the E-PL3 like the GF-3, they won't ditch the hotshoe. Even their XZ-1 as well as this supposed E-PM1 leak has a hotshoe, and how much smaller could they make the camera than that? There's no need to forsake essentials like a hotshoe for the sake of compactness.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It does sound terrific. If the E-PL3 has all that plus a flip LCD (like NEX), I'll be pre-ordering one for sure.
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Want...tilt focus...

Seriously though, it's starting to look like Olympus really has stepped up their game big time.
  7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Man, I am holding out to buy an E-pl2 after this announcement, however even the e-pm1 looks mighty tempting. If it retains a few of the controls found on the E-pl2 (mainly the control wheel), it might end up being my choice! If they pair it with the 17mm I'm sold (that focal length is a gap in my collection and makes a nice walk-around prime).