New old guy from Ohio

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by crashton, Mar 20, 2013.

1. crashton

crashton New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2013
    Ohio USA
    Hello folks. I'm new here, but not new to cameras. Currenty using a Nikon D7000 & various lenses. My experience with mirrorless is limited to my Nikon V1. I love the freedom a light weight camera gives me. My next camera will be some flavor of Oly M43, not sure which yet. When I make the switch my Nikon gear will be sold off.

I hope to learn a lot & contribute here.

Cheers Chuck
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Welcome, Chuck! It seems like you've figured it out already, but I think you'll find that :43: represents a "sweet spot" between the two systems you're using now. Much smaller and lighter than the DSLR while still retaining many of the benefits.
  3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Welcome from a fellow Ohioan!
  4. crashton

crashton New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2013
    Ohio USA
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

I really like the idea of my camera bag losing weight. From what I have seen the output from these cameras are great. The one sticking point for me is the lack pf PDAF. I've been spoiled by my Nikon's fast focus. One of the things I like to do is shoot motorsport. If I can find a M43 that has fast enough AF I'm in.

Any thoughts on the speed of focus?

5. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Welcome "new guy" from and old guy who went to school in Ohio. I made a similar move and am loving the E-M5. Look forward to hearing how your transition goes.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum! Lots of fine :43: gear to choose from.
  7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Crashton, welcome aboard!

As a former Nikon D300 user I can attest that the OM-D EM-5 is worth a look-see as a successor to a DSLR.

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Welcome aboard Chuck!
    I still have my V1 also, but I seldom use it since getting my OM-D E-M5 and my E-PL5. It seems to be relegated to time-lapse (which it does excellently).

And good luck selling off your Nikon DX gear. Take it from me, with the hickup that the D800 caused, a lot of folks are skeptical of Nikon products and seem to only want equipment that they think they get a warranty on.
  9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Welcome from Dayton.