New menu Interface

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, Jul 31, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Lets hope that indeed Olympus is finally addressing the problem of firmware upgrades erasing all the customized settings.

I just got this from an anynmous source:

I have been talking to Olympus EU support about the lack of a backup feature for saving menu customisations and was asking were Olympus listening at all to customers who were frustrated at their extensive customisations being nuked by firmware updates.
    During the conversation the Oly staffer let it out that he could see the “user experience drastically improving in the not to distant future” when discussing the user interface.
    I’m reading this to be a new easier menu structure coming soon with possibly a means to backup customisations.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I just saw that. I hope it'll turn out to be true, altho I think many of us have gotten used to the existing interface, as complex as it might be. :)
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hmmmm - I'm OK with the existing interface (but blowing away settings on firmware updates without a backup/restore feature is sort of unforgivable). I only hope that a new menu system doesn't mean a dumbing down to something like the old Nex UI!
  4. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    • Choice of basic, standard, advanced/extended (where the latter provides the existing interface?)
    • Applied across previous generations
    Hopefully anything executed on the latest OM-Ds reach the earlier models, as well at the E-Ps and E-PLs.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    No to a dumbed-down menu setup. Yes to the ability to backup and restore settings.
  6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    It may be for new cameras only. But I hope we get a shiny new interface as an upgrade to current cameras. There is a lot they need to put right.
    • Agree Agree x 1