New Oly 100-400: Impressions and images

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
I ordered two OpTech lens loops, which really helped to lighten the load.
At your convenience can you post a pic of your optech setup? Pics online show it going right up against the lens-camera mount. That's basically where I have my sling mounted to my tripod screw. I'd be interested in a different way to carry this chonker as it currently slings over a shoulder and the lens hood slaps against my lower back/butt as I walk.

Attachments

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Also, anyone who has it, is yours missing a screw next to the 1/4" tripod screw hole? Mine was used so who knows what happened to this one. The whole tripod foot seems to be one solid moulded piece so I can't tell what this tiny screw is supposed to go to.

Attachments

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Also, anyone who has it, is yours missing a screw next to the 1/4" tripod screw hole? Mine was used so who knows what happened to this one. The whole tripod foot seems to be one solid moulded piece so I can't tell what this tiny screw is supposed to go to.
Looks like a hole to accommodate the spring pin found on many tripod plates to stop the foot rotating around the screw.

On that note, has anyone got a suggestion on attaching a Peak Design Anchor to the Lens Tripod Mount?
I mounted the Anchor on my 300 f/4 tripod foot by machining a hole and eliminating part of the web. It fits tight, so it's easy to keep the Anchor on top of the foot when not in use.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
EM124121-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
At your convenience can you post a pic of your optech setup? Pics online show it going right up against the lens-camera mount. That's basically where I have my sling mounted to my tripod screw. I'd be interested in a different way to carry this chonker as it currently slings over a shoulder and the lens hood slaps against my lower back/butt as I walk.
I use my Lens Loop with an OpTech Utility Sling. I don't like neck straps. One slider goes to the Lens Loop and takes most of the load and the 2nd slider to a safety clip I rigged up for the tripod socket. No reason why the 2nd slider couldn't attach to the strap lug though. I use OpTech's QD clips. The loop does rest at the base of the lens mount near the body. Have had no problems with that. The sling goes crossbody and keeps the camera and lens fairly snug against my hip. Doesn't swing around much. When I have a big lens like the 100-400 on the sling though, I'll often carry it resting in my arms so it's ready for quick shots.

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Mine looks like that too. I presume it is how it is meant to be.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks everyone for the replies a our the extra hole. Good stuff!

I’m just amazed anyone has a used copy already.
Agreed! I ordered it thinking it was new and the shop called to inform me that it was open box, returned within 30 days and had Oly warranty still. Way lucky!

And whoever has it last screwed a small Arca plate on the bottom. Extra bonus!

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
I don't know if my setup would help much as I don't use a sling.
The lens loops do fit tight on the lens. I remove the tripod collar when it's the lens is not on the tripod.

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
I just checked the Olympus European online shop and it's not listed. There are a couple of lenses that are listed as out of stock so it's not just that the 100-400 is not currently in stock. Seems a little odd given that it has only been recently released. Perhaps the early adopters now have an appreciating classic on their hands :)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Just had an email from Amazon UK saying they've cancelled my order due to their supplier informing them that the Oly 100-400 is no longer available :eek-31::eek-31::eek-31:
Phone SRS on Monday - they'll tell you what's going on.

In the UK, I am led to believe that pre-authorisations fall off debit cards in 1-8 days, credit cards up to 30 days.

Furthermore, 30 days is the favourite 'reasonable amount of time' in terms of EU Internet selling.

They are probably not guaranteed their stock within 30 days - especially if they are paying the least for it.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I know that this is about UK, but if it's really true that they are not going to be available, period, then it would seem to be true in USA too, right?

On that front, I got an email on 10/13 from B&H - admittedly awhile ago - saying that it was still out of stock. I just checked it now on their website and it says "Expected availability: Nov 16, 2020" which is kind of what I've been expecting.

So are we to not panic? Or can this really be happening (not being able to get it)? But I want it! (I just stamped my foot).

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Phone SRS on Monday - they'll tell you what's going on.

In the UK, I am led to believe that pre-authorisations fall off debit cards in 1-8 days, credit cards up to 30 days.

Furthermore, 30 days is the favourite 'reasonable amount of time' in terms of EU Internet selling.

They are probably not guaranteed their stock within 30 days - especially if they are paying the least for it.
Makes sense, but I've decided not to pursue the 100-400 purchase at this time. I'm going to wait until it's more readily available and it's been in the hands of end users for a little while. For now I've ordered a MC20 which I'll use with my 40-150 Pro, and then with the 100-400 when the time comes.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Makes sense, but I've decided not to pursue the 100-400 purchase at this time. I'm going to wait until it's more readily available and it's been in the hands of end users for a little while. For now I've ordered a MC20 which I'll use with my 40-150 Pro, and then with the 100-400 when the time comes.
Oly still gets your business. ;) so does that mean you'll be parting with your mc14?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom