Review New Oly 100-400: Impressions and images

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Hello all, been here for a while looking but first post so please be gentle!!
bought a 100-400 and after a very, very long wait 😴 it arrived late last week, absolutely love it and insanely sharp but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the out of focus areas of pics being, hmm, I don’t know how to describe it other than off putting? An example is attached. The focus point was on my sons head which is amazingly sharp but looking at the bush behind him it just looks odd? is this just me or is this a thing? I could be going slightly mad! I find that anything longer and this affect is amplified, not got an example at the moment but will try and post later. Thanks

I'm not sure I understand the problem, so it's hard to troubleshoot. You admit the kid's head was your point of focus and that it looks sharp.

I have to ask why you took this picture. What is the story you wanted to tell? There is no clear subject identified.

You can crop or use focus to lead the viewer's attention in the direction you want to go.

If it was to be a picture of two people walking a dog, then why is the person on the right pointing backwards.

I wouldn't consider this an optical illusion, just a confusing photograph. We've all had our share.

Glad you're happy with this lens. I've had mine since it was released. I'm very pleased at what it can do SOOC.

Markyboy72

New to Mu-43
I'm not sure I understand the problem, so it's hard to troubleshoot. You admit the kid's head was your point of focus and that it looks sharp.

I have to ask why you took this picture. What is the story you wanted to tell? There is no clear subject identified.

You can crop or use focus to lead the viewer's attention in the direction you want to go.

If it was to be a picture of two people walking a dog, then why is the person on the right pointing backwards.

I wouldn't consider this an optical illusion, just a confusing photograph. We've all had our share.

Glad you're happy with this lens. I've had mine since it was released. I'm very pleased at what it can do SOOC.
As I said before it’s just a test shot, nothing more, nothing less.. no story, The lens had just arrived and it was a quick test shot.. I’m sure you’ve taken these shots too? It would have been a shot I would have deleted however I noticed that the out of focus areas were confusing, but on further inspection I can see how the lamppost and my wife’s arm is confusing me with straight lines into busy out of focus areas.

I’ve had the lens a couple of weeks now and absolutely love it. It’s very sharp indeed and the bokeh is lovely.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
If I need to test a lens I look for static subjects. That way I can more quickly see any flaws and duplicate the problem/solution.

If I want to check speed-related issues (AF, for example) I use cars on a nearby road as they have a fairly consistent speed.

But yes, I've taken shots for test. My outdoor thermometer is used a bit as it helps guage resolution. Its story is in the numbers it displays.

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Real Name
Dave Cherry
Here are a few last images for this thread from me. thanks to everyone who participated. After this, I will focus on a similar thread for the 150-400. As for the fate of my 100-400, which really is an excellent lens, I have not yet decided.

All photos from the Low Country of South Carolina.
P3221016.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P3221035.jpg
P3221183.jpg
P3241251.jpg
P4051698.jpg
P4272383.jpg
P4272505.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom