1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New member....few questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ArchRivalNeo, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ArchRivalNeo

ArchRivalNeo New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011
    Hey Everybody! :smile:

Long time lurker, first time poster. How you guys doing? I've been a :43: convert ever since I bought my GF2 (and later my E-PL3) earlier this year. You can check out my flickr page (link in sig).

I've been using my E-PL3 for about 3 months now, and I had a few questions for you guys.

1. My OM-:43: adapter came in the mail, but I'm away from my home for a few days. Out of curiosity, how do I shoot with the zuiko lens with the adapter on? As I understand, it works in Aperture priority mode. But do you set the aperture on both the lens and on the screen? or just on the screen?

2. Lately, my screen shows only a part of the actual frame that's being shot. It's not zoomed in, but more like a frame that's subset to the actual captured frame. I've been trying to find the right menu item that would correct this, and even gone through the manual (the online one, not the abysmal excuse for a manual that came in the box) but it doesn't seem to mention anything about this. What should I be looking for?

3. Lastly, I'm curious as to how the wireless flash works on this camera. Does it need to have flash in the hot shoe to trigger a wireless flash unit? Is it not possible to use an external flash unit without master flash in the hot shoe? I'd like to use the 50 1.8 for potraits and I don't want to keep going back and forth the VF-2 (for manual focus) and flash.

I guess that's all the questions I have for now. If I do have any other questions, I'll ask them :redface:

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I just use Program mode in place of Aperture Priority with a legacy lens. With a legacy lens, P does the same thing as A would with a native lens. Manual is still Manual. You only need to set the aperture on the lens, the camera will meter off the stopped down view it gets.

Never seen something like that. You might have to do a Custom Reset to get things back to normal. Once you have all the settings the way you want it, you should always create at least one MySet for it, then you can always reset to your favorite settings rather than doing a full factory reset if something goes wrong.

Nope, not possible on your model of PEN. To trigger remote flash at the same time as using the VF-2 viewfinder, you will need to upgrade to the E-P3, or go back to one of the older models like the E-PL2 or E-PL1. The E-PL3 and E-PM1 do not include a built-in remote commander (part of the built-in flash). That was the sacrifice we made for the extremely slim build of the new body type.

3. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi fellow E-PL3 user. I can answer question one only

To use any manual lens and adapter, you only change the aperture on the lens, I am not even sure you can change the on screen/in camera aperture - that is for native lenses only. On A mode - the camera will set the shutter speed for you - in relation to the aperture you have (sensing much light is coming in). You can use other modes, such as M (where you can set the shutter speed manually and maybe even P and art filters...though with everything apart from M, the camera will choose the shutter speed/ISO for you. Others may chip in with more detail.

Question 2 is a mystery - maybe send a pic of the screen as I have never seen what you describe?

and I am not sure about 3- but someone else will know...

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Question 2 -- need a screen shot, but it sounds like you are in MF assist mode someone, maybe at 7X zoom.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol... You just asked for a screen shot of a physical object. :biggrin:

6. ArchRivalNeo

Dec 19, 2011
    I'll go back home today and see what I come up with. Maybe even post a picture of what im talking about. I wish the settings were more like Panasonic cameras. Not as intutitive.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    well, technically, it's a shot of the screen =P

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    :biggrin: I guess I meant a shot of the screen!

edit: Linh beat me to it

9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Re Q2: Have you changed the aspect ratio from 4:3? Are you shooting raw? If yes to both you will see the crop (3:2, 16:9, etc) on the lcd but your captured image may be shown as the full 4:3 sensor capture by your software.

10. ArchRivalNeo

Dec 19, 2011
    Hey thanks for your suggestion Mark. Turns out the culprit was something called a Digital Teleconverter. I had that turned on, that's why everything was zoomed in by default...It's all good though now.

Thanks everyone for all their suggestions! Kinda sad now that I can't use wireless flash and my VF2 with a manual focus lens. Might just hold it out until the PEN Pro or w/e Pro'ish MFT cam Oly comes out with :smile:

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I've seen that option in the new cameras... and immediately IGNORED it, and tried to put it out of my memory, lol. :D I thought it was like Panasonic's digital zoom features (yes, they even have two types).

I had never found this to be too much of a problem, as the situations which require flash are generally in controlled environments (ie, indoors) where I don't have difficulty seeing the LCD. Especially with the tilt screen on your E-PL3, you may just find the LCD to be a more useful method of shooting than the VF-2. It really does free you for easier shooting angles. I'm perfectly happy using the VF-2 only when I shoot in ambient light, as that's where I desire the VF-2.