New Member From Vancouver

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by khughes44, Jun 12, 2014.

1. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    Hi all;

Long time lurker here. Just making the switch from Canon DSLR's to M4/3. So far so good.

My wife has been using a GX1 for about a year and a half. The colours in the raw files beat those of the Canon hands down, so I thought about making the switch. After shooting with the GX7 for a few days I've noticed a good jump in image quality already. Very pleased so far. Looking forward to being involved in the forums.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    Easthampton, Massachusetts
    James Gehrt
    I too love the GX7 after using the GX1. How do you feel about the camera strap mount? I wear mine all the time, and maybe I'm just not use to it yet, but it seems to want to turn back into me. The left lug is out further which gives it an unbalanced feel. I am so happy with the files that I haven't complained much. :smile:

The portability and quality now reminds me of my old trusty film camera Contax G with a 35mm. One camera, one lens and no bag. I just couldn't do that with a DSLR. Too heavy and not much to gain.

3. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    I haven't used the strap yet! The camera is so light that I have not bothered. I can easily carry it in one hand. I have a Black Rapid sling for my DSLR which I stuck on the GX7 for a short walk. You almost can't feel the weight of the camera on your shoulder. I often carry my Olympus OM-10 film camera around town with no strap too. I hope you still have your Contax; great camera and a killer lens.

Once in awhile I get a weird error message from my GX7. It says "Memory Card Is Full" even though the card is newly re-formatted. I have to re-boot the camera to get rid of the message. I would send it back but that means I'd be without it for a few weeks. I like it way too much to send it away!

4. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    Easthampton, Massachusetts
    James Gehrt
    The Contax is sweet, and I wish it just had a digital back. You probably tried this, but I would stick a different card in and see if it still gives you the error message.

5. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    I updated the firmware and have not seen the error message since. Here's hoping!