New Member Introduction Thread

WT21

Super Moderator
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking on the forums for a while, and really like the sense of community here. I'm Seth, I live in San Diego, and I am just now getting serious about taking pictures. I messed around with my father's old Minolta 35mm about 20 years ago, and that got me interested in creating images. I have since dabbled in videography (weddings and short films), and then began using a hand-me-down camera (Canon Power Shot Pro 1) for about 6 years (vacation shots mostly). My wife and I had a daughter last year, and I bought a Panny g85 to document the first years of her life. Now, I cannot leave the house without my camera. I am starting to discover what I like to shoot (and what focal lengths I best see the world through). Hoping to contribute to the community and gain insight from everyone here.
Welcome Seth. I, too, have the G85. Very nice camera. Get a fast prime with it! Also, as Lupin noted, take pictures daily. Kids are a great time in life to be motivated about photography.

Baklamente

New to Mu-43
Thanks for the warm welcome! Photography has become my main hobby--and taking pictures of my daughter never gets old. I try to always have my camera for those cute little moments that pop up.

So far I have the p25 1.7, the 14 2.5, and a few adapted lenses. I have been eyeing the Olympus 17 1.8 for a wider, faster lens in the house, and eventually I will get a 45 or 42.5. The 12-60 kit lens is great when the light is there, but I feel a bit more connected to the subjects when shooting a fixed focal length.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the warm welcome! Photography has become my main hobby--and taking pictures of my daughter never gets old. I try to always have my camera for those cute little moments that pop up.

So far I have the p25 1.7, the 14 2.5, and a few adapted lenses. I have been eyeing the Olympus 17 1.8 for a wider, faster lens in the house, and eventually I will get a 45 or 42.5. The 12-60 kit lens is great when the light is there, but I feel a bit more connected to the subjects when shooting a fixed focal length.

I have the Oly 45/1.8 and love it for portraits. I also like to play with other lens, but if I only had two one would be the 45, and the other would be either the 17/1.8 or the 12-40/2.8.

David G

New to Mu-43
Hello everyone,
I've been reading the forums and watching a lot of really incredible photographs over here for a while now. Although I probably won't be posting a lot, I thought I might just as well introduce myself.

I'm David and I live in the Netherlands (hence the bad english:cool:). As kids we allways had Point&Shoot film cameras. We did our best but made a lot of pictures of legs, grass, sky, we had to practice more P before S.
Later I had some digital P&S cameras (Kodak and Fuji), and the pointing went a lot better over time.
However photography was not really a hobby for me then.

My hobby was kartracing, and I had a karting related website. Occasionally we organized meetings on a circuit, and people in karting turned out to be very fond of photographs. I allready had a lot of karting gear to pack, was very busy with other things on such a day, so I wanted something small, easy to use and with a reasonable amount of reach to capture the action on track.
So I bought a Panasonic FZ8.
P1120125+.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Panasonic FZ8 is an allmost pocketable camera, I began to carry it around more often, and started to point it at other things too, as I enjoyed biking and hiking more and more.
P1110760+.JPG

P1110470+.JPG

P1020242+.JPG

Over time I grew more accustomed to the FZ8, I really like it. It does not have a lot of external controls, but the user interface is very clever, settings can be quickly changed.
So years went by, me being happy with my little Panasonic. My brother thought it was time for me to upgrade, and lent me his Canon 650D, but it allmost never left the box it came in. I could not get used to the user interface and it was not as easy to take with me. So I gave it back to my brother.

A month or two ago I came across a used Olympus Omd EM-5. Those camera's can be found at friendly prices nowadays, so I decided to give it a try, but also to keep it low-butget.
Well what can I say, it has a less then perfect user interface, but I really love the dual control wheels, and the solid feel of the camera.
After playing a while with it using the 14-42 kit lens that came with it, I did not particularly like the lens, so it was replaced by an Olympus 12-40 Pro lens (and thus failing in keeping it low budget).
Still practicing with it, but results are getting better
P8090296+.JPG

P8170447+.JPG

PA131197+.JPG

Since I was used to the Panasonic, I missed the reach, so I bought a Panasonic 45-175 lens. These lenses can also be found fearly cheap secondhand.
PA241619+.JPG

P9140815++.JPG

PA241692+.JPG

I think I'll be keeping the Olympus and play around with it some more.

I don't do a lot of post processing, sometimes small adjustments or cropping (the soccer photograph was cropped a lot), so I shoot jpeg only.
I'm not a very experienced photograhper either, I leave the mode dial in P most of the time, however I do play around with exposure compensation, white balance, etc. When I feel like it or when I can't get the picture that I want otherwise, I'll use whatever control the camera has to offer and I know how to use.

So there's still a lot to learn, I really like the stunning photographs around here, and hope someday I'll be able to get similar results too :)

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Hello everyone,
I've been reading the forums and watching a lot of really incredible photographs over here for a while now. Although I probably won't be posting a lot, I thought I might just as well introduce myself.

I'm David and I live in the Netherlands (hence the bad english:cool:). As kids we allways had Point&Shoot film cameras. We did our best but made a lot of pictures of legs, grass, sky, we had to practice more P before S.
Later I had some digital P&S cameras (Kodak and Fuji), and the pointing went a lot better over time.

My hobby was kartracing, and I had a karting related website. Occasionally we organized meetings on a circuit, and people in karting turned out to be very fond of photographs. I allready had a lot of karting gear to pack, was very busy with other things on such a day, so I wanted something small, easy to use and with a reasonable amount of reach to capture the action on track.
View attachment 782651

The Panasonic FZ8 is an allmost pocketable camera, I began to carry it around more often, and started to point it at other things too, as I enjoyed biking and hiking more and more.View attachment 782662
View attachment 782663
View attachment 782664

Over time I grew more accustomed to the FZ8, I really like it. It does not have a lot of external controls, but the user interface is very clever, settings can be quickly changed.
So years went by, me being happy with my little Panasonic. My brother thought it was time for me to upgrade, and lent me his Canon 650D, but it allmost never left the box it came in. I could not get used to the user interface and it was not as easy to take with me. So I gave it back to my brother.

A month or two ago I came across a used Olympus Omd EM-5. Those camera's can be found at friendly prices nowadays, so I decided to give it a try, but also to keep it low-butget.
Well what can I say, it has a less then perfect user interface, but I really love the dual control wheels, and the solid feel of the camera.
After playing a while with it using the 14-42 kit lens that came with it, I did not particularly like the lens, so it was replaced by an Olympus 12-40 Pro lens (and thus failing in keeping it low budget).
View attachment 782678
View attachment 782679
View attachment 782680

Since I was used to the Panasonic, I missed the reach, so I bought a Panasonic 45-175 lens. These lenses can also be found fearly cheap secondhand.
View attachment 782682
View attachment 782683
View attachment 782685

I don't do a lot of post processing, sometimes small adjustments or cropping (the soccer photograph was cropped a lot), so I shoot jpeg only.
I'm not a very experienced photograhper either, I leave the mode dial in P most of the time, however I do play around with exposure compensation, white balance, etc. When I feel like it or when I can't get the picture that I want otherwise, I'll use whatever control the camera has to offer and I know how to use.

So there's still a lot to learn, I really like the stunning photographs around here, and hope someday I'll be able to get similar results too :)
Welcome!
I like that last picture, I almost missed the bird at first!
I would suggest that you start saving both JPG and Raw files, so you have the ability to PP pictures in the future.

David G

New to Mu-43
Welcome!
I like that last picture, I almost missed the bird at first!
Thanks! It was a very courageos little bird, the people around me were trying to get shots from a cheetah (no safari for me unfortunately, I was at the Zoo).
I would suggest that you start saving both JPG and Raw files, so you have the ability to PP pictures in the future.
I'll try that, haven't tested it so far. Thanks for your advice!

Hello. Again.

I've been away for five years (with Nikon) but I'm back with M43. PX'd the D3300, lenses and flash for an ex-demo Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II + 12-40 Pro lens at my favourite dealer. Everything's in mint condition; can't even find a fingerprint on it. The reduced price reflected the release of the Mark III which was over my budget. One way to look at it is I've bought a full price lens with a very cheap Mark II attached to it. :laugh:

I'm currently ploughing through the pdf manual to work out where everything is and how to do simple things like turn off the annoying focusing beep. Early days.

Must change the profile picture too: the little one's not so little anymore.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Hello. Again.

I've been away for five years (with Nikon) but I'm back with M43. PX'd the D3300, lenses and flash for an ex-demo Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II + 12-40 Pro lens at my favourite dealer. Everything's in mint condition; can't even find a fingerprint on it. The reduced price reflected the release of the Mark III which was over my budget. One way to look at it is I've bought a full price lens with a very cheap Mark II attached to it. :laugh:

I'm currently ploughing through the pdf manual to work out where everything is and how to do simple things like turn off the annoying focusing beep. Early days.

Welcome back!

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello. Again.

Welcome to the gang and congrats on a great setup with your camera and lens: very capable. Though I have them too so I’m a little bit biased. ;-)

As for the menus, yes they can be frustrating at first, but Olympus cameras allow you to change so many settings. It does better once you understand them, but in the meantime they are a pain.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello everyone,

View attachment 782651

The Panasonic FZ8 is an allmost pocketable camera, I began to carry it around more often, and started to point it at other things too, as I enjoyed biking and hiking more and more.View attachment 782662
View attachment 782663
View attachment 782664

View attachment 782678
View attachment 782679
View attachment 782680

View attachment 782682
View attachment 782683
View attachment 782685

Welcome to the club! I have an E-M5 and it’s a great little camera despite the age. It’s a bit slower than the Mk II (I have them both), but still very satisfying for what it can do.

alberteh

Mu-43 Regular
Hello all,

Here is my introduction. I like to take pictures and have some tools that assist me in that endeavor.

I've settled on a M43 and fullframe setup, with my main shooter being the em1 mk ii.

I've been poking around all different forums and this one is the one that i check regularly so i thought "well i might as well get a username and start contributing"

so here i am, hope to get to know everyone.

thanks

Феодаравич

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom