New Member Introduction Thread

The Electric Squirrel

Mu-43 Regular
Hi! New forum member here. I'm just a nobody enjoying photography as a hobby since the film era. I used to have a photolab of my own, gear from 35mm to medium format. Then the digital age hit, I lost my lab and kind of gave up photography for a while.

Then I got back after a while. First a Fuji X-Pro1, then a Canon 6D that really got me back to the hobby. Updated that to an EOS R, but sometimes felt wanting for a smaller system I could carry in a jacket pocket. So many photos I've missed not having a camera with me.

Yes, there are phones, and they're quite good these days. But still I don't feel like using them as cameras. I carry a Samsung Galaxy S20 in my pocket, and I still feel it's a c--p camera. So I was on the look for something small-ish and affordable. And lo and behold, a local camera shop here in Finland had a nice sale on a Panasonic GX80 and a couple of lenses. So I jumped the gun and got one.

And I couldn't be much more surprised at the image quality MFT can produce even after shooting mainly full frame for some years. Yes, there are some things the smaller sensor can't do as well, but still...

There have been some voices declaring MFT dead for some time now. I truly hope that doesn't happen. For me having a MFT system aside a full frame one makes so much sense. I can have a significantly smaller and lighter system that gives only a fraction away in IQ, and then the larger one that's used when no compromises can be taken. I also love how the agility of the smaller system makes me take more playful images.

So, a happy camper here. Camping at two sites; MFT and FF.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Hi! New forum member here. I'm just a nobody enjoying photography as a hobby since the film era. I used to have a photolab of my own, gear from 35mm to medium format. Then the digital age hit, I lost my lab and kind of gave up photography for a while.

Then I got back after a while. First a Fuji X-Pro1, then a Canon 6D that really got me back to the hobby. Updated that to an EOS R, but sometimes felt wanting for a smaller system I could carry in a jacket pocket. So many photos I've missed not having a camera with me.

Yes, there are phones, and they're quite good these days. But still I don't feel like using them as cameras. I carry a Samsung Galaxy S20 in my pocket, and I still feel it's a c--p camera. So I was on the look for something small-ish and affordable. And lo and behold, a local camera shop here in Finland had a nice sale on a Panasonic GX80 and a couple of lenses. So I jumped the gun and got one.

And I couldn't be much more surprised at the image quality MFT can produce even after shooting mainly full frame for some years. Yes, there are some things the smaller sensor can't do as well, but still...

There have been some voices declaring MFT dead for some time now. I truly hope that doesn't happen. For me having a MFT system aside a full frame one makes so much sense. I can have a significantly smaller and lighter system that gives only a fraction away in IQ, and then the larger one that's used when no compromises can be taken. I also love how the agility of the smaller system makes me take more playful images.

Welcome to this friendly forum!
All we want from you is to see your pictures! ;)

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, all those soulless, detailed, noise-free full-frame images are welcome here too. Feel free to post them all, no matter how high quality they are.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...

A warm :Welcome: to this friendly forum, Electric Squirrel.

The Electric Squirrel

Mu-43 Regular
hmm, right, he comes from Finland and these guys tend to take every word literal meaning down to the iota, at least AFAIK - please @The Electric Squirrel give some slack to what you read around here

Well, it's not quite that simple. The short story is that we do - mainly - have a sense of humour, and that's how I understood that original message. Generally we can at times be quite blunt, maybe that's why we often enjoy british humour.

The Electric Squirrel

Mu-43 Regular
Not electric I hope!
Can't be quite sure... I think they're supposed to run on Whiskas and Latz, and convert that into excess fur they use to mark their people. But looking at them go I sometimes think they might convert some of that cat food into excess electricity used for completely unexpected zooming between rooms or around furniture.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Can't be quite sure... I think they're supposed to run on Whiskas and Latz, and convert that into excess fur they use to mark their people. But looking at them go I sometimes think they might convert some of that cat food into excess electricity used for completely unexpected zooming between rooms or around furniture.

Welcome :)

Yes, all those soulless, detailed, noise-free full-frame images are welcome here too. Feel free to post them all, no matter how high quality they are.

👆 was almost certainly a joke.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom