Review New Oly 100-400: Impressions and images

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
All this is putting me on the fence, 100-400 or EM1-mk3?
Go for the lens! You won't regret it. I've had mine since early September and really enjoy it. It's been flawless. I've posted some images on the lens showcase thread.

I have the EM1.2 and the EM1.3's Live ND was intriguing. But I've seen some results and, frankly, they look pretty fake - like poor HDR.

They say to choose glass over a body. In this case that's definitely a good idea.

Real Name
John ...
Do you mean for use on a monopod or a tripod? For a monopod it seems like overkill (I usually use a tilt head meant for monopods). For a tripod with long lenses, I usually use a 3-way pan/tilt head (like you'd use with a spotting scope or video camera, but with the 3rd adjustment).

I could see where that ball grip might be better than a regular ball head for a long lens (gives you more leverage), but just looking at it, it seems that it has no separate pan lock, so when you loosen it you have complete adjustability, which seems like a bad thing to me for a long lens. I mean usually (note I said usually) you don't want to go vertical with a long lens, so having the head easily allow that is bothersome, as would be a ball head with no pan lock.

It does look interesting, so perhaps you could explain why it is good for use with a long lens. :)
As I said, Rich, it's like waltzing.

First time I used it (with a monopod), it was on a monopod belonging to a Russian motor sport pro who was visiting Melbourne, at about 0200H at the motel he was staying at (other side of Melbourne ... ). We had spent the day in the CBD. He came to our place for dinner, then I took him back to his motel.

I was hooked! Bought a Benro monopod and a second hand 322RC. Stripped, cleaned, reassembled and adjusted the latter. Used it with my E-30 + 50-200 a lot.

The 322RC can also be used as a pistol grip. Didn't suit me.

Watch the level gauge in the EVF ...

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Go for the lens! You won't regret it. I've had mine since early September and really enjoy it. It's been flawless. I've posted some images on the lens showcase thread.

I have the EM1.2 and the EM1.3's Live ND was intriguing. But I've seen some results and, frankly, they look pretty fake - like poor HDR.

They say to choose glass over a body. In this case that's definitely a good idea.
The only other two advantages of Mk III are better face detection if people are the thing & the joystick (multi-selector), but the 100-400 lens is certainly great for wildlife etc.
There will be sales of the Mk III next year too.
Here's a SOOC JPEG (Vivid mode), E-M1 II with 100-400 lens. Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo up in a Banksia integrifolia tree in our driveway. Editing the raw can get more out of it too (in Capture One etc).
KC032922.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Does anyone think that attaching a PD Anchor to the Tripod mount as per the picture below is a bad idea
(Please note, I do realise this is not actually attached, it is just there to indicate what I am thinking about)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Does anyone think that attaching a PD Anchor to the Tripod mount as per the picture below is a bad idea
(Please note, I do realise this is not actually attached, it is just there to indicate what I am thinking about)
View attachment 861267
If it was me I would not mount it to that tightening screw if that is what you mean.
I would only mount to a dedicated mounting position that hopefully is designed for such.
If nothing else it could lead to premature wear of the thread outer layer

I use a Peak Design PL-S-3 Standard Plate as in the picture below. It looks like the strap buttons would get in the way of the tripod clamp but they never have.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use a Peak Design PL-S-3 Standard Plate as in the picture below. It looks like the strap buttons would get in the way of the tripod clamp but they never have.

View attachment 861293
Good idea.
It bugged me that I did not have a way to support the heavy lens, when walking about.
But which side of the strap to attach to the tripod collar?
I wish there was a way to attach a third anchor (on the tripod collar) to the PD strap.

Good idea.
It bugged me that I did not have a way to support the heavy lens, when walking about.
But which side of the strap to attach to the tripod collar?
I wish there was a way to attach a third anchor (on the tripod collar) to the PD strap.
I attach both ends of the PD strap to the tripod collar. It hangs nicely.

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark

View attachment 861293
Hey thanks for the reply, definitely a "great minds" moment.
Here is what I did this morning, and it is quite comfortable on a shoulder strap between the plate and the left-most anchor-link on the camera body.
I "stole" it from my 40-150 2.8 pro, so I guess I will have to buy another one.
Still seems a shame to have to put that plate on, when the foot is already arca-swiss compatible.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Hey thanks for the reply, definitely a "great minds" moment.
Here is what I did this morning, and it is quite comfortable on a shoulder strap between the plate and the left-most anchor-link on the camera body.
I "stole" it from my 40-150 2.8 pro, so I guess I will have to buy another one.
Still seems a shame to have to put that plate on, when the foot is already arca-swiss compatible.
View attachment 861312
A much better alternative to the screw though. First thing that crossed my mind was 'that plastic collar was never designed as a camera support'.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think if I was going to put a plate on the foot to use as a strap mounting I would like to use the second screw hole as well for added security and to avoid twisting of the plate
That is if you can use the second hole that looks like 1/4. If it is not 1/4 you may be able to use another screw in the plate slot for what ever thread it is ?
mount.jpg

Something like this plate below. you could grind off the lip on the end if it got in the way, or use a smaller dia screw if that second hole is not 1/4
https://www.gumptrade.com/14010004601.html
plate.jpg

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The second hold is definitely not 1/4, more like half that again.
I just edit my post to reflect that, possibly use a smaller dia screw with a washer under it. I like like the idea of a second screw for safety because when I tried one of the peak design plates it rotated a bit, and you were going to swing that big lens on it I would hate it to come loose.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
My first impressions are this lens is much better than the reviews as this is in edited straight out of the camera at 400mm iso1000 SS200 F6.2 handholding OMDem1mk3 this is super sharp I may sell my 300f4
AB971D66-DC4A-492F-B11D-B59E5A045224.jpeg

Real Name
Jeff
I think if I was going to put a plate on the foot to use as a strap mounting I would like to use the second screw hole as well for added security and to avoid twisting of the plate
That is if you can use the second hole that looks like 1/4. If it is not 1/4 you may be able to use another screw in the plate slot for what ever thread it is ?
View attachment 861341

Something like this plate below. you could grind off the lip on the end if it got in the way, or use a smaller dia screw if that second hole is not 1/4
https://www.gumptrade.com/14010004601.html
View attachment 861339
The smaller black threaded/forward hole is M3.0 x .5mm threads.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
I would like a solution to adding a PD anchor to the foot too. I saw someone drilled a hole into theirs for the 300/4. I'll wait for y'all to exhaust all the options before doing that!

In the meantime, went on a dayhike with it today. Works great with the Peak Design Capture clip; you have to flip the foot up to get the body-mounted tripod plate to fit properly. I unfortunately don't have a better picture to attach. :whistling: (weight offset by PD Capture and Bronica ETRSi on the other shoulder)

Additionally, continuing to test the focus and tracking of the EM1ii + O100400 combo. Doggie at an uphill sprint worked out pretty well at 261mm, f/6.1, 1/1000s, H burst at 15 fps, not cropped. Attached is a 33% compressed gif. Most of the 36 images are sharp and in focus. Why I don't bother playing with 4k video, I don't know...
PC052798.jpg
Arya_Sprint_33.gif

OMDem1mk3 this is super sharp I may sell my 300f4
I think you may be the first person I've seen to say that. That's great news for me!

Attachments

Last edited:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I use a couple of OpTech lens loops to support the lens. It allows me to easily use the tripod collar.
A set of lens loops is about $10.
When I'm not using the Oly 100-400 I can easily disconnect the lens loops to reattach my neck strap to the connections on the body.

I would never attach anything to a tripod socket unless it's a quick-release plate.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I received my 100-400 a day early - today. I'll be too busy until Wednesday to try out the lens. On the other hand, the unboxing made an instant impression on me: it resembles the sort of box that would contain an upper-shelf bottle of scotch or maybe Maker's Mark. o_O I don't remember my PRO lens showing up in such classy clothes.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom