New member from the Rockies, CO

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by stevai, Apr 16, 2012.

1. stevai

stevai New to Mu-43

Apr 16, 2012
    :smile: We are getting a new baby girl, born 1 week ago! So I decide to invest in a system camera. Previously I used compact Canon cameras only, but got fed up with the lousy PQ of Can SD1400, especially in low light situations.
    Do not want to go to DSLR because of the weight (can you imagine heavy diaper bag for 2 kids age 2 and new one, DSLR bag AND shopping bags?)

So ordered E-PL1 dual lens kit from for ~$365 after cash back, sold 14-42mm at for ~$130, keep 40-150mm, bought 20mm f1.7 @ kenmore ebay for ~$340. And bought 2 B+W UV filters, 46 & 58mm, so my total investments is about $650.

Took about 200 pic with the 20mm and has been satisfied with the results, AF is quite satisfactory, but I only use it in iAuto mode and pop art mode, so I found pictures indoor to be a little bit dark. Try P mode sometimes, but I think the picture becomes over exposed.

What do you members think about getting the Dummies book for more advanced use? Any other good photography guide for beginners (prefer free of course :smile:)

Also I would like to get a free picture editing tools, Gimp or Picasa do you guys recommend?
    I have tried to upload some pictures I have taken, the only editing program I have in Win 7 is paint, 2048x1024 is a little bit weird/stretched.

I hope I can learn more from you all members of Mu43.

Thank you.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome. The best book I've found is "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson (sp?). It's not free but should be less than $20 on Amazon. Really easy to read, very practical, excellent intro to using the other camera settings. I find the "A" setting to be the most useful for a variety of photography and this book helps you to understand how to use aperture settings to get the results you want. You have a fine camera and a great lens in the 20 - you should get some great shots with it. Feel free to ask questions here on the forum, there are lots of very helpful people here. :biggrin:
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a great kit going. Congratulations on the baby girl! :2thumbs:

I love free software, but would recommend you consider Lightroom. It is $145 for the new version (it used to be $300), but I think this is a worthwhile investment, especially with how much you can do in post processing now. Once you have the software, there are tons of free, great presets out there, for example:

Ultimate Collection of The Best Adobe Lightroom Presets - chethstudios Design Magazine