New Member & User

StuAV007

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi everyone, thought i would introduce myself. My name is Stuart i live i central Scotland. Last Saturday i finally took the plunge a bought myself an E-PL1 with the standard lens. I was wanting to get back into photography but not wanting to have the bulk of a DSLR. It has taken me months and months to finally decide on the Oly but am delighted with the ease of use size and picture quality of the camera (not used in anger yet) but have taken a few general shot to get a feel for it. All i need now is a good SDHC card and a nice bag/case (suggestions welcome for both)....oh and need more lenses. Cheers for now. :smile:

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hello Stu and welcome. You have made a good choice. SDHC cards are freely available but go for a known brand like Sandisk, Lexar, Transcend or Kingston and you won't go far wrong. They also come in different 'speeds' or classes (how fast images can be written to the card). For video at least Class 6 or preferably Class 10 is preferred.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hi Stuart, welcome to the home of m4/3rds! :friends:

I hope you will post some pictures from bonnie Scotland!

Cheers

Brian

StuAV007

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for your advice, i will look into a class 10, what would be the best size to get.....16gb, 32gb or lower? have just come from a Pana FZ7 and could fit alot on a 1gb card.

StuAV007

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi Stuart, welcome to the home of m4/3rds! :friends:

I hope you will post some pictures from bonnie Scotland!

Cheers

Brian
I will gladly post some pictures as soon as i get a chance, currently looking at lenses (manual) on the Bay, would you have any suggestions? looking for something fast F1.4 ish. And a suitable adaptor.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
We have a whole forum with examples of legacy lenses... lots of fun, but don't spend too much money - the 20mm f1.7 and mZD 9-18 + mZD 14-150 currently make a brilliant 3 lens kit for the Pen.

Also, to make the most of legacy lens focusing with the E-PL1 an EVF is essential imho.

Cheers

Brian

blue

Mu-43 Veteran
memory cards

I mostly use the Sandisk sdhc 8GB 30MB/s speed. Play and amazon are fairly competive for these - about £33 each.

If you shoot jpeg high quality this should give you a thousand or so pictures, that will drop to about 400 if jpeg plus RAW.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for your advice, i will look into a class 10, what would be the best size to get.....16gb, 32gb or lower? have just come from a Pana FZ7 and could fit alot on a 1gb card.

Video fills a card quickly. RAW also and jpegs take the least room.

I have a 16GB and 2x8GB. It's sometimes better to have several cards - you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket if a card fails (a rare occurrence but it happens).

Briar

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Stuart, welcome to mu-43!! I also have an e-pl1 - it's a great wee camera. Thanks to Brian's PAD project, it has also fast become my most used camera ever! I'm a Fife lass originally but now live in West Lothian.

StuAV007

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi Briar, nice to meet you.....in fact nice too meet everyone. I am loving my new camera, not taken many shots yet...mostly been testing it out and deleting most images. Glad to see your in my neck of the woods also.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Stuart welcome and thanks for introducing yourself! I'll really be looking forward to seeing your photographs soon, too.

The E-PL1 is a wonderful camera. Are you using it without the electronic viewfinder/EVF?

As for SD cards, I have learned my lesson recently and will be ordering an extra one or two!

Thanks for becoming a member here, Stuart.:drinks:

StuAV007

Mu-43 Rookie
Stuart welcome and thanks for introducing yourself! I'll really be looking forward to seeing your photographs soon, too.

The E-PL1 is a wonderful camera. Are you using it without the electronic viewfinder/EVF?

As for SD cards, I have learned my lesson recently and will be ordering an extra one or two!

Thanks for becoming a member here, Stuart.:drinks:

Thanks BBW, i dont have the EVF yet i may get one when funds allow they seem to be very expensive here in the UK still, will keep hunting for a second hand one or wait even longer until the costs come down. Am loving the camera and looking forward to posting some pics once i get a chance to actually take some. :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom