New O-MD EM-5 user issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hamuga, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Hamuga

Hamuga New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2013
    Hi, I have been lurking for quite a few months.
    Long story short I take a ton of pictures with my D700 but was looking for something lighter and smaller.
    Picked up a O-MD EM-5 a about a week ago, and I have been generally pleased with it, after setting the menu system up some.
    Till yesterday.
    I take the SD card every night and grab the pictures off of it, then put it back in so it is ready the next day.
    Yesterday when I turned the camera on, about 1 second before I wanted to take pictures of my son acting crazy, the camera said there was not a memory card inserted. I did not notice the message till after I thought I had taken 4-5 pictures. (which didn't save)
    Turned the camera off, pulled the memory card and put it back in. Turned the camera on and it was fine.

The exact same thing happened to me again today. I don't see the error till I stop trying to take pictures and all of those chances are lost.
    I suppose some of the blame should rest on me to see the message before I try to start shooting, but the memory card is seated properly and empty and ready to take pictures.

I have since updated the firmware to 1.6.

Has anyone else run across this issue?
    It's driving me crazy and making me want to go back to my D700.

I am using a used PL1.4 and it only seems to rattlesnake every once in a while. I am still getting used to the skin tones I am getting.
    Thanks.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    have you tried another card?.... how long have you had the card?... are maybe the contacts on the card dirty? Have you tried reformatting the card?

apply some logical thought to your problem.

Whats more likely to be the problem... a brand new OM-d that 10's of thousands of users world wide not reporting issues like this... or a faulty card?

K

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    On color -- look up on this site huelight profiles, and use them (if you are using LR, at any rate).

On the flaky behavior, the OMD has had a history of flakiness, but as I am not a current user, perhaps others could chime in, or do a quick search on this site. I know it's been mentioned before.

4. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I have the PL25 and it does rattlesnake. Apparently it does so on some Panasonic bodies as well. Haven't read anything about card errors and I've not had any issues. First thing I'd try is another SD card. Not ruling out a problem with the camera but memory cards do fail as well.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Kevin, be nice!!!

Hamuga, as you know, Kevin is a our resident crank, and proud of it!

Here's one string of reported flakiness to check. I think it's mainly about freezing up, though: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/omd-hangs-freezes-ones-while-25878/

Kevin is right -- check the card, too.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    wt

I may get cranky... but on technical stuff I usually do try and drill down to the heart of the problem... and the link you posted doesn't in anyway relate to Hamuga's problem.

cheers

K

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, you are technically helpful. Thanks!

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  9. Hamuga

Hamuga New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2013
    Thanks everyone for thew quick replies.
    I agree with Kevin, he does bring up some good points.
    This is a new card(PNY) and if I had another SD card I would test it, but I had to buy this card when I got the camera because I have a bunch of CF cards but no SD cards.
    I will try and track down another card to test out. The contacts look fine on this one.

I also need to look into the LR color/hue on this site.

I tried duplicating the problem again, and it seems to be fine.
    I formatted the card recently but I don't recall if it was before or after the first issue.

It sure is a fun camera regardless.

Thanks for everyones advice.
    I will track down another SD card tomorrow.

10. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Agree. PNY is a really cheap card. I've had good success with Transcend, though that's also pretty cheap. Sandisk maybe should be your target.

12. Hamuga

Hamuga New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2013
    Justa quick update, I have not had the same problem repeat it self in the last few days.
    No matter what I do I can't make it act strange. So maybe it was a one-two time occurrence.
    I totally forgot to ask to borrow different card when I stopped by my fathers house yesterday.
    But if it is not happening any more than that's fine with me.
    Thanks.

13. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I agree with the others that it's probably a card error. I'll say though that PNY has always worked for me (along with their memory chips). I'd consider them a "reputable" brand. Any card can fail, though. For me, Patriot is in my penalty box due to a couple of different failures.

Just try another card. I'll second the recommendation for Transcend. Seems to be a good value (reliable and cost effective).

14. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    I have two Transcend 16GB, and had 3 when I had my T2i. All three got some use and I have never had an issue with them.

OP definitely needs to try another card. Hell, Transcend cards are less than $1/gb last time I checked on Amazon.

ETA: I'd be inclined to think it may have been some crud on the contacts. If pulling out and reinserting the card a few times has fixed it...

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's very true as cheaper 'no name' brands will not have the garenteed reliabilty from the likes of Sandisk & then there are those fake copies too. Don't be tempted to get something that isn't fully packaged with a serial number (as the copies can look pretty convincing). Sandisk Extreme is the minimum I would use & the Pro is even faster & then of course, format in the camera before using it too.

16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That might have been the only issue in this case. Cleaning the SD card contacts with a soft pencil rubber (eraser) is effective, so long as no residue is left behind. The gold plating might look clean but can get an oxide coating on it that can create contact issues.