Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ampl465a, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ampl465a

ampl465a Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Hi All,
    Just joined the site while waiting on my OMD to arrive. Have ordered a silver body with 12-50 zoom, 45mm f1.4 and the grip. I was going to order the Pana 25f1.4 when I get the camera but am now going to wait till Photokina to see if the Oly 25 and 12-60 zoom materialize. If they are not as good as the Oly. 12mm, 45mm and 75mm I will go with the Pana 25 but having now read so many good reviews about the 12-35 zoom, am thinking that maybe it would do most of what I want the 25mm prime for, albeit at twice the price. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Just for some background, I am an old OM2 film shooter and still love that camera. If there was a way to make it digital, I would do it and never want for another. Been shooting Cannon DSLRs for the past few years but to me they are just an appliance, like my fridge, they do what I need them to do, but I have no emotional attachment to them. Really looking forward to shooting with an Olympus again. Cheers.

2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Welcome!

Common experiences: (still) shooting film OMs and used to shoot Canon DSLRs.

We have the same sentiments. First of, you will find the OM-D retaining a lot of the "character" of the old OMs. In fact, every time I see it next to my OM-40, I can't help but seeing the OM-D modeled after that camera. I get it; you are one of us :tongue:. You will not be dissapointed.

(OT: Now that I think about it, Olympus, what about implementing a modern version of the OM-4 metering concept in a future OM-D? You know, the one where you pick up individual metering values in spot metering? The thing that the Canon 1Dx does somewhat badly? Please?)

On Canons, I felt the same as you, but, apart from that, the OM-D has better IQ, better ISO performance and much better JPEG rendition than any Canon APS-C camera. And the IBIS will blow your mind.

As for lenses, we are on the same boat again. I'm eagerly awaiting for both the 25mm and the 12-60. I have exercised serious self control to resist the temptation on the Pany 12-35. The rational argument is, I don't really need this focal range at that aperture. To be honest, I wait for the Oly 25mm to see if I can save some money on the Pany Leica; money to probably spend on the 12-60. We should have to wait and see if and when they finally materialize; but that said, both Panasonic lenses are considered the overall best we have today in their categories.

Make sure you share your OM-D experience when you finally get it!

3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Welcome! I just got my OM-D on Friday and I can't put it down. I have my father's OM10, which I've put a few rolls of film through, and I sold my Canon 40D and lenses to fund my OM-D purchase.

As for lenses, the 25/1.4 is stunning from what I've seen and I'm seriously considering selling my 20/1.7 and buying one. And I LOVE my 20/1.7. It has stayed on my EPL1 about 90% of the time since I bought that camera. No zoom is going to give you the same look as the 25 prime.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! Perhaps the biggest problem with the :43: system is the number of really good lenses available - makes it hard to choose! Sounds like you have a great start.

5. ampl465a

ampl465a Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks. Cant wait to shoot something.

6. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I have the PL25 and Oly 45. IMO, both are capable of producing really stunning IQ on the E-M5. I knew I wanted a fast normalish lens and there were no rumors of the Oly 25 when I bought the PL25. If an Oly 25 f1.8 materializes and if the lens is comparable to the 45 I think it will be a better value. The 2/3 stop isn't a big deal to me if the Oly is sharp wide open. The PL would offer a little thinner depth of field. I think the PL25 is a really terrific lens, however. I'm not sorry I bought it. I've kind of lusted after the 12-35 but I'm waiting to see if the 12-60 materializes before jumping on the 12-35. From all I've read the 75mm is a terrific lens if it's a focal length you'd use a lot. FWIW, I find the 40-150 a real value lens. Perhaps I just got a very good copy but it impresses me. Small, light, inexpensive, and surprisingly good IQ.