New Member Introduction Thread

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Hi all, I've already posted a dozen before introducing myself, so a little late introduction, but... I'm from Japan, now living in US about 20 years. I've used GH2 and GH3 for video work to record audition materials for classical musicians, playing acoustic instruments (grand piano, violin, chamber orchestra, etc). Some clients were young students who got international contests, got admitted to prestigious schools like Juliard, etc. Some professional pianists as well. So, my best expertise is not really photography, but location audio recording (mostly church and concert hall) and sound/video editing around these. (I have bunch of recording/audio equipment, so let me know if you have Q's) I had some experience in photography in '80s, but not so seriously. Now, my kids are in higher education and I have a little more free time of learning. So, I've started to use GH3 for photography. Joined this forum and really enjoying what I could learn much more.

WendyK

Super Moderator
Real Name
Wendy
. I've used GH2 and GH3 for video work to record audition materials for classical musicians, playing acoustic instruments (grand piano, violin, chamber orchestra, etc). Some clients were young students who got international contests, got admitted to prestigious schools like Juliard, etc. Some professional pianists as well. So, my best expertise is not really photography, but location audio recording (mostly church and concert hall) and sound/video editing around these.

Welcome, Masayoshi! Having recently finished my son's prescreening recordings for conservatories and music schools, I have a new appreciation for what you do! I may call upon your expertise in the future.

Minimalist81

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sam Shone
Hi everyone, I'm Sam 34 years old and from Manchester in the UK.

I caught the photography bug quite late but have been obsessed for the past 3 years. I originally bought myself a Pentax K5ii which was a great camera. I've shot a few weddings and toyed with the idea of going down this path as a career however I love my day job, so decided to keep photography as a personal venture.

I fancied a change and something a little it more compact so for Christmas I treated myself to a Panasonic GX80 and the 15mm F1.7 lens. The M43 system had been on my radar for sometime, but finally committed as the December cashback deals from Panasonic were just amazing. Initially I wasn't convinced I could love the plastic body and I'll admit I had the usual reservations about moving to a smaller sensor, but I've loved everything about it so far. The system is compact, affordable and capable of great things. The constant innovation from Panasonic and Olympus is great to see.

I've started a little website more for myself, but if you would like to check out my images please feel free! www.samshone.com

I look forward to interacting with you all!

TravisK840

New to Mu-43
My name is Travis and I'm from New York. I'm just recently trying to get into a more serious photography having only really played with point and shoots before this. Seems like a nice forum!

ATucker

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Tom
Hello All, Tom from Ohio, US. I picked up an LX100 2 years ago and carried it everywhere and started to sell off my Canon gear. It was a great little camera, but due to recent issues with the LX100, I am looking for a replacement. Likely a weather sealed Oly E-M5 or E-M5ii with a 14-40PRO lens. Great forum here.

Mu-43 Legend
Hello All, Tom from Ohio, US. I picked up an LX100 2 years ago and carried it everywhere and started to sell off my Canon gear. It was a great little camera, but due to recent issues with the LX100, I am looking for a replacement. Likely a weather sealed Oly E-M5 or E-M5ii with a 14-40PRO lens. Great forum here.

Welcome to the forum Tom.

Mu-43 Legend
My name is Travis and I'm from New York. I'm just recently trying to get into a more serious photography having only really played with point and shoots before this. Seems like a nice forum!

Welcome Travis from a fellow northeasterner

Mu-43 Legend
Hello to the Forum! I have been a lurker some time and decided to register.

It's a nice forum. Especially nice is, that while it is necessary to talk about the gear, this forum seems to be much more.

I expect to learn something here.

-- Timo
Welcome aboard Timo.

Please also share your work, too. We love to see photos!

Rob E-W

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob Edlin-White
Hello. I'm Rob, from Nottingham, UK. Still trying to work out whether this forum & is relevant for me. I take photos purely as a personal creative outlet - no ambitions or pretensions to publish or make money from it. And I don't have a massive equipment budget.

I've just bought my first "proper" digital camera, with a view to becoming a bit more creative and getting better images, and I'm finding it a huge but rewarding learning curve. I did use a film SLR up until about 15 years ago, (since then a "point and click" digital), so I understand some basic concepts about exposure, focus etc, but getting to grips with the labyrinthine menus on the Olympus E-M5 Mark II is a whole new challenge. There are some superb features and facilities, and - to my way of thinking - some gimmicky ones which clutter the user interface. No doubt different people find different functions useful. I want to get to the stage soon where operating the camera is instinctive, not a distraction, so that I can concentrate on the scene and the image rather than the device.

:)

RichardB

Snapshooter
Real Name
Richard
Hello. I'm Rob, from Nottingham, UK. Still trying to work out whether this forum & is relevant for me. I take photos purely as a personal creative outlet - no ambitions or pretensions to publish or make money from it. And I don't have a massive equipment budget.

I've just bought my first "proper" digital camera, with a view to becoming a bit more creative and getting better images, and I'm finding it a huge but rewarding learning curve. I did use a film SLR up until about 15 years ago, (since then a "point and click" digital), so I understand some basic concepts about exposure, focus etc, but getting to grips with the labyrinthine menus on the Olympus E-M5 Mark II is a whole new challenge. There are some superb features and facilities, and - to my way of thinking - some gimmicky ones which clutter the user interface. No doubt different people find different functions useful. I want to get to the stage soon where operating the camera is instinctive, not a distraction, so that I can concentrate on the scene and the image rather than the device.

:)
Welcome, Rob. There are lots of us amateurs here. Olympus menus are notoriously complex but you won't need to dive into them too often. With the E-M5 II you'll probably be able to assign every setting you need to a physical control. Have fun!

Rob E-W

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob Edlin-White
Welcome, Rob. There are lots of us amateurs here. Olympus menus are notoriously complex but you won't need to dive into them too often. With the E-M5 II you'll probably be able to assign every setting you need to a physical control. Have fun!
Yup - that's the idea. I didn't understand the complexity before I bought it, but I did take good notice of the number of manual tactile controls and the quality of the viewfinder, and I was reliable advised that I could set up the controls to do what I wanted so that my experience could be similar to that on my old OM2 - i.e. eye glued to the viewfinder and most adjustments made by feel alone.

clk55pete

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurking newbie here. Bought a Pany GF1 in October 2009 and then a GH2 and GX1. (I also use a Canon G7X as a pocket camera). (I will probably be getting an Olympus EM1 II soon).

After taking early retirement from work in 2009, aged 51, and took up photography as a hobby. You can see some of my work here: Main linking site

I hope and plan to contribute more here - but do get a lot out of reading all your posts.

Pete

ECardenal

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi folks!

I'm new to M43 just baought an Olympus OMD E-M10 mark II this afternoon.

I come from Nikon world (FX). I suffered a heart stroke two years ago and I'm reluctant to carry the (heavy) camera bag, so I had to put my photography passion on hold.

But you know how this works... I was missing to look the world through the viewfinder, so I bought a lighter camera in the hope to get back to business. I'm starting fresh, so mostly I'll read and maybe ask a lot. ;)

I don't have a preference on subjects, but I do mostly landscape and architectural photography. But who knows.. with a lighter, discrete camera maybe I'll get rid of my shyness to photograph people....

Web-Betty

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Melissa
Welcome aboard @ECardenal ! You'll find amazingly helpful people here. Don't be shy to post! We love seeing everyone's pictures. :)

MarBaz

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Marco Bazzano
Hello everyone, my name is Marco and I'm from Italy. I'm waiting for my first mu43 camera (Tuesday is the big day :) ) I come from Canon FX world, I love landscapes and portraits photography. Just today, when i was searching for some tips on the Olympus cameras, I stumbled in this beautiful forum rich of information and great people! So I decide to subscribe! And here I am!
Greetings from Pizza's Country!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom