1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Jeremy7777, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Jeremy7777

Jeremy7777 New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    Jeremy
    Hello;

I am a new member to the Mu-43 group.

My reason for joining this group is because I need some advice and help from
    more experienced digital camera users. My knowledge is some what limited and
    I just recently bought a Panasonic Lumix G1 camera and there are some things I can't
    figure out as to how do I correct the problem.

Yes I realize that the G1 is perhaps a "ancient dinosaur" when it comes to digitals,
    but I just wanted a decent digital camera to play with without having to sink a lot of
    money into the hobby.

I am hoping that people from this group will be able to guide me and give me some
    good advice.

Jeremy

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome, Jeremy. You're in the right place, and the G1 is a great camera. Ask away!

3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Yep. It is not to be thought unworthy. I had one, and now my daughter has it. My daughter-in-law was the first, in our family to get one, not long after they came out (and still has it). Now several family members have had and used them. I have lately looked at them again. Great little camera with very well laid out controls.

4. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Welcome Jeremy. Never apologise for 'old' kit. I mess around with a GF1 and shortly an Olympus E-PM1. They're hardly the newest models on the block but they're hardly outdated either.

One thing I can advise and that's to grab a PK or M42 - M/43 adapter and pick up some (or even just one) old Pentax lenses. They can be had for a song on ebay and can be a whole lot of fun on a digital 'body'. Especially if you don't want to sink too much cash into a hobby you may or may not keep up.

As ever, my advice comes with a health warning - manual focus lenses may not be for everyone! :2thumbs:

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Hey there! What lens(es) are you shooting with?

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Jeremy!

Regards,

Jim

7. Jeremy7777

Jeremy7777 New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    Jeremy
    The Panasonic Lumix G1 has the standard Vario 14-42 lens and that is the only lens I have at the moment for the Panasonic.
    However,... I do have multiple old Canon F1 lens units from my old Canon system that I didn't want to just throw away. I've bought a conversion adaptor to adapt the Canon lenses to the Panasonic and am waiting on delivery from Amazon. I have 7 different Canon lenses from a 50mm up to a 300mm telephoto. Yes I realize that I will have to use the Canon lenses on "manual" mode ....but thats OK with me. I also have several Yashica / Contax lenses availabe from my other "old system". It really pisses me off that the camera manufacturers keep changing the lens mounts so that you can't normally switch from a old camera to a new camera of the same make. Of course...thats how they make their money.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The old 14-42mm is actually fairly sharp, but if you want a good deal in some sharper lenses the Sigma 19mm and 30mm f2.8s are highly regarded.

In regards to older legacy mounts, camera manufacturers actually rarely changed their lens mounts. They knew how angry that would make their customers - and since a new lens mount would make switching to a whole different system more palatable, it wasn't something they'd want to do willy-nilly.

Camera manufacturers in past decades had a lot of electronic breakthroughs, with metering, autofocus and the like, which would necessitate changing lens mounts where new features couldn't be added without adding new electronic contacts. Doesn't always necessitate changing the whole mount, but if you look at (say) Pentax's old m42 screw mount, that wasn't compatible with newer technology.

9. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Welcome welcome! Glad to have you aboard, and I hope we can help figure out the questions you mentioned you have :)

10. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Jeremy,
    Welcome. The G1 is a fine camera! I still have mine and use it once in a while. I am considering converting it to infra red. There should be no lack of answers to any questions you have. Enjoy your G1.

Mike

11. Shadetree

Shadetree Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Butch
    Welcome aboard Jeremy. I started out with a G1 for the same reason and still have it but don't use it very much since getting my G5 but it takes great pictures if I do my part right. You'll enjoy it for sure.