New Member Introduction Thread

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
@doady I am sorry for misunderstanding your post, I might be a little over sensitive right now.
I will try to use the advice to engage the brain before speaking and think before posting. :th_salute:
Sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet, and humour is not exactly my strong suit either, so it's not your fault. My post was meant to follow directly from MichailK's but I took a few minutes too long to write my post, otherwise it would have been more obvious I was just joking when I belittled both full frame and Micro Four Thirds.

Real Name
Melissa
Can't be quite sure... I think they're supposed to run on Whiskas and Latz, and convert that into excess fur they use to mark their people. But looking at them go I sometimes think they might convert some of that cat food into excess electricity used for completely unexpected zooming between rooms or around furniture.

You're going to fit right in here, lol. 😻

vladox

Mu-43 Regular
Hi everyone!

I'm Vlad, a Mexican PhD student (computing) based in Newcastle, UK. I've been shooting an Olympus E-M1.2 with a 12-100 lens attached to it most of the time for around 2 years now, and for me it is pretty much the perfect camera (though I'm very jealous of the joystick in the Mark3). I consider myself a generalist, with my favourite photo genres being landscapes and cityscapes, while also enjoying shooting nature stuff, e.g. macro, flowers and wildlife. Besides my beloved 12-100 f4, I use a 60mm f2.8 for macro, an 8mm f1.8 for wide shots, and after a long consideration got myself a 300mm f4 lens for birds, wildlife and semi-macro action shots, e.g. bees flying. As an extension to this intro, here are a few of my favourite photos, all shot with the Oly.

It's great that this forum exists, I'm excited about getting to know more m43 shooters from around the world.

See you around!
Vlad

PB020496-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PC137642.jpg

PC198322.jpg

View attachment 898193

OI000028-01-01.jpeg

PA176360_Original.jpg

PA045771_Original.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Hi everyone!

I'm Vlad, a Mexican PhD student (computing) based in Newcastle, UK. I've been shooting an Olympus E-M1.2 with a 12-100 lens attached to it most of the time for around 2 years now, and for me it is pretty much the perfect camera (though I'm very jealous of the joystick in the Mark3). I consider myself a generalist, with my favourite photo genres being landscapes and cityscapes, while also enjoying shooting nature stuff, e.g. macro, flowers and wildlife. Besides my beloved 12-100 f4, I use a 60mm f2.8 for macro, an 8mm f1.8 for wide shots, and after a long consideration got myself a 300mm f4 lens for birds, wildlife and semi-macro action shots, e.g. bees flying. As an extension to this intro, here are a few of my favourite photos, all shot with the Oly.

It's great that this forum exists, I'm excited about getting to know more m43 shooters from around the world.

See you around!
Vlad

View attachment 898183
View attachment 898181
View attachment 898185

View attachment 898193

View attachment 898184

View attachment 898186
Welcome!
And thanks for showing us your lovely photos!

This is a friendly forum and I hope you will enjoy it here.
Feel free to ask any questions, we like to help each other.

I usually say that all we ask from you is to see your pictures, but that seems redundant now! :thumbsup:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Hi everyone!

See you around!
Vlad

View attachment 898183
View attachment 898181
View attachment 898185

View attachment 898193

View attachment 898184
View attachment 898196
View attachment 898197
Welcome Vlad! This is an auspicious debut. Keep posting, I'd love to see more of your work.

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
Hi everyone!

See you around!
Vlad

View attachment 898183
View attachment 898181
View attachment 898185

View attachment 898193

View attachment 898184
View attachment 898196
View attachment 898197
These are just awesome, a great way to introduce yourself!

Good luck with both your studies and photography. You reminded me what I have missed during graduate studies - even thought it was hard works through my doctoral years, there were more free time to myself :).

Cheers

It's great finding such a friendly and enthusiastic photo community
from what I have found over the years, it comes with the m43 format: people with bigger egos never look down to anything smaller than APS-C and most people over here selected m43 after careful consideration of what they really need instead of simply following the bigger=better marketing mainstream - this implies their minds do function deep enough to see beyond the surface and this ability is usually not limited to photo gear, thus making them nice folks to chat with :)

vladox

Mu-43 Regular
Having introduced myself, and at risk of having already committed some offenses, I have three netiquette questions maybe someone can help me with. Should I...

1. Post full size vs thumbnail images?
2. Post multiple images on the same post?
2.1 Maybe a few are ok, but not lots?
3. Is it ok to repost the same picture in multiple threads? e.g. on a lens showcase and on the landscapes thread.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me about these!

Cheers,
Vlad

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Having introduced myself, and at risk of having already committed some offenses, I have three netiquette questions maybe someone can help me with. Should I...

1. Post full size vs thumbnail images?
The forum s/w automatically resizes images. So post full size images.
2. Post multiple images on the same post?
Usually I only post related images in one post - e.g. different shots of the same car.
2.1 Maybe a few are ok, but not lots?
Lots turn me off ...
3. Is it ok to repost the same picture in multiple threads? e.g. on a lens showcase and on the landscapes thread.
Cross posting is sometimes appropriate, and sometimes annoying (to me).
Thanks in advance for enlightening me about these!

HTH.
Cheers,
Vlad
People on this forum are pretty amiable and easy going IME. So don't get in a knot about it. People will gently guide you if they think something is outside the forum norms, etc.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
You can post images just large enough to fill the screen. "Full size" doesn't need to be the original size files. Actually, I would probably suggest not doing that. Something like 1280x960px should be enough for viewing on a screen.

I think you should not post a barrage of photos at once in a thread shared with many other users. But if it is your own thread for your own photos, it should be no problem.

I really like that leaf macro, it reminds me I used to makes photos with my point-and-shoot camera. It reminds me I don't have proper macro lens for Micro Four Thirds yet. Right now, my main combination is E-M1 II + 12-100mm, like you, but I don't have anything else now.

vladox

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for your help @John King and @doady !

Regarding the 'thumbnail' thing, I meant that after attaching an image, you are given the choice to insert it into the text as 'full image', e.g. the frog, or as a clickable thumbnail, e.g. the sky reflection. I believe in both cases the image gets downsampled to 1600px on the long side anyway, but thought the 'thumbnail' way to insert might be better when posting more than one or two pictures.

Thanks again and read you around! :thumbup:

P5091755.jpg

P5091862.jpg

Last edited:

vladox

Mu-43 Regular
You can post images just large enough to fill the screen. "Full size" doesn't need to be the original size files. Actually, I would probably suggest not doing that. Something like 1280x960px should be enough for viewing on a screen.

I think you should not post a barrage of photos at once in a thread shared with many other users. But if it is your own thread for your own photos, it should be no problem.

I really like that leaf macro, it reminds me I used to makes photos with my point-and-shoot camera. It reminds me I don't have proper macro lens for Micro Four Thirds yet. Right now, my main combination is E-M1 II + 12-100mm, like you, but I don't have anything else now.

That's great stuff @doady ! The 12-100 would probably suffice for me if I had to choose one lens to keep for the rest of my life! It shoots great portraits at 100 and amazing landscapes at 12 (though I tend to stay closer to the longer end most of the time these days).

The 60mm is an amazing lens and would certainly make a great addition to your arsenal if you're into it! As long as you have to patience to build a DIY diffuser (might show mine in some other post) and remember to always shoot with a flash, the results it yields are spectacular!

Cheers!

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Thanks for your help @John King and @doady !

Regarding the 'thumbnail' thing, I meant that after attaching an image, you are given the choice to insert it into the text as 'full image', e.g. the frog, or as a clickable thumbnail, e.g. the sky reflection. I believe in both cases the image will get downsampled to 1600 px on the large size anyway, but thought the 'thumbnail' way to insert might be better when posting more than one or two pictures.

Thanks again and read you around! :thumbup:

View attachment 898729

View attachment 898730
I did wonder about that interpretation. Better to insert the "full size" image. You are quite right about the forum software resizing.

I just upload whatever size JPEG happens to be on my web site. Over 14 years, my upload size has varied from 800x600 up to full resolution of the camera. So a mixed bag. It's a forum, FCOL, not our national gallery ... :rofl: .

BTW, love the froggie.

vladox

Mu-43 Regular
I did wonder about that interpretation. Better to insert the "full size" image. You are quite right about the forum software resizing.

I just upload whatever size JPEG happens to be on my web site. Over 14 years, my upload size has varied from 800x600 up to full resolution of the camera. So a mixed bag. It's a forum, FCOL, not our national gallery ... :rofl: .
Hahaha, you're absolutely right!

The downside I've noticed with posting in 'thumbnail' mode is that the EXIF data for the image gets lost (or maybe it's just me being unable to find it).

Thanks again John, have a great day!

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Hahaha, you're absolutely right!

The downside I've noticed with posting in 'thumbnail' mode is that the EXIF data for the image gets lost (or maybe it's just me being unable to find it).

Thanks again John, have a great day!
It's been a stressful, lousy week, ending in a 5 day lockdown today!

But thanks for your kind thoughts anyway.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom