New Macbook

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Robert Watcher, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

The basic white Macbook that I purchased new for $1000 in 2007 before heading to Costa Rica the first time - - - just keeps on going with all the abuse I give it. It has been a work horse in my extensive travels and my professional portrait, wedding and commercial work. For months on end many times, it has staying turned on for 24 hours a day.

The last few months in Nicaragua, the internal hard drive was struggling and making lots of noise in the severe heat. I was positive that it would die at any time, and that was unsettling. I have always been dissatisfied as a result of having to swap out files and limit the number and size of files that I could keep on the small hard drive. As well the battery started bulged and has reduced capacity of sometimes a bit over half an hour run time.

So I was determined that I needed an up to date replacement, and could justify getting a new one. Instead though, I decided to replace the failing small 80GB hard drive with a larger 750GB hard drive that ran at a faster 7200RPM, than the built-in Apple hard drive. As for the bulging battery that could be replaced for a fair hunk of change from Apple - - - I found many "replacement" batteries on eBay.

With the upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard (so that I could better handle Olympus HD video) last fall - - - it runs better than ever. Cost for everything? $110. Time to copy the almost full 80GB hard drive over to the 750GB with Super Duper? a couple of hours unattended. Install the 750GB HD? 3 minutes tops. Put the battery in? 5 seconds. Well worth the effort. ;)

[​IMG]

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    I kept waiting for a laptop PC to come out with a better than 1900x1200 display. None seem to have made it to market or their price/feature set is about the same as a Macbook Pro 15. I broke down and bought a Macbook Pro this past weekend. Surprisingly enough, it has a really nice display. :p

3. jimmyzou

jimmyzou Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Canada
    Sony made quite nice FHD laptop.

4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Apple products do have really long lives if you don't care about the incremental internal upgrades each year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.