New Macbook Pro with Retina Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gdourado, Jun 12, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    The new Macbook Pro is out...
    Besides minor spec upgrades to the Macbook Air line and the Macbook Pro line... The big news yesterday from Apple was the all new 15 Macbook Pro with Retina Display.
    The laptop features a all new design and a display that features more than 5.1 million pixels, spread though a resolution of 2880x1800...

Apple already confirmed the update of some of their apps like iPhoto and Aperture to support the Retina resolution.
    Adobe is also onboard, with photoshop already confirmed.

This looks like a great machine! But also at one big price...
    For me, it is still my 27 iMac for editing. And if I would need a laptop, I would prefer the 11 inch Macbook Air that can now take 8gb of ram.

SO, what's your thoughts?

2. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Unfortunately I think it is only going to make my 100% crops look bad... Not to mention my bank would likely want to have a chat with me about my finances.

I'm somewhat happy I'm not in the market for a new laptop right now, as I know Apple would have my money as usual.
  3. It's great that they have slimmed down the 15" Pro, and it will be a great machine. We have two 13" MB Airs for home and travel. Tried an ipad, couldn't gel with it, and my wife and I were always racing to get the the kids have an iPad, and we have a slightly more peaceful house. I wouldn't go down to the 11" MBA, not enough size/weight saving.
    But still: I like my 25" (I think that's the size) iMac for editing. Good to see that Apple seem to be re-focusing on their Mac line-up. Lately it has felt all about iOS gadgets.....
    • Like Like x 1
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Goodbye 17" MacBook pro.

5. Printfolio

Printfolio Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    Kortrijk, Belgium
    I bought an iPad3 64GB to view my photos. A cheaper solution alltogether :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    the 17 inch Pro is a huge machine....I guess if you need it than it is better than moving a desktop...I think I'll get a 64gb iPad as old MacBook Pro from 2009 is still humming along...
  7. Lusting for one. But the +$2K price is a reality check.
  8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    There's a lot more to having a good screen for photographers than resolution. The range of the color gamut is one of those things. Historically, Apple hasn't done really well in that area. Until their new improved displays came out, Macbooks only displayed about 60% of the color gamut. Even the new improved displays only do 80%. I can't find a number for what this new display does. Sony, on the otherhand, has been shipping laptops with 13" displays with 1920x1200 resolution that can display the entire 100% of the color gamut for years now. Combine that with the quad RAID SSDs their little laptops can be equipped with and that's been the portable Photoshop dream machine for years now. They are light too at 3lbs and under, i5/i7 CPUs and some have NVIDIA GPUs for hardware Photoshop acceleration.
  9. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The press release, here: Apple - Press Info - Apple Updates MacBook Pro Family with New Models & Innovative Built-in Battery for Up to 40 Percent Longer Battery Life, says "an improved LED-backlit display with 60 percent greater color gamut"

If the Sony is a baseline 100, and the previous MBP was "60%" or 60, then 60% more of 60 is 96, or about the same as Sony. Just doing napkin maths, Apple probably gets the same parts as Sony so I'd say as good as 100.
  10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Obviously you're wrong because Sony uses TN+Film panels and the screen in the Macbook Pro with Retina Display is IPS.

I really hope they use the same panel technology as in the Retina iPads. DisplayMate tested the display in the Retina iPad and found that...

new iPad Display Technology Shoot-Out
  11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Basically, I"m hoping for an update of the 13" Airs to include an (IPS panel) retina display. I really don't need the additional resolution - 1400 x 900 on a 13" monitor is pretty damn fine already. I also don't much like 15" laptops because they're too big to be pleasantly portable.

It'll remain the MacPro (which is far more powerful and future proof and full of hard disks) and the 23" Cinema Display, although I'll likely add a 27" Dell Ultrasharp at some point for editing, and the 13" for casual viewing, travel and regular work. The 13" size is a sweet spot, I find.

My major disappointment: no news on the iPhone front, and only a (crazy expensive) 15" MPB with the retina display...for now.
  12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    While I don't care for apple computers (I'll stick to their ipad thanks), I'm really excited that they'll push the technology limits. I can't wait to see this sort of resolution coming from competitors..and I am really excited to start seeing this resolution in external monitors.
  13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm still trying to figure out whether I can expense one of these machines to replace my aging MBP (a merely adequate 2010 model). A standard SSD is extremely good news too, although the 16 GB memory upgrade is a huge rip off from Apple. I've always irritated that my UltraSharps are all such low resolution, especially the 24s at 1920x1200 or the 23s at 1920x1080. We have the 27 and 30 which are high res, but they're also monstrously over-sized; I believe the 27 turns in the best PPI of the bunch. It's unfortunate that Anandtech's testing doesn't include gamut. Fingers crossed for 100% sRGB.

Trouble is, I am already building a 3x2 Eyefinity system driven off Radeon CrossFireX 7970s this summer. Another 2.5k on top of that expense is tricky to justify at best. I live such a difficult life :rofl: Realistically speaking, putting an SSD into the old MBP might be a sufficient performance improvement for work.

As for iPads, I still haven't found any apps that enable a decent workflow with RAW processing -- essentially a mobile Lightroom. Not only that, but the iPad won't read AVCHD. Blargh.
  14. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Sony makes it's only displays. Apple doesn't make it's own, they buy them from other companies. They tend to use LG panels. By the way, you can get the same panels that Apple uses for the 27" Cinema Display from other companies on a $250-$400 monitor.

I looked at the Anandtech article and they don't seem to mention anything about color gamut. That analysis is not as complete as they normally provide.

That press release you are linking to was from 2009. That's when they went from the bad color gamut screens to the not so bad. Those are the 80% screens. Note, the MBAs are really really bad at under 50%.

AnandTech - The 2011 MacBook Air (11 & 13-inch): Thoroughly Reviewed

As for this new retina display. I can't seem to find the color gamut rating for it. The closest I can come is the color gamut for the retina display on the "New Ipad". It's 65%.
  15. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I hope they aren't. That panel is a throw back to the old, pre 2009, Macbooks in terms of color gamut. 65% of AdobeRGB/NTSC.

AnandTech - The new iPad: Retina Display Analysis

While displaymate is saying 99%, they mean 99% of sRGB which isn't as wide as AdobeRGB/NTSC.

What's the difference?

"The sRGB space is considered adequate for most consumer applications. Having all devices use the same color space is convenient in that an image does not need to be converted from one color space to another before being displayed. However, sRGB's limited gamut leaves out many highly saturated colors that can be produced by printers or in film, and thus is not ideal for some high quality applications. The wider gamut Adobe RGB is being built into more medium-grade digital cameras, and is favored by many professional graphic artists for its larger gamut."

NTSC is even a bit wider than AdobeRGB. Many Sony laptops do 100% NTSC since Sony displays have been the standard for use in TV/Movie production for decades where the NTSC standard rules.
  16. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Oh dear, I wish I never read this post.
    Looks like my bank account will become less healthy :eek:
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's an awesome resolution. I hope the OS and apps can support it so that it isn't painful with miniature text here and there.

I also hope that this will give Microsoft a kick in the pants to make Windows resolution independent or at least better at dealing with high resolution laptop screens. The 1900 x 1080 on my Lenovo 15-inch laptop is pushing it for Windows 7.
  18. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    That looks like a great machine!
    What Sony model is that?

19. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    I ordered my dream machine yesterday. MacBook Pro Retina Display with upgraded processor to 2.7, 16 Gb of RAM, and 768 Gb SSD. I think it is going to rock my socks off. Sadly, I have to wait 3 to 5 weeks until is delivered (because of the bigger SSD).

I can't wait to use Aperture on this bad boy!