New mu-43 user (from Fuji X)

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by denis_sf, Jun 4, 2013.

1. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Hi all,

Great site!

I'm an enthusiast, San Francisco Bay Area native living in Oakland. My interests lie in street/documentary photography with a lesser interest in scenic/landscape/architecture. I've shot a few weddings, interior stuff for a design client of mine and some event photography as well.

Coming from film (when I was a pup I shot with a K1000) the Fuji cameras appealed to me - in particular the X-Pro 1 with its ability to use legacy glass. I still own and really enjoy my X100's images but felt that the X-Pro 1 wasn't responsive enough for me when shooting street at 50mm equivalent. I'm excited about using some of the FD and other assorted lenses on the OMD, as well, just to see how they render.

To satisfy my desire for faster autofocus and responsiveness I've picked up an OMD with the 25/1.4 and 14/2.5. Prior and subsequent to the purchase I have been scouring this and other sites for tips, setup help and basics. I look forward to referring to this site for the already-answered questions and helpful information posted here and to contributing eventually when I've figured out which end is up with the OMD.

I'm sure it will make much more sense when the camera actually shows up tomorrow. Until I can start forming my own opinions, it's all abstract conversation (albeit informative and useful).

See you around! :biggrin:

Denis

2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    You will surely love the OM-D for street shots. The AF is lightning fast. You'll be unlikely to ever miss the defining moment. :cool:

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Welcome aboard Denis.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Welcome Aboard!
    I view the 1st generation of Fuji cameras much like the 1st generation of Micro Four Thirds - lots of growing room & maturation needed.

That being said, I'm quite positive you'll thoroughly enjoy the OM-D :cool:

5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Aha! And they said :43: people are all going over to the Fuji side. :biggrin:

Welcome!

6. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I thought about an X-E1 until i tried it out. The autofocus was too slow compared to my OMD. I think the E-P5 will satisfy my need for a small camera with fast AF.

7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Haha.. Well, I did. I'm in it for the long haul. Someone once told me you should buy into a system for the lenses. :tongue: am sure the AF kinks will get fixed by the next generation.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Kinda' what happened with MFT & auto focus (E-P3/E-PL3/E-PM1):smile:

9. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Welcome!!! I'm in the Bay Area as well.. Like you I gave up on the X-Pro1 fairly early and will keep the x100 until it's dying day

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Welcome aboard.

11. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
  12. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Welcome fellow Bay Arean!!

13. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Certainly didn't mean to imply any negativity in my choice to go from the X-Pro 1 to OMD.

I have nothing bad to say about the X-Pro 1. It makes gorgeous images. The delay between shutter press and shutter firing - and all the steps in between - just didn't work for the kind of shooting I wanted to do with it. Hopefully I didn't come off as trashing that system.

In retrospect, the things that caused me to look elsewhere were the EVF and the autofocus speed. Image quality was amazing, but I confess to having perhaps bought the wrong tool for the job. No fault of the camera.

I bought at full retail and kept it for a year (my receipt from B&H read 6/12/12 as the purchase date) and enjoyed the time I spent with it. Some of my favorite photos have been taken with the X-Pro 1. I just felt it was time to move on once I felt I knew what I wanted from it and that it was unable to meet that need.

As the folks from the UK say, 'horses for courses.' :)

14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome, Denis!

Great bit of kit that K1000; I've a friend who still owns (and uses) one.

I abandoned the Pentax when I moved to a Minolta X700, but I have fond memories of that little K.

Glad to have you aboard!

Regards,

Jim

15. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Yeah the X series has great lenses indeed and I really enjoyed the handling of the X-E1.
    E-M5 just "works" for me tho :)

16. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Mag-dilang anghel ka sana, bro. (Translation for our English speaking brethren: Here's hoping what you say comes true) :biggrin:

17. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
  18. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome Denis,

I too cut my teeth on a K1000 and then grew up with Nikon pro cameras and glass (as well as Leica's, Hasselblads, Rollei's and a Linhoff or two). Like the other members have already asserted, you'll LOVE the OM-D and the M 4/3 system in general. Take a little time to become acquainted with the "system" as there will undoubtedly be things that will seem uncomfortable at first. As with any new discipline, there's a small learning curve. Once you've got the hang of it, you'll wonder what took you so long to get on board! Keep us posted!

Cheers!

Wes

19. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Welcome Denis, hope you will enjoy your OMD. its quite an awesome camera!.

20. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis

Thanks guys. I still own my K1000 - well, technically I gave it to my daughter, but it still resides in my apartment, heh. Lots of good memories with that camera.

Wes, as you say there's a bit of a learning curve but it's completely manageable. I spent hours and hours on youtube and on the internet searching for tidbits about what to expect, how to set up the camera (and the items to which I wanted easy access) and so forth.

At this point I'm pretty comfortable with the camera. The only things that still throw me for a bit of a loop are the dial directions for adjusting shutter/aperture (I shoot in Manual pretty much exclusively) when in a hurry and being able to switch back and forth between the LED and EVF quickly. I *know* how to do it, but my fingers fumble around and inevitably turn the shutter dial the wrong way or I forget that I left the touchscreen shutter on and take a photo with my nose upon raising the camera to my eye. :)

All good problems to have. It makes sense to me, this camera. It does what I expect it to do (with the preceding paragraph excepted) and gets the hell out of my way. That's a testament to a good design and implementation. Heck, I even have managed to make sense of the menu system. Maybe I'm just deranged. :biggrin::eek: