Review New Oly 100-400: Impressions and images

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think use of the tripod collar/foot depends on your hand, how you hold the lens and work the zoom ring, and how easy it is to turn the zoom ring.
On my Nikon 70-200/4, I rest the foot of the reversed collar in my left hand and work the zoom with my thumb and fingers.
On my 40-150/2.8, the zoom ring requires more force to turn, so I can't use my fingers to zoom, I have to grip the zoom ring and turn with my hand. So I don't use the tripod collar/foot, when hand-holding.

I agree with @L0n3Gr3yW0lf about the EVF.
The EM1-mk1 was BAD, the last frame froze in the EVF for a second, even with Rec View=off.
The mk2 is much better, but there is still a very short freeze. This is with the e-shutter.
It would be REALLY nice if the EVF was trully continuous, NO image freezing.

Even with the lesser IS (OIS + IBIS) than Sync-IS, I think it is still better than IBIS only when shooting with the 75-300.
I've shot the 75-300 where I was moving in the wind more than the IBIS could compensate for.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
R020623.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
lookout.jpg

Sentinel. Looking out for threats and warning the others with a bark.

There are many schools of thought regarding 'sentinel duty' meerkat behaviour, including altruism, selfishness and simply being the least liked member of the family who will be last one down into the burrow when danger approaches.

Last edited:

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
If you were going to Yellowstone/Tetons almost primarily for wildlife, would you rent the MC-14 for the trip?

I previously rented the MC-20 + O100400 and found it to be a bit underwhelming; my crops were seemingly more soft than the native O100400. I haven't tried the MC-14 on anything before so I'm a bit apprehensive. I know I can get good shots on the native O100400 so would I really benefit from the extra reach with questionable result (based on my personal skills)?

I'll be backpacking with the lens (and like five others as well as two-three 135/6x4.5/6x9 film bodies) so additional weight isn't an issue. I'll also have my cf tripod but always favor handheld so I can be on the move.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I think if it's a trip that you cannot easily make (i.e. it is special), I'd skip even the 1.4 TC. You will lose some IQ, IMHO. The other wrinkle is that any shot you take that isn't real sharp you'll be apt to blame the TC (with good reason, probably), but at least if you use the lens-only, you'll know that you got the best you can.

As far as the weight (even though you say it doesn't matter), just FYI, the 1.4 TC is TINY. Kind of amazing, actually.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
If you were going to Yellowstone/Tetons almost primarily for wildlife, would you rent the MC-14 for the trip?

I previously rented the MC-20 + O100400 and found it to be a bit underwhelming; my crops were seemingly more soft than the native O100400. I haven't tried the MC-14 on anything before so I'm a bit apprehensive. I know I can get good shots on the native O100400 so would I really benefit from the extra reach with questionable result (based on my personal skills)?

I'll be backpacking with the lens (and like five others as well as two-three 135/6x4.5/6x9 film bodies) so additional weight isn't an issue. I'll also have my cf tripod but always favor handheld so I can be on the move.
I would also suggest leaving off the TCs with that Oly 100-400 lens as cropping would likely give you sharper results.
EDIT: I should clarify, as the slower shutter speed with TC's can end up with blurry images & why I don't generally use them with this lens.

Last edited:

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
TWO of the three on my bayonet were loose. Loose enough that just lightly spinning the screwdriver without inward force was enough to thread/unthread it. Camera upright by its own balance. Thanks so much for sharing this information!

Any info about if loctite blue might cause any issue? I don't see any reason why it would.

https://flic.kr/p/2kxwLUi
Started our road trip last night. Woke up to let the gf take the first leg of the day. Grabbed my camera and there was a rattling sound. Stomach sunk. Turning the camera around it was coming from the 100-400mm...

To my (slight) relief, one of those bayonet screws had come out and was captured by the inverted lens hood. Was able to get it back in with my pocket knife but I don't have a glasses repair kit on hand.

Will probably be loctiting that when I get home if I don't lose the screw. See y'all in Yellowstone! Opted to not get a teleconverter as I agree with what you guys say about probably being dissatisfied and/or blaming the tc on lower image quality. Thanks!

PXL_20210527_153347739.jpg

PXL_20210526_205224606.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom