1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Oly 9mm pancake...grrrrrr

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by letsgofishing, Jan 30, 2014.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Would it really have killed Olympus to spend another dollar or 2 and put a thread on for filters???? :dash2::dash2::dash2:

Is this lens actually a fisheye? The FOV is stated as 140deg - the Rokinon 7.5 is 180deg and the Panny 7-14 is 114deg at 7mm?

2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    If the Rokinon had a filter you'd see it in the corners. Heck, if you have a large hand grip you'd see it in the corners! I think people will have that problem with this new BCL fisheye due to being so close to the body. You'll see a lot of fingers in it!

I don't know why they call them 7mm or 7.5mm or 9mm. My guess was that the center 25% of the frame is 7mm and the edges are what are wider, or something like that.

Still, the Rokinon is the one to get!

• Like Like x 1
  3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    First of all, it's a fisheye lens, so, as tjdean01 has said, you'd probably see the filter around the edges if you stick one on. Secondly, it's a body cap lens! Doesn't it defeat the purpose to stick a filter on a body cap? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  4. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you are a hard core fisheye shooter, then the bcl is probably not right for you. I had the ROK before and loved it but, it had to go cause I wanted a 75mm.. with that said i am in the market again for a fisheye. I looked hard at the Rok and tried to find a good deal on a used one.. I had just missed the bower deal that was going for $199… I have two BCLs now.. One I converted into a macro using an online tutorial i found and one I use as is… So this 9mm bcl is a no brainer for me as I like this type of lens for what it is… They are specialty lenses some call them toy lenses, but you will be amazed at what you can capture with them…

So no need to compare this to the ROK.. I could see having both in my bag..

• Like Like x 1
  5. letsgofishing

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    It's confusinh - as I siad, the FOV is 140 deg - not 180 deg like the Rok. I was wanting a UWA not quite as wide as the Rok, so I don't think you would see the filter in the corners...Still, the option would have been nice and no skin off Oly's nose....

6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Grrrr.
    I only occasionally need ultra wide. I bought the O9-18mm at great expense before the 9mm BCL was announced. The BCL will eat in to 9-18 sales a bit because of the price and poor people like me.

7. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fisheye is a type of projection, not a focal length. It can be a fisheye without matching the angle of view of other fisheye lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I don't think the 9 mm fisheye BCL will cannibalize the 9-18 or 7-14 market at all. It would however be a viable alternative for the Samyang 7.5 mm and its variants.

9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    OK. I have not yet seen the BCL results. I suppose they have the roundy distortion like the Samyang. And not rectilinear like the zoom. Phew. Ungrrrrrr.

10. otaillon

otaillon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    • Like Like x 2
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Why would you put a filter on what is essentially a toy lens? The whole point of it is to be cheap and simple. I don't see how a $20 filter fits with that.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    …. rookies ….

• Like Like x 1
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  14. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Im going to put a pre order for this one looks like it will be a useful ultra wide for not a lot of money, I don't go UW enough to warrant even the 7.5 and its too wide for me so this is a cert.

15. xixco

xixco New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2013
    I think this is just a really wide lens without any barrel correction, and they're just calling it "fisheye" so no one will cry that their cheap cap lens isn't completely rectilinear (because, let's be honest, someone out there would do that).

That's how those sample images look to me.

The wide angle adapter for my 14-42ii had that look, almost fishy.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Does the new pancake 14-42 lens have a filter thread? I cant see it in the close-ups.

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is possible to add a ring thread. It is done all the time to small video cameras for adding filters and wide/tele converters. Just get a step up ring and glue it on. However, the filter will surely cause vignetting. And by the way almost NO fisheyes have filter rings on them for this very reason. Some higher end fisheyes have filter slots at the back of the lens. There are also some after market products for adding filters, usually much larger square filters{see picture below}.

Sigma-8-16mm-x-pro-filter-holder.

• Like Like x 3
  18. letsgofishing

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Long exposure seascape....that's why....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Just cause it's a fisheye doesn't mean you have to take pics of water. That racist or something. Isn't it?? ;D

• Like Like x 6
  20. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    For the size of the opening, you can hold a ND filter in front. Then put your camera on a tripod and done.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app