1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

new mcmurrayandblonde strap review

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by delkhouri, Jun 2, 2016.

1. delkhouri

delkhouri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2016
    I recently received a new strap for my Olympus OMD em10ii and I thought I would post a review. I wanted a new strap for my OMD because I didn't like the strap that came with the camera as it is a bit short for me and I didn't like the feel of it on my neck. So after looking around on Etsy and other sites I came across a leather goods maker by the name of McMurray and Blonde. After a couple conversations I decided on the length and material for the strap. Communication was super easy and the strap came quickly. It is a really nice thin strap, very lightweight and very comfortable. It is perfect for the OMD and a nice upgrade on the included Olympus strap.

Link to his website:
    Thin Leather Camera Strap - Horween Derby Bourbon Brown

Link to his etsy site:
    High quality leather goods by McMurrayAndBlonde

First photo is from me (sorry about the quality of picture, my camera was being used as a model) Second picture is a stock Photo from his website McMurray and Blonde.
    Thin_Leather_Camera_Strap_-_Horween_Derby_1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  3. delkhouri

delkhouri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2016
    Well I don't know that I need a lot of padding with a light camera like the em10ii. What I do know is this leather strap is significantly more comfortable than the cheap, scratchy, unpadded, nylon strap that came with the camera

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for posting this delkhouri, nice looking strap. I was looking for something similar a while back and didn't see this one. I agree that a simple strap is enough for something like the E-M10, and when that leather ages a bit it should be super soft and comfy. I also like the screws they use. Can you comment on how secure they feel to you?

5. delkhouri

delkhouri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2016
    I haven't had it long enough to give a long term review, just an initial one with limited use/carry.

I would say that the leather is already super soft and agree that it will only get better/softer with age.

As for the security of the screws. They seem to fit quite snugly and be quite secure. As a backup, since they are screws, if I ever feel like they are getting a bit loose, I will just apply a little loctite to the threads. Also the screws are spaced really nicely as they aren't right up agains the camera but they do not have so much space that they will reach/scratch the screen.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Looks lovely! Reasonable price as well, as these things go.

7. McMurray and Blonde

McMurray and Blonde New to Mu-43

Jun 2, 2016
    Mac
    Thanks buddy! Glad you are enjoying the strap and I appreciate the support on MU-43!

Hi Ross,

Totally see where you are coming from. I actually started making these straps because I was having such a hard time finding a thin leather camera strap for my Fuji X100 and OMD10.

Right now, I only am making things that I design and use. I can give them a real life test that way and make sure they function like I could want them to. I have thought about adding shoulder pads, but it may be a bit.

On that Olympus strap, I would steer clear. "Genuine" leather USUALLY is the 2nd to lowest tier of leather. Genuine leather will wear terribly and isn't nearly as strong a full or top grain. Its typically made with the bottom shaving of the full grain I use. It looks nice, but for $80, it would want much better materials. There are better options I could recommend by other smaller companies like mine.

Thanks for the props. I designed the strap to use chicago screws because I got sick of bending my finger nail off on split rings trying to switch straps between cameras.

And as it turns out, chicago screws are second only to a well done saddle stitch (not machine stitch) in terms of strength. I use solid brass chicago screws so it is very unlikely to snap...it would more likely bend if you were to put it under severe stress. Rivets are actually (typically) not as secures as chicago screws because they can pop undone. There is a video on youtube of a guy pulling apart leather riveted together...I'll see if I can find it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks. I would agree that rivets can be unreliable, especially when something as valuable as a camera & lens depends on it, except when a rivet is crimped over on the other side & not just a pushed in fit, but a screw with LockTite on it should be most secure.

9. McMurray and Blonde

McMurray and Blonde New to Mu-43

Jun 2, 2016
    Mac
    Found the YouTube video of leather hardware comparative strength.

I will be making saddle stitched straps as an option at some point, I just love being able to take get them on and off camera so quickly with the Chicago screw.