1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New member and just bought a G3 today

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by tdekany, Dec 18, 2011.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Hello all - I have been reading for the last few weeks the forum, a pro photographer client of mine suggested the G3 instead of getting into DSLR. I paid $599 locally in Portland and we (with wife) chose white. Looks better to us. Came with the 14-42mm lens.

Very excited. It is replacing a Canon S3 - used it to take this picture:smile:

IMG_8607-2.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Congratulations and welcome........I also own a G3......it is a fine camera.

Looking forward to some pics.......R

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks Rich for the welcome. I spent most of my time last night reading the manual and testing the camera. Still a bit overwhelming after the S3. When I feel that my pictures are worthy to post on this forum, I'll post them. :smile:

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Instead of getting ready for work I take pictures of stuff around the kitchen. :eek:

P1000040-1.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Congratulations and welcome aboard the :43: train! The G3 is a fine choice; I have one myself. I used to have a Canon S3 IS as well. That was a great camera for its day (fast lens for a superzoom). But I think you will find the G3 is a great leap forward. Jump right in here on the forums!

6. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Congrats and welcome!

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Looks very sexy in white. Now go take lots and lots of pictures!

8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Appreciate the kind words. Thank you.

9. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Superb camera - it replaced my GF1, which I didn't think anything could do. Great handling, great results, especially the in-camera B/W options. However I find myself moving away from zooms... :rolleyes:

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I'm moving away from zooms too, except for a handful of fast zooms from the DSLR days. Fast Primes are where it's at in this system. ;)

Welcome to :43:, tdekany!

11. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks chasm and Ned!

I have a quick question for you guys. What is the ISO button for? On my old camera is was obviously for changing the ISO level. I can't figure it out.

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The ISO button is for changing the ISO level, as it would be on any camera. It might be that it doesn't work one or more of the automatic modes??? Are you in IA, or one of the scene or art modes? If you're in any of the PASM modes, I can pretty much guarantee it'll work for you. In the auto modes, the camera probably doesn't want to let you under the hood...

-Ray

13. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I am in M and just tried all modes and each time I press the ISO button I get (not sure what it is called) those blocks outlined in yellow on the screen.

14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Do those blocks outlined in yellow have numbers inside of them?

15. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    no numbers

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not positive I'm understanding the question, but are you referring to putting in different types of film in your old camera?

If so, the ISO value of a digital camera is just like swapping films of different sensitivity, except that you are just changing the characteristics of the sensor capture rather than physically changing film.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think we need a picture of that. :confused:

18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Sounds like the ISO button is programmed to do AF lock, and the AF is set to Multi...? I don't have my G3 here at work so I can't check my hypothesis...

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh yes, good point Chuck!

The ISO button is programmable, so you may have a different function assigned than what is printed on the camera!

My camera is a PEN, and after the E-P2 (ie, from the E-PL1 and newer) they for some (very!) odd reason decided to change the dedicated buttons so that none of them are ISO or WB anymore. As such, I had to "customize" my camera to return the ISO and WB buttons, but they are no longer marked as such. I never could understand why they made that change, but it's of little consequence since a little customization puts everything right back to the way it should be.

20. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I think you are right. The camera was unopened when we bought it. How do I fix this?

IMG_1193.