1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Member OM-D Em5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by alkhalifa, Aug 17, 2012.

1. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Hello All,
    I have just joined the forum and have been trying to search for help threads on using the OM-D. I got the kit lens with my purchase and seem to not have crisp shots of moving objects like children and pets. I am not a professional nor am I a an amateur. I understand the concept of photography with aperture and shutter speed. Even on the auto I don't seem to get pictures that freeze fast moving objects. I am not sure if its my photography or my lens. I have had much better results with my NEX 5 with the pancake lens.

Can anyone recommend a good "allrounder" that I can use to photograph kids and fast moving objects like horses and pets. It doesn't have to by an Olympus lens but something that does the photography I need and also shoot in lower light situations.

Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find it in the threads.

2. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Most likely the problem is your shutter speed. At what shutter speed were these unacceptable shots taken? The kit lenses have pretty slow apertures which means the shutter speed is going to be slower in order to let enough light in. Were they taken indoors?

3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Did you raise the iso for faster shutter speeds? When I shoot surfing on an overcast day I often bump it up to 1600 to get a fast enough shutter speed. With the Om-D iso 1600 is not a problem for web photos.

4. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Not sure what shutter speed probably 80, but on Auto they were very noisy. I am using the kit lens and even outdoor shot where noisy. Probably, need to get a good fast lens any advice?

5. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    shizlefonizle, my shots are on normal days when the sun has cooled down. My 1.8 pancake lens on the NEX never gave me these issues nor did the normal kit lens. You think the shutter speed @ 1600 wont be affect with the small aperture?

6. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Any of the available mft primes will give you great results -- 12, 14, 17, 20, 25, 45 just decide which focal length meets your needs best. I have the 20/1.7 and love it. The 25/1.4 is also fantastic.

7. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    If you are outside in sunlight, set your mode to Aperture, set ISO to 200 or 400, and set the aperture as open as possible (smallest f stop number) to get your shutter speed up. If you can't get a clear picture then your problem is focusing. What focusing mode are you using?

8. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    I use the spot focusing (if thats the correct term) where it puts a little square on the moving object. I have the same 12-50 lens you have.

9. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    What I really need is a lens that will give me some zoom like the 12-50 with a higher aperture like 2.8 or more, with good stabilization for fast objects. Any specific brand from the MFTs?

Sorry if I sound like a beginner but that probably what I am. My photography come from trial and error :confused:

Also any advice on books to read?

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That 1.8 NEX lens is significantly brighter than the Kit lens. And shutter speed will definitely be affected by the aperture.

If you are on AUTO, then the camera's priority will be to get the proper exposure. So if it is indoors low light, the camera will probably set the shutter very slow to gather enough light for a proper exposure. Now this is fine if you are shooting still objects, but kids moving will appear blurred due to the slow shutter speed. The camera is not smart enough to know the difference. Take your camera off Auto.

11. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Seems like you're looking for the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 zoom. It's gotten great reviews, but it doesn't come cheap.

12. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Thanks!
    I guess I have to go to basics and read the manual. Trial and error has probably caused all my issues.

13. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    How does it compare to the zukio 12-60?

14. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Which focusing mode? S-AF, C-AF, C-AF with tracking?

Continuous doesn't track very well especially with kids moving close and fast. Single AF works the best but isn't suited for moving targets. No mirrorless cameras are good at continuous AF.

• Like Like x 1
  15. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    bcaslis, I have just found the focusing let me try to go through the manual and get through the functions.

riverr02, Thanks for the advice on the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 zoom, and it surely ain't cheap. Reviews make it worth the buy.

I'm so impressed with the responses I got from the site and appreciate everyone's response.

Off to read the manual to prepare for my tests tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! You might consider the 14mm or the 20mm. Either will give you a very nice all-around lens.

17. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    Thank you...
    Should I stick to a specific brand? Are there brands I should stay away from?

18. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    The lenses referred to are the Panasonic 14/2.5 and the Panasonic 20/1.7. We tend to refer to lenses in the MFT format only by focal lengths and everyone knows what we are talking about. Sometimes we forget that that might not necessarily be the case :rolleyes:

19. alkhalifa

alkhalifa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012
    I have gathered some of the terminology from the forum. Please excuse me for being a newbie :biggrin: I see many lean towards Panasonic lenses, should I stick to Panasonic? Also one member said something about prime lenses, is there a way of knowing which are prime? Canon lenses are easy to know the L lenses.

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Prime just means the lens has a fixed focal length, in other words, it doesn't zoom.

So a Panasonic 20mm would be a prime, and a Panasonic 12-35mm would be a zoom.

In almost all cases, prime lenses have larger apertures than zooms.

By the way, Canon's L series cover both primes and zooms as well.