New member from Germany

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by silverbullet, Feb 10, 2010.

1. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi,

my name is Bernd. I'm now 62 years old but much younger in my head.
    Starting with photography around 1960 with a cheap 6x6 AGFA Isola I the real thrill came around 1970 during the war in'Nam photographed by people mainly with Nikons and the famous model, the F. I had to buy one....
    This camera became my third eye and together with 28mm (cheap) and the 50mm Nikkor f2 (not soo cheap) we messed through the cities of Europe.
    But not as a pro, just as a young guy with swift feet and bit shy but not with the camera at the forehead....:rolleyes: mainly weekends.
    I did mainly streetphotography even there was no name for it at those times.

Only until 1973 it was my hobby, I stopped it in favour of windsurfing......

Four years ago a restart happend. Hard, frustrating and expensive.....

Nikons D70, D200, D300, Leica MP, Bessa R4A and now beside the Nikon and Bessa for analogue a very nice EP-2 with the super VF.

This little camera gives me "butterflies in my stomach" as we say in Germany. Love at first sight as with the NikonF and it's Photomic....:thumbup:

Enough words here my flickr pic - the first shot with the F:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36573929@N00/168438918/

and here the first shot with a EP-1 (from a friend before I got mine):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36573929@N00/4279147071/

I hope a lot of informations about m4/3 can be pulled out this forum.

Just to keep my brain under stress I started a blog as a test whether it will be the right way to exhibit or to create an own homepage:

http://silberblicke.blogspot.com/2010/02/beginning.html

(Sorry for mistakes, my son has to read and correct ist....:rolleyes:)

• Like Like x 6
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  3. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Welcome Bernd! Where in Germany are you by the way?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bernd,
    Welcome Home, in many ways.
    It seems you probably have many images to post so, try putting some up in your member gallery.
    Thanks for signing up.....seeya around...
    shooter

• Like Like x 2
  5. silverbullet

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks for your welcome!

I'm living near Düsseldorf.
    After reducing photography my main place to visit had been the Grevelingen, Netherlands after many years in Vinkeveen with Amsterdam so close....

En heel mooie plaats for plankzeilen met echt lekker frites en sterke wind for mijn sinkers.....:cool:

Tot ziens!

6. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Düsseldorf - home to one of my favourite ever bands, Neu!

7. silverbullet

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks and 'Hang Loose':cool:

In the early days of Hoyle Schweitzer's Windsurfer the scene in Hawaii was very present in Germany. Names as Robby Naish, Ken Winner or Pete Cabrinha are well known. Or later Laird Hamilton the "Animal" of big wave surfing.
    By the way, I worked for many years in Germany's biggest GRP boadbuilder and famous outboard racer, Dieter Hellwig, Dusseldorf.
    When Windsurfing started he designed the first speedboard based on his experiences with planning raceboats. He 'invented' the power joint for the mastfoot. This first model was made by Mercury for their 65hp outboard engine. Mistral adapted it for their first Mistral Competition,designed by Ernstfried Prade and Peter Brockhaus...... It's so long ago.......:redface:

Since ten years I'm living frequently on a little island in the Atlantic/France, called Noirmoutier. Some pics are from this place.
    Beside surfing I sail as an old fart with my Hobie tri, called Adventure Island.
    See you on the water!:wink:

8. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Ah yes, I used to love windsurfing!! Those names are very familiar
    and I used to drool watching videos of their quality performances.
    Had a small van full of gear and would "call in sick" whenever the
    wind was howling.... :)

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

A somewhat belated welcome silverbullet and glad you found your way here! Just took a quick look at your flickr pages where you have some really well done photographs. Very impressive. Now, let's get your E-P photos up there and here.:cool:

There is a forum called "Housekeeping" that has a "sticky" about how to make the best use of the gallery system. Looking forward to seeing your photos.:thumbup:

P.S. Editing to add that I see you've already uploaded quite a few!:biggrin:Excellent!

• Like Like x 2
  10. silverbullet

Feb 10, 2010
    Thank you so much for your kind words! Those pics had been made at the age of around 23 years and without any effort. The stream of light just entered the lens and hit the silver......

But now, one of my sons in the same age as I was is not using a camera (thanks God) but pens, computer and other stuff. But same as I he is a lot interested in people but from a different direction......:

http://philippbanken.blogspot.com/

• Like Like x 2
  11. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, welcome to the forum Bernd! you have a very talented artist for a son. Thanks for sharing! :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2