New member...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by JohnF, Apr 1, 2010.

1. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

Just joined thanks to the Ctein from The Online Photographer, always good to find enthusiasts.

Been a very long-timer Olympus user, back to 1973 with an OM-1 with a six-digit serial number (long since disappeared...somewhere), went to MF for many years (Fuji 6x4.5, 6x9) before going to Pentax 67, then digital in 2005 and I've never looked back. Started digital with a Nikon Coolpix 5000, then E510 with the two kit lenses, then a 35mm macro, then the 70-300, then the 50mm f2. Legacy glass as well: Leica 100mm f4 macro lens on a bellows for taking pictures of watches, then a 50mm f1.4 Zuiko, a 180mm f2.8 Zuiko for theater work (my youngest daughter is in theater), Nikon 85mm f2 for portraits, Leica 180 f3.4 APO Telyt-R for specialty work (ancient and battered), as well as a Nikon 200 f4.

Added an E30 and the 12-60 lens last summer, and that is, for me, about the most perfect combo ever.

I also have a Gigapan robotic tripod head for large-scale panoramas (largest one so far is 600 images with the E510, which, along with the APO lens is my Gigapan kit, ca. 3 GP!).

Interest in mu-43? With all the above kit, there's a lot to schlepp there (indeed it's around 36 lbs with camera backpack!) and there's gonna be the days when I don't want to carry anything quite so obtrusive. Hence I'll be looking at a micro-43 camera with wide-angle zooms and legacy lenses (Leica and Olympus, who needs anything else...).

Whew. Oh, and married with children (20 and 17), oldest daughter has a E420 and is starting to get into it, youngest loves her Olympus bridge camera. Wife uses a Canon SX100 IS for travel.

Senior Economist in charge of Product Development and Industrial Rating with a private research and wealth management company in Germany.

Oh, and almost forgot to mention this: I am one of the moderators over at WatchUSeek (hence the need to take macro pictures of watches), with over 65 000 watch enthusiasts, moderating the vintage and pocket watch forum, as well as the pilot & military watch forum.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi John, welcome and please make yourself at home :friends:

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Hello and welcome John, check out my exclusive limited edition superduper watch ;
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

JohnF, many thanks for your well rounded introduction and for becoming a member here at We're very glad to have you and look forward to your involvement and eventual purchase of a :43: camera.:biggrin:
  5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Hi John! Welcome!
  6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome John ! Nice to have you here !
  7. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran