1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Microsoft Codec Released

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by runner girl, Dec 14, 2012.

1. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Great, this now covers almost every camera that I was missing in my existing install of the codec. The only one that is not there is the Samsung NX200.

3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks! Not having to convert first, allows me to dump the "not so good" before conversion and PP. I might even start using raw, more.:smile:

4. A feature of the codec that people might find interesting is that the image viewer doesn't read the lens correction data, so if you are curious to see what an uncorrected Micro 4/3 image looks like without having to use an alternative raw convertor then here's your chance.

5. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I have been shooting RAW + JPEG mostly so I could see the thumbnail in Widows Explorer. Now ill e able to just shoot RAW, generally - unless for speed or other reasons JPEG makes sense.

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That IS interesting! :bravo-009:

7. A quick example from the 12-50mm @12mm on an E-M5

OOC jpeg:

12-50Corrected_zpsf44c6ed8.

Raw preview using the codec (you can see how much gets chopped off the edges to remove the barrel distortion):

12-50Uncorrected_zpsc51239cf.

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

WOW! Maybe I was being purposefully ignorant ... fixing distortion by cropping is not exactly 'elegant' and certainly not what I was expecting. I know that is not what they are doing (ie fixing by crop) but dang that seems like a lot of crop.

Good thing I tend to shoot wide and crop to suit already!

9. There's no real other way to correct for barrel distortion other than to stretch the corners and crop. The following is a post I'd made earlier this year at POTN regarding manually correcting for barrel distortion on a Canon G1X. You can see here that Canon was similarly aggressive in cropping the edges with their own lens correction data. Through a slightly convoluted process you correct the G1X lens distortion manually as shown below and have a focal length closer to 26mm at it's widest.

10. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Doh, the codec doesn't install under Windows 8 and the codec available via Windoze update doesn't support RW2. It does support ORF though.

Oh well, I wont miss what I never had.

:rolleyes: