New Oly 100-400: Impressions and images

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Well, it arrived today, and I took a little time to check it out and shoot a few images with it and my E-M1X.
First impressions were how solidly built it is. I's bigger and heavier than the P/L 100-400, but smaller and lighter than the 300f/4 Pro:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The balance on the E-M1X seems just right, and with this large a lens, it's nice having the vertical grip. The controls are smooth, and I got no lens creep even with the lock disengaged.

Handheld 1/30th second @400mm:

Notice it's a bit softer on the edges, but I don't think I was perfectly parallel to the image plane. Better to test with a tripod. Next I went outdoors, on a cold, wet day. Unbelievable weather for New Mexico. 90 degrees on Tuesday, two inches of snow yesterday morning.

Most of these were shot at ISO 1000, to keep shutter speeds up. Eventuallythe sun came out for a bit, and I was able to shoot at ISO 400.

My ferocious 7 month old aussie pup, Sunshine. He's actually just chewing on some grass, so he can go inside and throw up, one of his best tricks.

Continued next post...

Real Name
Dave Cherry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm very pleased with the close focus, and the image stabilization is pretty good. I just left it turned on on the lens, and IBIS set to auto in the E-M1X. With time I'll be able to determine best settings, but I.m pretty happy with the keeper rate i got. Almost all images shot at 400mm and f/8.

I'm also impressed with the smoothness of the out of focus areas. Quite nice, I think.

P9100221.jpg
P9100228.jpg
P9100241.jpg
P9100223.jpg

This was a quick review, but overall I am very pleased with this lens. It seems fo be very sharp, sharper at 400mm than the P/L, handles well, is well built, focuses close, and has good image stabilization.
All images were handheld.

One more note, the tripod foot has an Arca-Swiss plate built in. It is very solid, and fit perfectly on an RRS quick release.

Last edited:
Real Name
Dave Cherry
I'll have to try that side by side and get back to you, but I was impressed by how steady the Oly was. It was quite noticeable.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I just got mine late this afternoon, so only had time for unboxing photos and a few quickie test shots. Very nice, and significantly heavier than my 40-150 Pro+MC-20. Maybe it's because my arms are like limp noodles after being stuck in the house for five months! Not enough exercise and shooting time. Time to pump some iron!

Yes, the close focus is impressive, zoom ring is very smooth, AF is almost instantaneous even inside a dark house, it feels very solid and dense, and very well made. It feels good. Now to build up some muscle.

Album combines FOGRIP tests and 100-400 unboxing and quick test shots. Too tired to pick a few examples, so please help yourself if interested and read the comments.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/xc8W8s

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Pictures and OOF areas look fine to me.

How does the stilization hold up to keeping the image steady at 400mm compared to the Pany 100-400?

Sounds like you pup has been taking lessons from some cats I know
OK, I tried it with both lenses. I can't say I noticed either being significantly better.
Both did quite well.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Album combines FOGRIP tests and 100-400 unboxing and quick test shots. Too tired to pick a few examples, so please help yourself if interested and read the comments.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/xc8W8s
That FOGRIP looks interesting, could you give us your thoughts on it after using it for awhile. From their site it looks like the inside where the camera sits has holes for the location pins [or what ever you call them] on the bottom of the camera EM1.3 Are they deep enough so the camera does not sit on them when mounted? If the camera sits on the pins it could put pressure on the tripod socket.

Looks like that "L" bracket allows more movement than most. Be good to see some shots of the movement it allows. Looks like it partly covers the rubber flaps on the EM1.3 a bit, can they be opened with the "L" bracket on?

Had a look on their site and got as far as the checkout with out paying and could not tell if the currency was local AUD or USD. I am guessing USD which raised the price a bit, but no more expensive than the RRS one

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
That FOGRIP looks interesting, could you give us your thoughts on it after using it for awhile. From their site it looks like the inside where the camera sits has holes for the location pins [or what ever you call them] on the bottom of the camera EM1.3 Are they deep enough so the camera does not sit on them when mounted? If the camera sits on the pins it could put pressure on the tripod socket.

Looks like that "L" bracket allows more movement than most. Be good to see some shots of the movement it allows. Looks like it partly covers the rubber flaps on the EM1.3 a bit, can they be opened with the "L" bracket on?

Had a look on their site and got as far as the checkout with out paying and could not tell if the currency was local AUD or USD. I am guessing USD which raised the price a bit, but no more expensive than the RRS one
Sure, will do. Let me use it in some shooting and I'll be able to respond with more detail.

We should ask the moderator to move this message to another thread relating more to accessory grips. There is one for grips for the 5.3.

Last edited:
Well, it arrived today, and I took a little time to check it out and shoot a few images with it and my E-M1X.
First impressions were how solidly built it is. I's bigger and heavier than the P/L 100-400, but smaller and lighter than the 300f/4 Pro:

View attachment 846285

The balance on the E-M1X seems just right, and with this large a lens, it's nice having the vertical grip. The controls are smooth, and I got no lens creep even with the lock disengaged.

Handheld 1/30th second @400mm:

View attachment 846287
Interesting and enlightening, thanks for posting.
Couldn't help notice the reading material.
Do you make things from wood? Any images?
Wood is beautiful and I never tire of craftsmanship and wood combined

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Interesting and enlightening, thanks for posting.
Couldn't help notice the reading material.
Do you make things from wood? Any images?
Wood is beautiful and I never tire of craftsmanship and wood combined
I do and I will. I have a very nice home shop--not that I'm a woodworker of the quality of "Fine woodworking".

Edit: I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but here's a couple shots of my shop and a recent project--some storage drawers and bookcases in my office.

Last edited:
Real Name
Dave Cherry
Aaaand...back to the main topic. As promised, here are some shots with the 100-400 with the MC-14. All shot at ISO 200, and handheld. Check out some of the shutter speeds. My keeper rate was more than 50%. I think that's impressive given my lack of practice and the fact that I was using such a long lens combination handheld. I think this lens is a keeper.

I'm very impressed with how well this combination did. In some cases, I think the combo did better at ISO 200 than the 100-400 alone at the higher ISOs I used yesterday (400 and 1000). That's a judgement call, or for someone who wants to do a more rigorous test.

I'm also very pleased with the smoothness of the OOF areas, the speed of autofocus, and the effectiveness of the Image stabilization while handholding. As someone pointed out in the other thread, Olympus instructs us to turn off lens priority stabilization, and turn it on on the lens. I did that today, and it may explain why the shots today came out as well as they did. More thoughts to explore.

Mountain_Man_79

Wu-Tang is Forever
Real Name
Chris
Real Name
Dave Cherry
What's going on with puppy's eyes?
Nere's a shot that shows it better

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Aaaand...back to the main topic. As promised, here are some shots with the 100-400 with the MC-14. All shot at ISO 200, and handheld. Check out some of the shutter speeds. My keeper rate was more than 50%. I think that's impressive given my lack of practice and the fact that I was using such a long lens combination handheld. I think this lens is a keeper.

I'm very impressed with how well this combination did. In some cases, I think the combo did better at ISO 200 than the 100-400 alone at the higher ISOs I used yesterday (400 and 1000). That's a judgement call, or for someone who wants to do a more rigorous test.

I'm also very pleased with the smoothness of the OOF areas, the speed of autofocus, and the effectiveness of the Image stabilization while handholding. As someone pointed out in the other thread, Olympus instructs us to turn off lens priority stabilization, and turn it on on the lens. I did that today, and it may explain why the shots today came out as well as they did. More thoughts to explore.View attachment 846488View attachment 846489View attachment 846490View attachment 846491View attachment 846492
What were the shutter speeds, not being a subscriber I cant see them. Good to see the lens is proving to be a good one.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom