1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New member, new camera! *Update*- That didn't last long...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by LoneRider, Feb 25, 2014.

1. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    Long time Canon DSLR user that got bit by the idea of a smaller system. After enjoying a Canon EOS-M for about a year, I have become frustrated with its limitations in regards to no viewfinder and autofocus performance.

I really love the size and portability of the EOS-M, so thought I would take a look at a micro 4/3 system for when I don't want to carry all the full size DSLR gear around. With that said, I am the proud new owner of a Olympus OM-D E-M10. Not sure what I want for lenses yet, so for now I grabbed a used Oly 14-42mm (original) to get my feet wet.

On Flickr I am "Lone-Rider" and some of my shots can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94358006@N03/

Looking forward to a whole new thing to get obsessed with!

Update:

Well after playing with the M10 for a couple of days I decided instead of letting MFT replace some of my DLSR gear, it can replace most, if not ALL of my DSLR gear. For that to happen though, I figured it wouldn't be long before I wished I had gone for the M1, so this morning I returned the M10 and picked up an M1 with the 12-40mm f/2.8. I could have saved some sales tax by going to BH or Adorama, but I am a big fan of Kenmore camera and like to give them my business when I can.

I had to choke real hard, but in reality I have been trying to scrape up the cash for a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC and once I started looking at the numbers, the 12-40mm with the current rebate costs just a bit more than half of that lens and should be as good or better build quality. Heck, for the price of the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L one could almost buy three of the Oly 12-40mm Pro lenses!

Looks like I will spending time this week putting up Craigslists ads!

Going to be selling my EOS-M, 1D Mk III, my SX50, and several lenses. I will hang on to the 6D and a few primes for now, but even they might go later this year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Welcome aboard!

3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes, welcome aboard. Watcha riding?

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Welcome. The EOS M was so close to being a really fine camera. The size, the build, and the sensor were great.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Congrats with your new acquisition! :smile:

6. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    Riding a 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14. The EOS-M was the camera I would take on the road and have some really nice shots from it. For the price, it gives unbelievable IQ and with an adapter I can use my other lenses. Turns out I just like the ability to put it up to my eye and shoot too many things that move that the AF becomes an issue too much on the M.

For landscape in a compact, don't know if you can beat the M and the 22mm f/2.0 lens at twice the price, but on the road and as a daily shooter, I need more of a "do everything" camera.

I hemmed and hawed between the M10 and the M5, figured I lived without weather sealing on the M and liked the idea of the faster processor and built in flash, and for $100 cheaper to boot.

Hopefully will have my first few keepers in the next few days, just need to find something to shoot!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Welcome aboard! We look forward to seeing your pics. :)

8. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
  9. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    Scored a couple of deals locally on Craigslist:

Olympus 12-50mm for $185, excellent condition with a Tiffen UV filter
    Olympus 40-150mm for $90, NIB

I have jumped into MFT with both feet, time to start selling off some Canon gear!

10. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    EOS-M turned out to be a GREAT camera for Olympus, it got me to convert!

11. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    Nice first pictures.

12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Interesting update! Good luck with the new adventure :2thumbs:

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You're not the first to have bought u43 as a "small camera" and then gone on to 100% switch - and I doubt you'll be the last!

Good luck on your photo journey....