1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New member seeks info

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chinorider, Mar 12, 2013.

1. chinorider

chinorider Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    Hi folks

I am currently a Canon shooter and love the system. However, things are very bulky and heavy for travel and walk around use and I have been considering the OM-D system. What would be a good walk around lens or 2 for travel photography.

Thanks

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    If you just want a light, compact all around single lens setup, go with the Panny 20mm.

2 Lens prime set up: Oly 12mm and the Pana Leica 25mm.

Single zoom setup: Panny 12-35mm f2.8.

3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    12-50mm is good for travel and the power zoom is good for video, also the weather proof is nice to pair with omd, if you want the quality prime lenses, 12mm 2.0 or 17mm 1.8 are good for ngiht and street, 9-18 4.0-5.6 is good for travel too.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    12-35 on an E-M5 is my ideal minimalist travel kit. I love primes, so would add at least one, 75/1.8 and/or 25/1.4 would suit my tastes.

What do you shoot on your canon system? Might help us guess your preferences.

5. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I also like the 20mm and the 12-35 lens. I just made the switch from Canon for the same reason. First time out with the u4/3rds stuff was a long weekend in Charleston SC. I fell in love with the Panasonic 20. I mostly used zooms on the Canon so this was a surprise for me. Great for night shots and I could carry the camera with the 20mm in my jacket pocket. I also took the Olympus 9-18 that I borrowed this from a friend. It was sharp and fairly small but I did have to clean up some distortion in Lightroom. While I liked it, I think the 12-35 is what I'm going to go with.