New Member Introduction Thread

doady

Mu-43 Regular
Another refugee from DPReview here. I was a member there for over 15 years but a couple weeks ago I got banned for criticizing another user for not properly sourcing the contents of news articles and using that content to mislead other users, and I suggested DPReview should not allow such behaviour. Not only did I get banned for that, the moderator even took it a step further and publicly accused me of being hostile and aggressive toward him, which surprised and confused me since I did not think my post had any hostile or aggressive tone, and I wasn't even my intention to criticize him or any of the moderators since they are not the ones who set the rules as far as I know. Of course, I am no longer allowed to post so I can't respond to that except here. So here I am.

I bought my first camera in 2004, the Olympus C-5060WZ, because I was obsessed with skyscrapers at the time and I wanted to document their construction. I upgraded to C-7070WZ less than a year later, which I used until a few months ago, I was planning to go to Vietnam, I needed a camera with enough storage space to last 2 months and better video capabilities to capture footage of my relatives and our time together, so I got Olympus E-M1 Mk2 with 12-100mm F4 Pro.

But, of course, COVID-19 happened, so maybe I didn't need to get E-M1 Mk2 and two 128GB cards after all. But at least the camera allows me to come here.

Honestly, I don't think DPReview is actually a bad place. Just too many gearheads, and of course at least one strangely vindictive moderator. I was hoping to find a less gear-centric place, especially not specific to one brand or one system, but maybe less system wars can also be refreshing and allow more focus on actual photography, and I still need to read about and learn about my new camera anyways. After 15 years with the C-7070WZ, I find that I am still getting used to the E-M1 Mk2, so I think this forum will help me make the transistion.

The other forums I looked at that are not specific to one brand/system don't have any section for printing, which I find very odd. I don't even print at the moment, but through print (books, magazines) is the main way I look at other peoples photos, so it's kinda hard to take any photography forum seriously that doesn't give a place for photographers to read about and discuss printing. The place has a printing forum so I know it is serious about photography.

doady

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks everyone. After the rejection from DPReview, I appreciate the welcome. I will post landscapes (urban, natural), and abstracts here. C-7070WZ still has a better macro lens, and it has a silent mechanical shutter and LCD that tilts up/down, so I will likely still use it for macro and street photography, so I will not able to post those kind of photos here.

One reason I chose E-M1 mk2 + 12-100mm F4 was because I decided to give up on street photography, that I am too anti-social or something. But COVID-19 has made me realize how much I miss being closer to people, so I think I will get back to doing that when this pandemic finally over.

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks everyone. After the rejection from DPReview, I appreciate the welcome. I will post landscapes (urban, natural), and abstracts here. C-7070WZ still has a better macro lens, and it has a silent mechanical shutter and LCD that tilts up/down, so I will likely still use it for macro and street photography, so I will not able to post those kind of photos here.

One reason I chose E-M1 mk2 + 12-100mm F4 was because I decided to give up on street photography, that I am too anti-social or something. But COVID-19 has made me realize how much I miss being closer to people, so I think I will get back to doing that when this pandemic finally over.
Absolutely nothing stopping you from posting photos from your C7070WZ here.

More than half the 3,500+ images on my web site were taken with my E-1, E-510 and E-30. I post them here all the time.

The extreme 'political correctness' you are all too familiar with at DPR does not appear to exist here AFAICS.

Last edited:

Stickytape

New to Mu-43
howdy folks!

nee member here, graduating from talk photography forum and living in the Old World. I’ve got a variety of equipment but have a penchant for slightly odd stuff. For the micro 4/3 set, I’ve got a Kodak S1 and kit kens, plus an Olympus 75-300, don’t ask about the rest of the kit.....!

Soran

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Dave
Hi, Ex Pentax shooter here. I already have an EM5-2 plus the Lumix 12-32, Oly 12-100mm Pro, and the 75-300mm, but am now going to trade in all my Pentax gear for an EM1 Mk3 and probably the 60mm Macro. I might be mad after the recent announcement, but my view is that I intend to use the gear for probably 5-10 years+ The glass will still be available, even it means buying used, and this set-up will still take damn good photos now, and in 10 years time.
I have looked at all the other systems, and they just don't work for me. Either too bulky, lacking in the features I want, or too expensive for glass. At the end of the day, I am just an enthusiast so don't need to rely on the kit to make me money, but it will let me enjoy taking pictures!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Hi, Ex Pentax shooter here. I already have an EM5-2 plus the Lumix 12-32, Oly 12-100mm Pro, and the 75-300mm, but am now going to trade in all my Pentax gear for an EM1 Mk3 and probably the 60mm Macro. I might be mad after the recent announcement, but my view is that I intend to use the gear for probably 5-10 years+ The glass will still be available, even it means buying used, and this set-up will still take damn good photos now, and in 10 years time.
I have looked at all the other systems, and they just don't work for me. Either too bulky, lacking in the features I want, or too expensive for glass. At the end of the day, I am just an enthusiast so don't need to rely on the kit to make me money, but it will let me enjoy taking pictures!
Welcome to the Forum!
You will find it a friendly place, all we ask from you is to see your pictures!

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Rookie
So I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. Born and living in Germany, I am not in my mid 30's and have always been kind of interested in photography all my live. However I never owned a camera myself until 1999/2000, when I got myself a simple, digital Olympus point&shoot, shortly after I stumbled across a great deal for another Olympus online: The 2100-UZ, which was a completely different thing than my previous P&S camera (which I sold to cover some of the costs). Over the following years, when I started job training and finally working fulltime, I tried several cameras, kept selling and buying them: A Sony F-828 replaced my Olympus, which again soon got replaced by a Nikon D70. A bit later I again stumbled across a great ebay deal where press agency was getting rid of old equipment and got myself a D2h for a really great price. The bigger the better, right? With such a professional camera, my photography skills would skyrocket for sure :thumbsup: - as you can imagine, it took me a while to realize, it's not the camera, it's the photographer who is mostly responsible.

But the journey wasn't over, I sold the D2h in favor for a brand new Nikon D300, when it finally got released late 2007. Around 2014/2015 I almost stopped taking photos at all, my Nikon equipment was sitting in the bag, which was more or less collecting dust, only being used on some occasions. Why? Because it was simply too big, too heavy, too bulky to carry around with. Fast forward to mid 2015 I wanted to get started on photography again, but I knew I had to take a different approach: Downsizing, by using smaller and lighter equipment I could take a bag, use it partly for camera stuff and partly for EDC. I was looking at Nikon 1, Fujifilm and of course Micro-Four-Thirds. After reading dozens of reviews, experience reports, watching videos on Youtube for many days, I decided MFT was the right choice, I replaced my Nikon equipment pretty much 1:1 with Olympus gear: E-M1, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro as well as a grip - conveniently Olympus just had an attractive offer going on, which gave a EUR 150 cashback as well as a free batterygrip. I quickly sold my Nikon stuff after just two weeks, after realizing the new system was more than enough and better for my hobbyist needs.

Fast forward today the Pen-F has pretty much became my all time favorite camera, I learned to love primes, to even more appreciate the small and compact size of the equipment. I used to read a lot and even be registered at DP Review forums, however the ongoing "war" and endless discussions about full-frame stuff, equivalency, inability of the system and obvious trolls I actually requested to delete my account, since I didn't even want to be able to comment and reply anymore. I found this forum and was active as a silent reader, some weeks ago I give contributing another try, the atmosphere around here seems more friendly and dedicated towards photography, rather than gear battles.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
Welcome, and thanks for the background. I appreciate the hobbyist rediscoveringthe craft aspect.
My story is similar, but started at film, skipped most of digital`s formative years and I ended up with a MFT about two years ago on the recommendation of some friends.

Its been a fun and, at times, frustrating learning curve.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
So I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. Born and living in Germany, I am not in my mid 30's and have always been kind of interested in photography all my live. However I never owned a camera myself until 1999/2000, when I got myself a simple, digital Olympus point&shoot, shortly after I stumbled across a great deal for another Olympus online: The 2100-UZ, which was a completely different thing than my previous P&S camera (which I sold to cover some of the costs). Over the following years, when I started job training and finally working fulltime, I tried several cameras, kept selling and buying them: A Sony F-828 replaced my Olympus, which again soon got replaced by a Nikon D70. A bit later I again stumbled across a great ebay deal where press agency was getting rid of old equipment and got myself a D2h for a really great price. The bigger the better, right? With such a professional camera, my photography skills would skyrocket for sure :thumbsup: - as you can imagine, it took me a while to realize, it's not the camera, it's the photographer who is mostly responsible.

But the journey wasn't over, I sold the D2h in favor for a brand new Nikon D300, when it finally got released late 2007. Around 2014/2015 I almost stopped taking photos at all, my Nikon equipment was sitting in the bag, which was more or less collecting dust, only being used on some occasions. Why? Because it was simply too big, too heavy, too bulky to carry around with. Fast forward to mid 2015 I wanted to get started on photography again, but I knew I had to take a different approach: Downsizing, by using smaller and lighter equipment I could take a bag, use it partly for camera stuff and partly for EDC. I was looking at Nikon 1, Fujifilm and of course Micro-Four-Thirds. After reading dozens of reviews, experience reports, watching videos on Youtube for many days, I decided MFT was the right choice, I replaced my Nikon equipment pretty much 1:1 with Olympus gear: E-M1, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro as well as a grip - conveniently Olympus just had an attractive offer going on, which gave a EUR 150 cashback as well as a free batterygrip. I quickly sold my Nikon stuff after just two weeks, after realizing the new system was more than enough and better for my hobbyist needs.

Fast forward today the Pen-F has pretty much became my all time favorite camera, I learned to love primes, to even more appreciate the small and compact size of the equipment. I used to read a lot and even be registered at DP Review forums, however the ongoing "war" and endless discussions about full-frame stuff, equivalency, inability of the system and obvious trolls I actually requested to delete my account, since I didn't even want to be able to comment and reply anymore. I found this forum and was active as a silent reader, some weeks ago I give contributing another try, the atmosphere around here seems more friendly and dedicated towards photography, rather than gear battles.
Welcome!

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for the welcome, the learning curve can be frustrating, yet fun at the same time. I actually kind of enjoyed the early years of digital: There were very weird designs, we had the traditional camera brands like Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax and so on getting into digital, while other brands, more known for technical entertainment like Sony, Panasonic, Casio or Samsung taking their knowledge to produce cameras. For a lot of people it was still unbelievable to take pictures "for free", you could experiment much more without spending any money on films or development. Even though image quality was very rough, everybody enjoyed the photos and new possibilities.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom