New Member Just Wanting To Say Hello nad Introduce Myself

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by gryphon1911, Mar 13, 2014.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Good day all.

I'm Andrew and I just picked up an Olympus EM5 and 12-50/3.5-6.3 lens a few days ago. So far i am very happy with it.

I had a Fuji X-E1, 18/2, 35/1.4 and 55-200/3.3-4.8 OIS lens for about a year. Realized that it would not be the right mirrorless option for me. While Fuji puts out cameras with fantastic image quality, the performance speed from the AF and shot to shot speed left me wanting. So far, the Oly OMD cameras have been able to keep up with me and the style in which I shoot.

I'm a long time Nikon shooter(what I have can be found in the sig below), using it for all my professional work. I also have some film cameras as well(listed below) that I use on occasion.

Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here about the m43 system. I've used quite a few cameras in my day, but never had the pleasure of using Olympus up until the EM5. Wish I had used one sooner. My plan is to acquire the Olympus 17/1.8 and the 45/1.8 to round out my street shooting and general kit, then down the road, perhaps pick up a longer zoom (40-150 or 70-300 perhaps??) to round out the kit.

If you want to see my work, links provided in the sig below.
    I'm also on Flickr and all the popular social media if anyone is interested.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Welcome Andrew.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here - as for Flickr, there's a dedicated thread where members can share their link. Personally, I went straight from film to this format - after a longish hiatus - I couldn't bear the prices of the FF digital cameras.

Anyway, have fun! :thumbup:
  3. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Hi, welcome to mu i'm sure you'll enjoy using the site. I don't know about the 75-300 but trust me the 40-150 is a good lens to get.
  4. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Thanks. I keep seeing posts all over the internet showing some great results from it, and at $200 new at some places and used for $110 at others, it almost seems like a no brainer.
  5. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out the site, so I have not run across that Flickr section you mentioned yet.
  6. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    Welcome Andrew.

7. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Hey, Andrew, glad to see you here.
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome aboard! Hope you find what you need here on the forum - lots of talented people here.
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Welcome. You have the right buying habits for this forum:smile:
  10. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome Andrew!

I can TOTALLY relate to your "story" of how you "evolved" to the M4/3 format...

Looking forward to seeing some of your images soon.

BTW - your "signature" which you referenced in your first post appears to be missing in action!