1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Member Introduction Thread

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by BBW, Jan 26, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Since I think we might run out of room if we each had our own thread, here an all encompassing one. If I'm wrong and our Admins do want that, they can magically make this all about me.:wink:

I live outside of New York City, majored in Fine Arts Photography back late 70's, used my Olympus OM-1 and specialized in color printing... Did all my own stuff using an Omega B22 (I think?), color filters, water baths parked on top of a small hot tray, thermometers...all in my various off campus apartments...

Fast forward, many years later through the stuff of life, after solely using a nice little Canon point and shoot without a viewfinder, I found myself drawn back in suddenly by the new Olympus E-P cameras and thanks to finding my way here through The Online Photographer... Well, the rest is already history - or is about to be as I relearn the art of photography along with the technical demands of the digital world that is still very new to me.

I have to say that this group has been incredibly helpful and me thinks we're on to a good thing here.:bravo-009:

P.S. Since Yves pointed out that he was a male, I felt it was only proper to mention that I'm female, married with one husband, one child, a number of animals and happy to be alive and kicking since 1954. There, I think that completes it.:flypig:

Administrator note: I think it's a great idea to have a general introductions thread, but everyone feel free to make your own thread if you prefer! There's plenty of space :smile:. -Amin

• Like Like x 25
  2. sebastel

sebastel Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2010
    not your business
    Introducing (moved from another thread)

great idea.

let me add my own intro.
    currently living in southwestern germany, photography is (one of my) major hobby(ies) since the mid 1970es. i used to process in my father's (wet) darkroom which taught me a profound detest of the wet positive process - so, digital photography was heaven sent to me.

nowadays, i still like film based photography (mostly using zeiss ikon or voigtländer bessa cameras), but digital sees more use (E-P1 and epson R-D1).
    by the way - i scan my film negatives and slides :-D

i chose my avatar picture for a reason: i can be quite unreasonable.

[_]female
    [_]undecided

cheers!

• Like Like x 15
  3. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    Introducing... (moved from another thread)

OK, then it is on me since sebastel pointed me to this forum. I also live in the south west part of Germany. My first little intro was in the B&W forum on this site.

First hand I am a film guy, still using my darkroom producing b&w prints, lith prints, cyanotypes and kallitypes. I am a pinhole photographer by heart using different pinhole cameras in different sizes.

Second hand I am a digital user. I bought a Panasonic G1 a few months ago after I sold my DSLR. All my color work is digital since this gives me more freedom than doing color prints in the darkroom.

Cheers
    rst

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. BBW

Clearly this thread needs some action from some of you.:wink::bump:

5. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Hello everyone, my real name's Jaydee, and my wife's name is Sheryl. We're originally from the Philippines but have both been working and living in Singapore for 4 years now. We recently got ourselves some nice cameras (GF1 and E-P2) and are really loving them so far. Except the price tags they had.

We have zero experience and are both really eager to learn. We like lurking through the forum threads and the member galleries here, hoping to get some inspiration or at least get ideas on which places are nice to visit.

Our first camera is our Canon G11. This is what triggered our interest in photography. We revisited our flickr accounts and learned about flickr groups, then saw nice pictures, then heard about micro four thirds :D That's when all the trouble began.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 9
  6. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Best answered ON MY SITE rather than rehashing on each forum.

• Like Like x 3
  7. BBW

Welcome noodlehaus - both to you Jaydee and to your wife Sheryl. So glad you found your way here to mu-43.com! I have seen your posts but hadn't noticed your introduction here. This is a great discussion forum and there is a wide variety in the knowledge and experience among our members. You might want to check out the weekly "Image Quest" for a start. Here's the link to the one that is just starting. It's very low key but also very helpful. https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=1049:flowers_2:

8. BBW

Welcome noodlehaus - both to you Jaydee and to your wife Sheryl. So glad you found your way here to mu-43.com! I have seen your posts but hadn't noticed your introduction here. This is a great discussion forum and there is a wide variety in the knowledge and experience among our members. You might want to check out the weekly "Image Quest" for a start. Here's the link to the one that is just starting. It's very low key but also very helpful. https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=1049:flowers_2:

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

And here's a surprise! Thanks for the official introduction and your history, hodad!:biggrin: Great photos of you through the ages, too.:cool:

10. mark1000

mark1000 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2010
    Hi Guys, Friend of mine pointed me this way today as a nice friendly place with a nature forum, so as i like to take bird shots i'm in.

Real name as you may have guessed is Mark, have been into photography for best part of 35 years and found my perfect setup in the panasonioc G1, although i am waiting for the new announcements due shortly for a G system camera with both video and EVF but at a more reasonable price than GH1.

My location is Southampton UK.

Mark.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BBW

Welcome Mark and I'll be looking forward to your photographs. I have quite a few friends who are birders.:thumbup:

12. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Hello.

I decided to join this forum because I got fed up with the constant bickering at dpreview m43 forum. And I looked some of the posts here and just liked the tone and the people :)

I'm a Finnish artist and graphic designer. I own about 25 film and instant cameras, encompassing many different formats. I've done some darkroom work, both in B&Wand color, and once I return to Finland (my home country), I will build a darkroom around my very old medium format enlarger.

My only digital camera before the GF1 was a Gameboy camera. The GF1 really fits my requirements, of a compact size, adaptable lenses and good enough IQ. It's my current take anywhere camera. Replacing my various 35mm pocket AF film cameras.

So nice to meet you all. I hope we´ll have a great time discussing all things micro 4/3!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome Krang,

I think you'll find this forum a peaceful haven :smile:

Cheers

Brian

14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Tis me

Hi All,

Some of you will know me and some may have seen the wonderful and head swelling feature that Amin ran on me a while back but for the newer members let me introduce myself.

My name is Ian and I reside in the Cotswolds in the UK

I previously worked for the US Government in West Berlin for 11 years as a photojournalist.

I returned home in 1991 after documenting the fall of the Berlin Wall and associated events, visits from numerous heads of state including the Queen of Great Britain, Ronald Reagan and George Bush senior, as well as numerous US Secretaries of State and Senators.

I continued as a working photographer until 2001, using all formats from 10x8 to 35mm.

I now view photography as a hobby and means of relaxation and have converted over to digital cameras ranging from compacts to digital rangefinder.

You can find see more of my recent work, which I describes as a collection of digital images using compacts/DSLR's and digital rangefinders purely for my own relaxation and non-commercial purposes from May 2007 to the current time, at my blog: http://www.ianskyphotosite.blogspot.com/

If some of my images can make you smile or even better, inspire you then we have both gained - welcome to what is the best micro 4/3rds site on the web!

• Like Like x 6
  15. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    Hi I'm Igi

I have a frustration of always wanting to have and use a camera(actually not only cameras but almost all optical devices) ever since I was young so one of the first things that I got on my first paychecks was a camera!

I'm using an E-P1 17mm right now and I'm having a great time with it:biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
  16. BBW

Hi Igi and welcome! I think you'll find yourself quite at home here pretty fast. If you haven't had a chance yet, do check out the Housekeeping forum for info. about how to use the galleries, post photos, etc.

If you feel like it, it would be interesting to know how you found your way here. For me it was via The Online Photographer where I saw the small blue outlined ad.:biggrin:

17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Igi,

Welcome to the Premier micro 4/3rds site on the net.

You will find everyone here friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As the founder of mu-43.com, I guess I should say a little bit more about myself.

I grew up on Long Island, New York and now live close to Boston where I work long but enjoyable hours as a physician-teacher at a large medical school.

Photography became a part of my life with the birth of my first son nearly 7 years ago, and documentation of my family life remains my primary photographic interest. It's amazing how single images can have so much personal meaning. For example, this 2004 image of my son walking with and looking up at my dad says it all for me about the special relationship shared by those two:

[​IMG]

I started mu-43.com because I'm excited by the potential of the Micro Four Thirds system. I connect with my G1 and GH1 in a way that I never did with Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and my goal was to create a special place just for Micro 4/3 users.

In the day to day workings of mu-43, I am the site owner, builder, bug fixer, and janitor. I also help to moderate, though there hasn't been much need for that!

The community here has been incredible. I'm very grateful to Brian Mosley, Streetshooter, BBW, and all of you for making mu-43.com what it is, and I have high hopes for what it can be.

• Like Like x 10
  19. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Pete

Hi all, I'm happy to be here to learn and participate. I love my brand new ep2 but still have hopes for a leica down the road. I thought I'd briefly tell about myself as I have enjoyed reading the mini stories here.

Born and raised in Hawaii, surfed, rock band, in younger days and always photography. Three kids gone (pumps fist) and on their own but stay close. Our rock band in the 60's was called "Golden Days in Grampas Garden" ....go figure, and our claim to fame was we were one of 3 local bands to open for the Doors on their first visit to Hawaii...

Moved to Arizona...don't ask why and been here ever since. This forum has been a refreshing change for me. I had lost my drive for shooting pics and this site along with another, (and I'm talking about the people) has rekindled the flame I once had.

Thanks for listening or reading :)

http://www.petewillingphotography.com

• Like Like x 5
  20. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    welcome here , a wonderful spot to share m4\3 info and such

• Like Like x 1