1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New 'Micro 4/3 Club' Community on Google+

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Google just launched a new Communities section on Google+, and I thought this would be a good opportunity to get some Micro 4/3 photographers together over there and also use that community to bring attention to Mu-43.com. I see that there is already one other MFT community there, and in all likelihood there will be several before long :smile:.

Please join our brand new Micro 4/3 Club community at Google+!

• Like Like x 4
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Sounds good, I'm attempting to upload a photo right now. :thumbup:

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Amin,
    You listed it as 4/2 photographers...might be confusing!?!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Did I? Where, I can't find it??

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    here:

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ah thanks - will go correct that

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes I acknowledged this in the first post of this thread.

Eventually it will likely end up like Flickr, where there are multiple MFT communities. There are also other MFT forums besides Mu-43.com on the web, but I sure am glad I started Mu-43.com anyway!

• Like Like x 1
  9. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    joined!

10. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    No way! Factions make things fun! I've noticed there are a lot of cross-over members (members of both groups) and that Amin's is growing quite fast and may overtake the older one in a matter of days at it's current rate even adjusting for a certain leveling off of accelerated initial rates due to novelty.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I thought I saw a post in a discussion about the new Communities stating that threaded conversations were not available as they were in Circles. Does anybody know if this is correct?

--Ken

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    what do you mean by this? posts to communities are just regular posts and replied to as any other post. It's just collected and presented differently (and annoyingly, your posts show up in your main stream... frustrating)

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yep, that part is very annoying.

14. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm still not sure how it works exactly. I don't think anyone that has me circled sees my posts unless they explicitly go to my profile/posts page. But still, that will get significantly cluttered if I became active in posts to Communities.

The even bigger annoyance is you can't keep Communities out of your stream as well. Random posts show up and there's no noise control like Circles has. I find it rather strange Google omitted this for launch of Communities.

15. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    OK, I've joined. I used the link you posted in your first post (in this thread). Now what the heck do I do with it!!??

16. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have not yet joined any circles or communities because I have been a bit weary of having a "stream" of information flow into my inbox. But, I am still curious as to how Communities posts are presented differently from Circles.

--Ken

17. tweggs

tweggs Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Seattle, WA. USA
    Thanks for the tip. I've joined the group. It should be fun

18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Ken, if you add people or pages to a circle, you can control how much you see then in your stream. All, some, less, or none. You can also set it to all+notifications so you get a notification for every post.

Communities are like forums almost. You join and can post to sections of that community. The issue right now is stuff that is posted there shows up in your steam without any controls now. In addition to that, all your posts to any community is public so it shows up in your profile (it doesn't show up to people who have you in their circles, just if someone looks at your g+ profile).

I don't mind it showing, just wish they would separate it on its own tab or something. Lots of folks giving feedback and anyone that uses g+ should keep giving feedback

• Like Like x 1
  19. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Linh,

Thank you for the detailed information. As much as I keep up on technology, I am just not much of a social media guy, blogs excepted, so I have been moving very slowly on learning about the mechanics of g+. I keep hoping to delve into it, but I am so backlogged on photo projects, that it is hard to find the time.

--Ken