Review New Oly 100-400: Impressions and images

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I quoted that article because I was trying to find out if it is reversible, something your statement made no mention of.
Humble apologies. I missed that question earlier. Ross has kindly put us in the picture on that one and I would definitely only take that one hood if I was taking both lenses on a trip as it is a perfectly fine fit in both directions on both lenses. Unfortunately it is not a good fit on the 12-100 F4.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Humble apologies. I missed that question earlier. Ross has kindly put us in the picture on that one and I would definitely only take that one hood if I was taking both lenses on a trip as it is a perfectly fine fit in both directions on both lenses. Unfortunately it is not a good fit on the 12-100 F4.
No worries, thanks for pointing out the ability to use of the 40-150 at all, that’s a great tip.

Regarding the 12-100, whilst having just one hood for 3 lenses would be great, I guess the wide end has such different requirements it couldn’t ever use the same hood as a telephoto without being in shot.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
I wouldn't be in this thread if the o75-300 was weather sealed. ;)

PXL_20201231_212756584.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
That's a cool picture, @Shortsonfire79 , but unless you do a lot of photography in this type of weather, couldn't you just carry an el-cheapo thing like an OpTech rainsleeve:
https://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-9001132-Rainsleeve/dp/B000PTFDYO ?
They're a little cumbersome, but they work fine for me.

Oh nice! It doesn't rain much here and I put a lot of confidence in Oly sealing. I do like the "cool":cautious: factor of having a naked camera in the rain though. I'll have to get one of those for my medium format camera that sits on my other shoulder strap. Had to put it in the pack once it started raining, just like the O75-300 I rented.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
@ me? It's an Osprey Talon 33L. Purposed for hiking and not photography, there's no padding. May or may not have been the reason I broke a 14-150ii at the lens mount when the pack tipped over on an airport xray table.

Steveinslc

Mu-43 Regular
Assuming you have that hanging on the Osprey pack using a Peak Capture Clip? If so how far have you hiked with the 100-400 and how did it feel. I've stayed away from carrying bigger lenses on the shoulder straps like that.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
@PhotoCal Osprey bags are good for their intended purpose, not the best as a camera bag. Thin material all around; I'm just too cheap to buy a dedicated camera bag and don't need a fashionable day pack. (esp when I'm dressed like a tomato)

Assuming you have that hanging on the Osprey pack using a Peak Capture Clip? If so how far have you hiked with the 100-400 and how did it feel. I've stayed away from carrying bigger lenses on the shoulder straps like that.

I do like it a lot. On the other strap I always carry a brick of a medium format camera (except rain). Furthest I've done that combo is shy of 8 miles. Planning to multiday backpack with the o100400 once it warms up a bit.

I find that with only the o100400 it offsets the backpack and makes that shoulder fatigue a bit more quickly. A liter water bottle on the opposite side can counteract this pretty well. Also, found that the o100400 is the perfect size to slip into a water bottle pouch when I swap for the 12-40mm.

Steveinslc

Mu-43 Regular
I do like it a lot. On the other strap I always carry a brick of a medium format camera (except rain). Furthest I've done that combo is shy of 8 miles. Planning to multiday backpack with the o100400 once it warms up a bit.

I find that with only the o100400 it offsets the backpack and makes that shoulder fatigue a bit more quickly. A liter water bottle on the opposite side can counteract this pretty well. Also, found that the o100400 is the perfect size to slip into a water bottle pouch when I swap for the 12-40mm.

I have a 645z...even with the smaller lenses, not sure I'd want that hanging on a shoulder strap. Is yours that much of a brick? If so, color me impressed.

And yes, the Osprey packs aren't going to protect as well as a dedicated photo pack. But they are definitely more comfortable for long hikes. Mine did about 14mi through the Costa Rican jungle with my smaller Pentax and a smaller 55-300 lens on the shoulder strap. Good to know that it's an option with the 100-400.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
My 645 camera with normal length lens/filmback (1520g) is a bit heavier than the 645z body w/o lens. It has the ergonomics of a brick for sure. I almost picked up an RB67 to backpack with but decided that I'd rather take two smaller cameras than one really big one.
PXL_20210117_042836520.jpg

To stay on topic, here's a picture of a red tail I snapped the other day.

P1100038.jpg

And a black capped chickadee from the rainy day.
PC310591.jpg

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
LOOSE SCREWS ?
Just a heads up - someone on fb posted that the front end bezel on their Olympus 100-400 lens has fallen off due to small retaining screws falling out
May have been loose from manufacturing
Worth checking these screws on your lenses
If you look at the original post and the comparative picture there you can clearly see one of the black countersunk posidrive type screws near the top of the lens ( front end of the lens) where there is a bezel which covers the front edge of the lens (screws are just above the chrome trim piece with light blue stripe through it)

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Here is a 1500 x 1125 pixel crop of a moon shot from last night (edited in Capture One & DeNoise, although it hardly needed it) with the 100-400 lens from my E-M1 II.

K1306330(CaptOne)adj-cr 1-DeNoiseAI-denoise-cr.jpg

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
LOOSE SCREWS ?
Just a heads up - someone on fb posted that the front end bezel on their Olympus 100-400 lens has fallen off due to small retaining screws falling out
May have been loose from manufacturing
Worth checking these screws on your lenses
If you look at the original post and the comparative picture there you can clearly see one of the black countersunk posidrive type screws near the top of the lens ( front end of the lens) where there is a bezel which covers the front edge of the lens (screws are just above the chrome trim piece with light blue stripe through it)

TWO of the three on my bayonet were loose. Loose enough that just lightly spinning the screwdriver without inward force was enough to thread/unthread it. Camera upright by its own balance. Thanks so much for sharing this information!

Any info about if loctite blue might cause any issue? I don't see any reason why it would.

https://flic.kr/p/2kxwLUi
That said, took it to the snow overnight. Dropped to 4°F and the lens performed admirably. Nothing worth keeping but at least it did well. Attached: One of me taken on EM5ii with 12-40/2.8 taking the second picture. Portraiture from afar is pretty neat. ƒ/5.6, 1/100, 138mm, ISO200
P1232304-Pano_edit2.jpg P1230272.jpg

Here's an Anna's hummingbird and American kestrel from yesterday's walk. Anna's ~100% crop with shadows and blacks really pumped up a ton, kestrel ~50% with minimal editing. The Anna's have started coming back to my office so I'll be able to spend my lunch chasing them around the parking lot.

P1300392.jpg

P1300528.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom