New Member. Quick advice, please.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Please!
Choose the kit zoom over the 1.8 prime... Lol.
A phone with no controls, v’s a camera with aperture and shutter speed. 😂
Whatever has gotten into you guys???

The Electric Squirrel

Mu-43 Regular
Reading this made me think. My first thought was "just make her learn composition using her phone". And honestly, that could be enough to get started. But... A phone is a constant distraction these days, so a dedicated tool for a dedicated job is as relevant as is has ever been.

It also made me think of the days I first fell in love with photography as a teen. Back then, digital was in it's early infancy, so film it was. So I fell in love with photography in the darkroom, making black and white prints. At first I could lend my dad's camera. Then my dad bought me one. After that I wanted some lenses, and soon wanted a fully manual and mechanical camera instead of my EOS 500n. And some years after that I used all of my money to buy a medium format film camera... "Elvis" had left the building.

Back to the original question... As a parent, you've nothing better to do than to give her the first basic tools to fulfill her vision, be it what it is. Nudge her, and she'll either be asking for more, or get bored with it in no time. So, maybe a basic MFT body - just to be in the same ecosystem for lenses - and a basic kit zoom. And if need be, some more lenses. And of course let her lend some of your lenses, when you have something she wants.

Piece by piece is how we learn things. Give her the first nudge, and she'll tell what she needs next. And when that happens, make that her next birthday or christmas present.

JMH

New to Mu-43
Hi Everyone.

Thank you so much for the excellent input.

l should've prefaced my request by pointing out that she's already getting pretty dialed in with composition. She's had a point and shoot since grade school, and has used her phone to its full capabilities. And she enjoys experimenting with angles, lighting, processing... So I do think she's ready.

I'll post back with updates.

Thanks again!
Jon

JMH

New to Mu-43
I sent a DM to DeeJayK. It's PERFECT... If it's still available. And I could still afford some glass for her.

You know, I want to add a quick side note. When I posted the original post, I thought I had email notifications setup to receive responses, but nothing came through. I was feeling a little down about not getting any replies, and thinking to myself, "Wow, that's unusual for the MU-43 crowd to not respond".

Anyway, thanks for restoring my faith. I've really enjoyed reading the replies and I feel very optimistic that my girl's going to super excited very soon!!

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I sent a DM to DeeJayK. It's PERFECT... If it's still available. And I could still afford some glass for her.

You know, I want to add a quick side note. When I posted the original post, I thought I had email notifications setup to receive responses, but nothing came through. I was feeling a little down about not getting any replies, and thinking to myself, "Wow, that's unusual for the MU-43 crowd to not respond".

Anyway, thanks for restoring my faith. I've really enjoyed reading the replies and I feel very optimistic that my girl's going to super excited very soon!!
I recently bought a lens from @DeeJayK. You can’t go wrong there!

discus277

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
By now you have probably made your decision but if there is still some uncertainty about what lens or lens's please go with the 14-42 kit lens. I got one with my first 4/3 camera and now have several other lens's and a Pen- F. I still go to this lens often simply because it is the zoom lens I have and the image quality is really very good.

Several others mentioned the tests that Rob Trek has done with the lens. The little zoom is surprisingly good even when compared to the Oly 25mm f 1.8. Here is the you tube video where he evaluates the two....

The 25 mm prime shines when wide open but otherwise the zoom is very comparable

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
As one having started with the prime kit due to fatherly and grandfatherly advice, or the internet of yester-year, consisting of 28, 50 and 135 lenses back in the analoge days.

Just get the ZOOM. :drinks:

JMH

New to Mu-43
Hi Everyone!

Thought I'd circle back to button up this thread. I ended up buying the EM-5 that @DeeJayK was selling. Also grabbed a cleaning kit, larger SD card, and spare Wasabi power batteries.

I'll go with a kit zoom from the many you all listed above. Been toying with idea of getting her the 14-42 Oly Pancake. It would make such a tiny package with the little EM-5 body that she may be more likely to carry it often.

I'd just like to add a footnote. DeeJayK was a fantastic seller. He had mentioned that be might have an old bag kicking around that he'd throw in.

Well, fast forward a bit, and after receiving the package and diving into the camera, I hadn't really taken note of the bag (other than it was in the box). I left positive feedback and that was that... Until...I noticed the "old bag" he shipped with the camera turned out to be a brand new, ideally sized ThinkTank super nice bag. Generous and classy, @DeeJayK. Thank you.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi Everyone!

Thought I'd circle back to button up this thread. I ended up buying the EM-5 that @DeeJayK was selling. Also grabbed a cleaning kit, larger SD card, and spare Wasabi power batteries.

I'll go with a kit zoom from the many you all listed above. Been toying with idea of getting her the 14-42 Oly Pancake. It would make such a tiny package with the little EM-5 body that she may be more likely to carry it often.

I'd just like to add a footnote. DeeJayK was a fantastic seller. He had mentioned that be might have an old bag kicking around that he'd throw in.

Well, fast forward a bit, and after receiving the package and diving into the camera, I hadn't really taken note of the bag (other than it was in the box). I left positive feedback and that was that... Until...I noticed the "old bag" he shipped with the camera turned out to be a brand new, ideally sized ThinkTank super nice bag. Generous and classy, @DeeJayK. Thank you.

If the "14-42 Pancake" that you are referring to is the 14-42EZ, I would think about it.

It IS a small lens, and I LIKE it for that. I use it on my EM10 when I take it to dinner and places where I want a compact camera.
But, it is an electronic zoom, turn the ring one way to zoom in, turn it the other way to zoom out. That is fine, IF you get used to it. But, I have never gotten used to an electronic/power zoom in ANY still camera. I don't know why, but I just have not gotten used to it. I will take a manual zoom over an electronic zoom, any day.
So she may or may not take to the EZ.

The manual zoom 14-42 would be MY preference. But only because I don't like the electronic zoom.

Other options are the Panasonic 12-35 or P/Lumix 12-60 (NOT the P/Leica lens).
I have the P/Lumix 12-60. It give be a bit more range than the 14-42, and is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 14-150.​

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought my first camera when I was a teenager, Olympus C-5060WZ, 5 megapixels, 27-100mm EFL zoom lens. I guess E-M5 with 14-42mm EZ would be the equivalent today: prosumer level dedicated camera that is not intimidating to carry around and pull out of the bag, and good standard zoom range for photographer still finding their identity. And a dedicated camera is probably helpful for becoming more dedicated to photography. Physical controls are not only easier but also more fun and might be a reminder that there are more possibilities.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If the "14-42 Pancake" that you are referring to is the 14-42EZ, I would think about it.

It IS a small lens, and I LIKE it for that. I use it on my EM10 when I take it to dinner and places where I want a compact camera.
But, it is an electronic zoom, turn the ring one way to zoom in, turn it the other way to zoom out. That is fine, IF you get used to it. But, I have never gotten used to an electronic/power zoom in ANY still camera. I don't know why, but I just have not gotten used to it. I will take a manual zoom over an electronic zoom, any day.
So she may or may not take to the EZ.

The manual zoom 14-42 would be MY preference. But only because I don't like the electronic zoom.
Yep, electronic zooms have their quirks.

What I don't understand is Olympus and Panasonic made 4 electronic zooms (Olympus 14-42mm EZ, Olympus 12-50mm EZ, Panasonic 14-42mm PZ, and Panasonic 45-175mm PZ). These zooms were made fairly early in the product cycle. Both Panasonic and Olympus decreed that these were a failure, and didn't make any more.

However, these zooms were made before the two niches where electronic zooms have advantages:

1) If you are controlling the camera remotely through the phone app (possibly with the tethering apps, which I haven't used), you can actually zoom the lens from the phone app, when the camera is some distance away from the camera. With the traditional zooms, you can't change the zoom through the app. You might be able to the radio controlled gears used in the movie industry, but that is a separate app. Unfortunately, when these lenses were released, I don't think either Panasonic or Olympus cameras had the wifi support needed for the phone app.

2) If you are recording video, having the zoom speed being limited by the camera might be useful, rather than the jerky motions many video shooters use. I don't think video was a feature many people used back when the lenses came out. Sure there was some video, but I suspect not that much.

Unfortunately for the OP's daughter, the E-m5 mark I that he bought does not have the wifi chip, so remote radio support is not an options.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom