New Nikon DX mirrorless.

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Exposed, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    This new camera looks very nice. DX sensor, 28mm f2.8. Small, light. Now to wait for the reviews. Also, I think it is a mirrorless, not sure.

Nikon COOLPIX A

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    yeah but apparently its 1000 dollars.... and 450 dollar for the OVF!!!

3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Why would anyone get this when you can get a Fuji X100s?
  4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    It is an advanced compact with a fixed lens.
    I do not understand why people would pay such a price, for a limited use camera.
  5. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    That is suggested retail. It should come in somewhere at $800 to $900. It is a DX sensor!!!! Lot of money for a fixed lens camera, but I can do without the finder to get a DX, small camera.
  6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Kind of an odd niche camera.

In that price/class/function range, I would think the x100/s is a better choice with its built in VF.

Or alternatively, why not go with the Sigma DP1/2 Merrill for pure IQ?

If I'm going to go with a fixed focal length "compact" it might as well give me something awesome that I couldn't get otherwise..
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That is my thought as well. The Nikon's point of differentiation is size, or lack thereof. It wouldn't be my choice over the X100s, not even close. But some folks will value the "pocketability factor" and the FL.
  8. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I think by it's basic specs it's a miss but hopefully it's a precursor to an interchangeable lens system.
  9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    The Nikon A is about the same size and as Nex5-N with the 30mm f2.8 Sigma. The lens is a little smaller, but that's about it. I'm willing to bet that optically (resolution/DR) will not be any better w/the Nikon.
  10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Too little, too late, too wide, and at f/2.8 too slow.

I'm not thinking this is going to be a mega camera -- but my prognostication abilities are not stellar, lol.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I suppose for fixed focal length, an optical viewfinder will be fine.

It has to compete with the Leica X2, Fuji X100s, Sigma Merrills, Canon G1X, and I'd argue the Sony RX100. Nothing compelling for this Nikon against them.

They'll get a few die-hard Nikonistas looking for a pocketable APS-C, but they won't be eating anyone else's lunch with this.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    If it was 28mm f/2 and priced at $1000 it would be an instant hit. Look at the rx1. There is a market. I bought the rx100 bc i had the x100 and had an epm1 with a pancake and they really aren't marketable like the rx100 is.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Handling could make the difference on it I suppose. If it's got great phase detect AF that works on the sensor (not like the Canon mirrorless which is not very good) and is really fast then that could make it more of a hit.

I know there is a market for sure -- I just wonder if this has what it takes to get a nice sized piece of it.
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll buy one when the Coolpix B gets released and the Coolpix A gets a price slash at $299. :wink:
    • Like Like x 3
  16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think it is more that a little smaller than the 5N + Sig 30. Here is a comparo of Nikon & 5N + Sony 16/2.8, which is a bit more than half the length of the Sigma 30/2.8. I'm looking at a 5N w/16 mounted as I type this. It is small, but not small enough to be really easy to take anywhere. The Nikon is in a different ballpark.

Compact Camera Meter
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    Pretty much what Thom Hogan said on yesterday. And I agree.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    If Thom said it, then I feel better about my prediction, lol.
  20. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    I'm a little surprised at the mostly negative responses. I'm not in the market for this, but I could see how it would appeal to a certain target user. I may have misread the specs but it looks to be smaller than the Sigma DP1 (except slightly taller, slightly more weight) even though it has a max aperture of 2.8 versus 4 for the Sigma. It's different than the Fuji X100 (Fuji is bigger, has optical VF, different FL) so that the two aren't necessarily in direct competition. Nikon is probably counting on brand power and compatibility with Nikon flash system to help out with sales. All in all, for a user that wants APS-C sensor and super portability, this seems to be a camera worth checking out. And I would expect that price tag to come down as well.