1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Nikon Mirrorless

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by sylvesterii, Jul 22, 2011.

1. sylvesterii

sylvesterii Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    Looks like Nikon's mirrorless entry is getting closer to reality. A couple posts over on Nikon Rumors with actual pictures of the upcoming mount seem to confirm that it will have a sensor with about a 2.6x crop. Somewhere between m4/3 and the Pentax Q.

This figures, of course, because I just decided to jump all in to micro four thirds about a month ago! Then again, it will be interesting to see what kind of noise issues they will have given the smaller sensor. If they keep the megapixels reasonable (unlikely), perhaps it will be pretty good?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nikon has generally been considered the "king" of noise control, but I don't think anybody actually delivers a cleaner image than Olympus for the size of the Four-Thirds sensor. It will, as you say, be interesting to see how well Nikon performs with a smaller sensor.

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    What's Nikon's record in the P&S category?

How have they done holding market share against Canon the past decade?

Why on earth would I change away from MU-43 mirrorless?

I guess I'm just not a grass is always greener kind of guy.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That's probably the most worrisome bit. Coolpix cameras pretty much suck, Nikon cannot make decent compacts. So I'm pretty dubious about their ability to deliver on this one. Fuji, on the other hand...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The only way I'd get something larger than the 1/1.7" sensor format, other than mFT, is if it was fixed lens and still reasonably compact. I just can't see having a smaller interchangeable format.

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Not with these temperatures...

7. sylvesterii

sylvesterii Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    Yes, Nikon's line of "coolpix" cameras have been "me-too" offereings since probably 2002. They are always playing feature catch-up, or have random things that nobody cares about (one of their cameras has a projector built in to it, so you can have a slideshow on the wall apperently.)

I am not holding my breath that it will be of much interest to most people. Time will tell though because they are VERY good at High ISO, low noise and dynamic range.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    They may be able to address the noise issue, but the laws of physics are going to bite DOF control in the ass every time. I'll be interested to see how they address that, if they come out with a line of super fast lenses, it might get interesting

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Most Nikon owners (including myself) will readily admit that Nikon is terrible in the P&S department...

10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    It all depends on quality, features, price and ecosystem (lenses, flash, etc.).

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Which Fuji P&S cameras better than Nikons?

12. chlau

chlau Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Perhaps they never intended to address the issues of a smaller sensor, but chose this sensor size so they are able to build a lens with the best balance of "small, fast and sharp" with minimal in camera software correction. With Sony sales effectively pushing their NEX sensors as "bigger is better" there is no other reason for Nikon to go small. Unless they know they can build and market on another tangible characteristic. Maybe "what you see is what you get"?

13. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Nikon has not had any skin in the game with P & S cameras since the Coolpix 5400 in 2003. Since then, the compact camera department has been making POS cameras and not P & S (and yeah I am a Nikon fan). :frown:

Having said that I doubt Nikon with put the kind of effort behind mirrorless that they need to until declining sales in the DSLR department force them to.

That's kinda what happen to Olympus and Panasonic never really ever committed to the DSLR game. For these two makers, the mirrorless market was a perfect field for them to lead and market to people who did not want DSLR/lens weight and size and would compromise some sensor size to get more portable.

14. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    The X100.

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    As a long time Nikon guy, all of these mirrorless details are very disappointing. I'd expected better from them. "Professional" doesn't mean you need a BIG camera, but the skill to use it. Starting out with such a small sensor when other players have considerably larger sensors in suitably small packages kills its viability before it starts. Even a Sony-like camera with an F-mount would be a better response than a Pentax-like one. There are many "pro" assignments that wouldn't require a full-frame sensor, that quality is lost in newsprint for example, but seldom would a pro rely on a P&S as a first choice. Unless there is some major small-sensor technology under wraps that somehow makes images on par with m4/3 or APS-C this is just another crappy CoolPix.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rcferraris

rcferraris Mu-43 Regular

shoot. i always wanted an interchangeable sensor on an interchangeable lens camera, even asked nikon to make a digital back for the nikon F2. =0( i guess i will just have to wait and see. if nikon makes a camera with great ergonomics, excellent lenses and sensor with superb high iso capabilities, I think i'd have to go back to nikon. unless Olympus improves their mFT.

already started to love olympus. I hope this pushes Olympus and Panasonic to make better MFT cameres. the interchangeable sensor is would be a deal breaker, unless if it costs the same as buying a new camera.

It is also rumoured to have a mirror. optical viewfinder i hope?.

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Perhaps it's just me... but I think all the references to P&S when talking about a mirrorless Nikon (or any other brand) system may be misplaced. Yes, it's true that Nikon has a less-than-stellar reputation with its Coolpix P&S cameras. But if the company's mirrorless system is being developed by its DSLR team, then I believe that's the approximate standard we can expect.

I might also point out that Olympus's P&S cameras are generally quite forgettable... but that their DSLRs and mirrorless cameras (developed by the DSLR team) are quite wonderful. A work in progress perhaps - just like micro four-thirds in general - but lovely tools for those who can appreciate them.

We can argue about whether a 2.5x crop is adviseable, but that's almost beside the point. We're talking about how the camera might work.. Besides, we don't want to engage in the same kind of sensor-size snobbery that many APS-C types express when talking about micro four-thirds. I'm just as curious as everyone else about mirrorless systems from Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Fuji. But I'll withhold judgement until we can see if they actually exist and how they work.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Until that Olympus mirrorless system camera technology started making its way into the Olympus P&S's, birthing the Olympus XZ-1. Now Olympus P&S's are becoming quite spectacular as well.

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I understand your point... but I just don't consider the X100 a P&S. To me, it's a fixed-lens, mirrorless, rangefinder-styled, DSLR-class camera. That may be semantics or splitting hairs to many but I consider the X100 to be in an entirely different class than cameras that I think of when the term P&S comes to mid.

20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I fully agree... but have to wonder how far down that technology will go. I suspect the XZ-1 is actually made by Olympus, just like its DSLRs and Pens. I suspect even more strongly that the company's run-of-the-mill P&S cameras are contracted out to third-party OEM manufacturers - maybe Sanyo or Flextronics. I suspect Nikon and Pentax do the same with their low-end P&S lines - which may explain why they've been so mediocre.