Review New Oly 100-400: Impressions and images

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Looking forward to your thoughts after you have been using it for awhile.
This is still on my radar, but I must admit the lack of sync IS is a worry for me. For what I was thinking of getting it for [birding] a few seconds to steady could lead to a lot of missed oportunitues. I only tried the G9 with the Panasonic 100-400 once for a few hours but from memory the dual IS worked really well and I would hate to go backwards from that combo.

If you could give some thoughts on the stabilization compared to the others you have used after you have used it for awhile it would be good. You are the only one who I can think of that has used a lot of tele zooms from a few systems to be really able to compare this lens to the opposition.
Plenty of time to consider anyway. Can't seem to find anyone that actually has it. I pre-ordered it and was told Sep-8 release... still waiting. Once again the Aussie version is made out of unobtanium... the rarest element in the universe. If only they made them from stupidium, there's always lots of that to go round!

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Plenty of time to consider anyway. Can't seem to find anyone that actually has it. I pre-ordered it and was told Sep-8 release... still waiting. Once again the Aussie version is made out of unobtanium... the rarest element in the universe. If only they made them from stupidium, there's always lots of that to go round!
Your right none of the stores I buy from have one, or seem to even be interested

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Mine was delayed for some time - took about 6 weeks to get mine - apparently the level of sales have been higher than expected and initial supplies seem to still be going out to pre orders in the U.K. and are sold before they arrive (at least that was the case until a few days ago)
Dealers here are showing the Lens as pre orders or advising customers to phone up to check on availability
They are either in very short supply or selling extremely successfully and quickly. Shame that this is happening after Olympus made the decision to bail out - a few more products like this and cutting out some of the less popular/profitable products may have enabled them to slowly turn the corner (although the situation was/is probably far more complicated than I can comprehend at the moment)

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Your right none of the stores I buy from have one, or seem to even be interested
I expect some stores have lost at least some interest in Olympus and consider it a high risk to sell their products with the sale to JIP - especially now with the Covid situation
They probably don’t want to risk being lumbered with potentially loss making stock (which is possibly how they are viewing the situation even if we here don’t)

Last edited:

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just asked Google Assistant "what is the Olympus 100-400 Weight".

It responded "A long time". :whistling:

Amazon UK and Olympus UK have removed it from their web sites. I think that's due to a cashback promotion they are running throughout October, so I'm not expecting to see mine delivered until some time in November.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
Man, reading the comments I'll mark myself lucky. Found a shop in Seattle that doesn't tax to California, ayooo, and it had free shipping. Got a call after ordering and found out that it was the last one and on hold but also 10% off due to "open box" return. Heck yeah I'd go for it. $1350! (plus 5x rolls of Portra 400). Ordered it on Thursday and was supposed to get it on Monday but UPS said they couldn't deliver to our closed business. We were open; I was sitting in my car waiting for them to show up when I got the "we tried" text. It arrived Tuesday.

Excuse the dirty lab scale...

For your consideration: EM1ii, 100400, a trio of peak design hard points, and the capture clip arca plate. Also just the 100400 with lenscap, hood, and foot.

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_111245.jpg
    IMG_20201015_111245.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20201015_111252.jpg
    IMG_20201015_111252.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Just wondering why you didn’t do what I’ve just had to do to find out ?
Typed Olympus 100-400 Weight on google ?
1120 g
Just wondering why you think I'm so stupid that I didn't already do that. The weight given on all places I could find is WITHOUT the tripod mount, which is why I specifically asked WITH the tripod mount. :) Someone who has one will have to weigh it for me, I think. It would be appreciated.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Just wondering why you think I'm so stupid that I didn't already do that. The weight given on all places I could find is WITHOUT the tripod mount, which is why I specifically asked WITH the tripod mount. :) Someone who has one will have to weigh it for me, I think. It would be appreciated.

Apologies just typed in Olympus 100-400 weight with tripod foot and got this response first go - so not stupid but could try harder perhaps :rolleyes-38:

3655228A-6393-492D-BC94-0FE092CBB6E2.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
This is one seriously heavy lens (with that foot). I've been thinking that I'm finally able to reduce the weight of my Canon 80D DSLR (a pretty large camera) plus the 400mm 5.6L lens (a fairly large grey Canon lens). Surely substituting the small E-M5 and the new Oly 100-400 would cut back a lot. Well, not so fast - it saves me a lousy .3 lbs. (1980g vs 1813g). And that's if I don't put any grip on the E-M5. Oh well...

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
This is one seriously heavy lens (with that foot). I've been thinking that I'm finally able to reduce the weight of my Canon 80D DSLR (a pretty large camera) plus the 400mm 5.6L lens (a fairly large grey Canon lens). Surely substituting the small E-M5 and the new Oly 100-400 would cut back a lot. Well, not so fast - it saves me a lousy .3 lbs. (1980g vs 1813g). And that's if I don't put any grip on the E-M5. Oh well...

I think it has ended up as heavy as it is because it was based upon a Sigma FF/APSC Lens (and I think it has been extended to allow for the attachment of the TCs)

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Apologies just typed in Olympus 100-400 weight with tripod foot and got this response first go - so not stupid but could try harder perhaps :rolleyes-38:

View attachment 852676

Largest and heaviest?

20cm?

Could be worse.......

Sony 200-600mm f6.3 is 32cm long, sans hood, and weighs 2.1kg. Let's forget that it's also (equiv) 200mm shorter f/l for now.

Better dynamic range though - although if it's sunny enough for a 600mm f6.3 with inferior IBIS, not sure the extra DR will be needed.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
Could be worse.......
Sony 200-600mm f6.3 is 32cm long, sans hood, and weighs 2.1kg. Let's forget that it's also (equiv) 200mm shorter f/l for now.

Agreed. I'm miles happier with the 100400 than I was with the (rented) Tamron 150-600mm. Both were portable for backpacking but the Oly100400 is much moreso. The only major plus I'd give the Sony 200-600G (that I didn't try) is that it's an internal zoom which is way better for weather sealing.

Personal preference but I much prefer Oly usability/comfort/ergonomics/IBIS to Sony's.

Attachments

• P3210016.jpg
    P3210016.jpg
    903.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20201013_170206.jpg
    IMG_20201013_170206.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 223

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
The only major plus I'd give the Sony 200-600G (that I didn't try) is that it's an internal zoom which is way better for weather sealing.

It seems that Sony weather/dust sealing leaves a lot to be desired, judging from various tear downs of their bodies ...

All but one of my Olympus zooms are trombone style. I've never had a problem with any of them.

My FTs 50-200 MkI weighs around 1100 gms with hood and collar.

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Very exited today. It finally turned up!
Very hasty shots between meetings and coding.
1A160154.JPG

1A160155.JPG

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Most UK dealers were still showing the Oly 100-400 as pre order, stocks coming in on a regular basis or out of stock so these would still appear to be in short supply and being supplied to previous orders in the first instance

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
It's worth the weight and the wait.

I think I need to bring mine to work and go out at lunch.

Last week I took mine out to a nearby pond that's usually decent for birding. Unfortunately, the pond is an old quarry pit so it loses light early and I had only about 20 minutes of light. I didn't see many birds.

I ordered two OpTech lens loops, which really helped to lighten the load.

I'm looking forward to some rain (for the birds) and daylight (and a day off) so I can get some images that show what this lens (and this photographer) can do.

Latest threads

Top Bottom