1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Member saying hello form the UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Gyles, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Howdo guys,

Ta-da here I am........from the UK.

After many months of reading various posts on various forums I made the decision to buy a GX1 - I was toying with the notion of buying a K5 but just think that as I'm still fairly inexperienced and want a lightweight travel kit, the GX1 is going to be better for me.

I shall be buying the 14-44mm X Vario Power Zoom kit......as it seams to be the best value in the UK. I'll be selling or trading the lans as soon as it arrives and looking to get excellent used copies of rhe 20mm and 14-55mm. Anyone on here fancy a doing a deal......I'll post in the correct place. I shall be ordering before 31 March, date when Panasonic's free Lightroom 3 offer ends.

I've dabbled with my old Zenith photosnipper kit (remember them) and later moved on the the classic Canon EOS 1000f, before going to digital p&s. Looking to return to photography after giving up motorcycling.

I'll shut up now. I've no doubt I'll have many questions to ask and can't wait to get feedback on my efforts.

Cheers.

2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

WELCOME

Getting late here across the pond so if you don't get much yank response I suggest you bump in about ten hours. :biggrin:

Good to have you Old Country contributors here. Insures I have something to read in the early am. :biggrin:

You must post pictures one day. :thumbup:

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new GX1!

4. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    Welcome and Enjoy your stay here in mu-43.com

5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Hi, Gyles and welcome.

A Zenit Fotosniper! I wouldn't want to use one of those these days :eek:

6. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    Hello and welcome from another UK member. I take it the lens you'll be geting is the 14-42mm X zoom? I've just got mine and like it. I did think that I wouldn't like the W/T zoom switch but I've found that it's OK to use. So, given the size of the lens I've put my kit lens (also 14-42mm into storage).

Enjoy the GX1 and this forum!

7. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Easily fits into any Russian issue trench coat pocket.

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Yeah that's the lens.....I'm half tempted to keep it.......but my heart just say 20mm 1.7.

I've gone for four thirds mostly for the lightweight and compactness. The size of the zoom is very appealing for my many travels, but with the twenty. I'll just have to work that bit harder to get THE shot.

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    14-42X - rubbish

Hi Gyles,

Welcome to the best Mu43 forum around (coupled with it's sister site - Serious Compacts).

I have recently upgraded my 2yr old GF1 for the GX1+14-42X lens, the camera is great and with my 20mm lens produces amazing results that are considerably better than my GF1!

I am totally dissatisfied with the 14-42X and am seriously considering getting rid of it (I still have my original 14-45 metal mount lens so can keep that), I do tend to keep the 20mm on all the time for my street/landscape work, great combo.

Here are some GX1+20mm images, great combo:

Waiting_for_a_lift_SFX.

Paint_job_SFX.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Wow stunning images Iansky. Perhaps one day I'll be half as good.

We do a lot of city breaks and walking. I think the twenty would be a better lens for my needs. If I could afford both and the 14-45 and a decent portrait and macro lens I'd keep it.....but it's not a priority.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II you mean, correct? Great lens for the system. It will require an adapter though, either the Panasonic DMW-MA1, Olympus MMF-1, or Olympus MMF-2. When it arrives in April the MMF-3 will also be weather sealed, but your Panny body isn't so that's moot. ;) It'll be about the same price though, so even if you don't need the weather sealing I'd buy it if it's available. The Zuiko 14-54mm lens -is- weather sealed as with all Zuiko high-grade and super high-grade lenses. This lens will not Autofocus as fast as native lenses, but it does well enough to use. It is a brilliantly compact design with sharp optics, though... and that's what matters to me. ;)

The Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake is also a highly regarded lens and will turn your camera into a really small package to tout around. Get that as soon as you can, as I don't hear great things about the Lumix X power-zoom pancake. The power-zoom's resale value is probably good though, as you say. ;)

11. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Erm, sorry......I meant to say 14-45mm panny lens. My fat fingers are no good for typing on a touch screen phone.

12. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    Great shots with the 20mm, Iansky, but what, in particular, do you find wrong with the 14-42X? It's IQ, ergonomics ... ? I'd be interested to find out, thanks.

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    14-42X.....IQ

I purchased the GX1+14-42X to replace my faithful GF1 and was hoping that the issue with the 14-42X and it's "Soft focus" may well have been rectified - alas it would appear not.

When I look at some of my older images shot with my GF1+ metal mount 14-45 Pany lens and then the images shot with the GX1+14-42X there is a huge difference in IQ - I know that appears vague and people will pounce on it and as such, I intend to take some photos this weekend using the GX1 + both lenses to do a side by side comparison but suspect my enthusiasm for the 14-42X will not increase!

Even on images shot 2 stops down from wide open at any given focal length (should be the sweet spot) and shutter speeds exceeding the equivalent focal length set (old photography rule to avoid OOF due to shake), I still do not see sharp images and the original 14-45mm produces super sharp images on the GF1 so will see what happens.

I have updated both camera and lens firmware to the latest but it has not made any difference so I am so far dissapointed and subject to this weekend, this lens may well be marked for selling!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    I'm trying to negotiate with my camera shop, If I buy the GX1 with 14-42mm PZ they swap it for the 20mm and resell it. They sell used equipment and new in their shop the PZ sells for £40 more...so they're quids in.

Plus I get a nice copy of lightroom 3 courtesy of Panasonic UK.

15. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK