New member in London

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Grey Fox, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Grey Fox

Grey Fox New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    New member checking in...

I'd like to introduce myself. I've just bought into m4/3 - having sold an Olympus E-1 I bought a used Panasonic G2 body and, needing a slightly more compact camera, a used GF1 as well. I acquired a 14-42 kit lens, 20mm f1.7 pancake and a 40-150!

My reason for moving to m4/3 is that I like smaller cameras and I had inherited a Leica M6 and a bunch of lenses which, to my amazement and delight, I found I could use with the m4/3 cameras and also my favourite Olympus 4/3 lens.

I've long loved photography - as a teenager I used to read and re-read Eric de Mare's Penguin book of Photography with its fantastic and classic black and white pics by Cartier Bresson etc. I feel with the GF1 I have a small camera in the tradition of the Leica. However, I take lousy photos so hope to begin to take it seriously and learn something here.
  2. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    Hello Grey Fox, that's a great selection of lenses you've got. Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
  3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    A warm welcome from West London! There are plenty of us Brits on this forum.

As you have already seen, there is a lot to like about m4/3 cameras and lenses and I agree there is something of the spirit of the Leica M system about them.

I use the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Olympus 45mm f/1.8 as my main lenses and this two lens outfit strongly reminds me of my old Leica CL with its 40mm f/2 Summicron-C and 90mm f/4 Elmar-C. These two m4/3 lenses are so superbly sharp and have such lovely bokeh that after a few years using Nikon DSLRs I find my love of photography is being revived!

My 'other camera outfit' is a Leica M9/Konica Hexar RF combination for digital and film capture with seven lenses from 15mm to 90mm, four from Leica.