1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New member in London

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Grey Fox, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Grey Fox

Grey Fox New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    New member checking in...

I'd like to introduce myself. I've just bought into m4/3 - having sold an Olympus E-1 I bought a used Panasonic G2 body and, needing a slightly more compact camera, a used GF1 as well. I acquired a 14-42 kit lens, 20mm f1.7 pancake and a 40-150!

My reason for moving to m4/3 is that I like smaller cameras and I had inherited a Leica M6 and a bunch of lenses which, to my amazement and delight, I found I could use with the m4/3 cameras and also my favourite Olympus 4/3 lens.

I've long loved photography - as a teenager I used to read and re-read Eric de Mare's Penguin book of Photography with its fantastic and classic black and white pics by Cartier Bresson etc. I feel with the GF1 I have a small camera in the tradition of the Leica. However, I take lousy photos so hope to begin to take it seriously and learn something here.

2. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Hello Grey Fox, that's a great selection of lenses you've got. Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    A warm welcome from West London! There are plenty of us Brits on this forum.

As you have already seen, there is a lot to like about m4/3 cameras and lenses and I agree there is something of the spirit of the Leica M system about them.

I use the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Olympus 45mm f/1.8 as my main lenses and this two lens outfit strongly reminds me of my old Leica CL with its 40mm f/2 Summicron-C and 90mm f/4 Elmar-C. These two m4/3 lenses are so superbly sharp and have such lovely bokeh that after a few years using Nikon DSLRs I find my love of photography is being revived!

My 'other camera outfit' is a Leica M9/Konica Hexar RF combination for digital and film capture with seven lenses from 15mm to 90mm, four from Leica.