1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New member intro

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by WendyK, Mar 10, 2014.

1. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Hi, I’m new, I have been lurking here ever since I decided to order an OM-D E-M10, and have only posted a few times. I decided to join in here because you all seem very friendly and helpful and talented, so I figured I should participate in order to learn even more.

I live outside of Washington, DC. I’ve been a very casual photographer up until a couple of years ago when I decided to learn more about the (now 10 year old) Canon Digital Rebel I inherited from my father. Up until that time I was just using it on Auto, which yielded better results than my previous point and shoot, but still didn’t quite capture what I saw in my head. My primary form of artistic expression is gardening, and the photography is a complement to that, as it allows me to preserve those beautiful moments in the garden throughout the year and share them with others as I see them. I don’t take too many family pictures unless it’s an occasion or a trip because my only child is a teenage boy who doesn’t like to be photographed. I distinctly remember wishing I could burn every photo of myself at 14, so I guess I can understand that impulse.

I’ve learned quite a bit, but still have a long way to go. I feel like I’ve come a long way in terms of composition, but there is a limit to what you can learn with a 10 year old Canon kit zoom, and I didn’t want to invest in more lenses until I had a new camera.

Well…the autofocus stopped working on the old Canon, the battery compartment was held together with duct tape, and the little Flip Video camera I used for family video purposes bit the dust so it was finally time for a new camera. I knew that to really learn I would want to buy additional lenses, and the idea of a full size DSLR and large lenses held me back. I knew that sort of gear would get left at home more often than not. I was researching options and read about mirrorless cameras with interest. Ultimately I picked up the Olympus E-M10, which seems to be the right camera for me at the right time. I recently received the 12-42mm EZ and 25mm Oly lenses that I pre-ordered, as well as the 40-150mm zoom. I decided on 25mm for my first prime based on the EXIF data of my favorite garden shots, but I’ll probably pick up the 45mm before long.

Most of the photos you see from me will be flower/plant/nature shots - though I prefer to shoot garden vignettes and scenes rather than flower or plant macros. Here are a couple of sample shots from the old Canon, taken last May in the garden.

9166849665_8573e15e32_b.

This is my first bloom of 2014, taken just this morning with the E-M10 + 40-150mm + MCON-P01 attachment

13070332054_bc6cb4db0b_b.

I’m really looking forward to using this great camera in the garden this year!

Wendy

2. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Welcome from another Virginian, Wendy! I'm in southwest Virginia, near Blacksburg.

I too shot my first snowdrop of the season today, but I've not gotten it off the SD card yet. (If I got anything decent, I'll post it in the Flowers thread later tonight.) I shoot more garden macros than vistas, but lots of flowers!

Enjoy your camera and this forum. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Nice to see another Virginian, Kristi! I look forward to seeing your flowers this spring.