New Metabones autofocus speed booster for EF - MFT

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Holoholo55, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    It ought to be nice for $700!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For $700, I don't see why you wouldn't just buy a Canon camera to mount your Canon lenses on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Because it would be a GH4 or Blackmagic user shooting in 4K, and the closest Canon body for that is more like $7000- not $700-

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Or a wildlife photographer shooting a Canon 400mm f2.8 so he would have an effective 568mm f2.0. Talk about a beautiful early morning or late evening lens.

I hope this one actually works and that they put out one without the speed booster

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Yeah, I would settle for one that just enabled aperture control and autofocus for considerably less.

7. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Ok the new version also works on OMD that explains why they have just discontinued the EF Speed Booster S on the Metabones website while I was actually browsing it, one minute it was available, then the next it was discontinued, better get your hands on the cheaper version while stocks last at resellers.

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Cheaper one has been updated with the same firmware also, the newer has fancy glass however I've never found the original to have any problems at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Apparently, the firmware update applies to all their EF-MFT adaptors, but while it says that it adds AF capability for Panasonic, it doesn't say Olympus. Does anyone know if Olympus cameras get AF too?

http://www.43rumors.com/metabones-u...ware-and-adds-autofocus-on-panasonic-cameras/

Aargh, Olympus AF NOT supported. Ditto with the other Metabones adaptors. Not even on the Ultra.
    http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2
    http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-M43-BT4

10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    They do not, I have one in my hands right now and autofocus does not work in any mode (S-AF, C-AF) on the E-M1 using any lenses I currently have (Sigma Art or Canon EF).

11. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Does anyone know why this is the case? I would have thought that the systems are the same as they share lenses?

12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    There is a non Speed-Booster version, I have it, and with the firmware update, AF works fine.

The Kipon EF-m43 adapter also works.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Which camera are you using?

14. chrisada

chrisada Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2014
    Thailand
    If you have a chance, it would be great to find out if using external 5V battery has any impact on AF speed. (Is it faster?)

15. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I will add that I'm more inclined to buy a Metabones product than Kipon as I know their customer service has been first rate every time I've dealt with them.

It may be a small thing however if you're dealing with customer service you're probably having a bad enough day as it is and they've been better than most. There isn't much between products these days and it's the small things which tip the balance.

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    GH3 and GX7.

17. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The AF on USM type lens are plenty fast as is, compared to Canon bodies.

18. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Using the latest firmware from Metabones on an E-M1 (available today) and the AF on an E-M1 is amazing.

The limiting factor seems to be universally the speed of the lens, with the 50mm f1.4 in good light it snaps perfectly into focus (allowing for travel time) and in low light (1/10th of a second at F/1 and ISO 1600) it can sometimes miss focus or hunt however at longer distances it's generally accurate. Up close in low light (below 2 feet, same conditions as above) it focuses much more slowly than at range.

Generally overall I'm finding at distance it's very fast and accurate regardless of light, up close in low light it hunts however it's accurate.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  19. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Actually let me put it another way, with the newer firmware I wouldn't hesitate to use Canon lenses on an E-M1 for paying work.

(edit: not that I didn't in the past... however now it's now fast autofocus rather than manual focus allowing for use in more varied conditions)

20. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    On using it for a longer period I've discovered one trait of the E-M1 which I thought worth sharing, if you're shooting with an f1.0 lens the camera cannot autofocus if the light is brighter than EV17, I believe the PD pixels may be getting saturated and clipping with the excess light. An ND filter fixes this issue and makes the autofocus much more reliable.

I suspect the PD was designed with a 2.0 maximum aperture in mind, given how rarely light this bright occurs in nature it wouldn't normally be an issue... unless you live in Australia, in which case you're SOL. Discovered in direct sunlight on a bright spring day (not even summer yet, it's only going to get worse).

FWIW, the conditions were such that the exposure was in the ballpark of ISO 200, 1/8000th, f4 to 5.6. The conditions called for an ND filter however how do you know what the limits are if you never test for them? hence testing both with and without.