New! Mac OS X RAW Image compatibility for E-P3, G3, GF3 and others

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Gusnyc, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Apple just released the update for Mac OS X.

Includes RAW support for:
    Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200
    Olympus PEN E-P3
    Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G3
    Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF3
    Samsung NX11
    Samsung NX100
    Sony Alpha NEX-C3
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I was half hoping it would support the EPL3 also, since the files are literally identical to the EP3 - should be anyway with the same sensor and same processer. But it doesn't.

Does anyone know a quick and easy way to change the camera name in the EXIF information on a batch of files? I remember an app someone wrote for this to get EPL1 files identified as EP2 files for those few months after the EPL1 came out. Should be easy to do, but I don't have those skills...

3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Ray -

You're just too fast for Apple! Jump off the bleeding edge! :biggrin:

I believe it was Kevin who created the app, if memory serves...based on using Exiftool, a free program and Automator.
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    yes I was the one who wrote a little app that did batch conversions... though it was using TextEdit and automator.

I did quickly look at the E-p3 files to see if the same trick worked... but it didn't .... plus I have been occupied with a family bereavement over the summer ahd haven't had time to look at this further.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Awesome news... been feeling strangely gimped not being able to edit in RAW for some reason.
  6. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you Apple! Such speedy RAW support, I was dreading the long wait till I could use Aperture.
    I am firing up my iMac right now to download the update. Only a 7 mb download, sweet!
  7. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Yes, thanks apple, I was not keen on the dng conversion that lightroom offered.
  8. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Sorry to hear of your family bereavement issues Kevin - I know how difficult that can be.

I remember your program and one other for when the EPL1 came around. Hopefully Apple should figure out pretty quickly that they're dealing with virtually identical files with the EPL3 and EPM1 and get those out there very quickly, but I could see it being another few months very easily, just because they'll wait until there are several new cameras they can bundle into the same release.

Damn, maybe I shouldn't have sold the EP3 so quickly!

9. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA
    Well I shot a festival yesterday, mostly shooting using a Panaosnic G1 (with the 100-300) and the EPL-3. I have Lightroom and using the advance for 3.5 I was able to open the DNG's in Aperture afterwards. However, Aperture did not recognize the Panasonic G1 files. *angry* I would assume if you used Adobe Camera Raw (the release candidate, coverted to DNG, you could open the EPL-3 files as well.
  10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    There seems to be a pretty exhaustive EXIF editor here for Mac OS X and Windows:
    ExifTool by Phil Harvey

It's command-line only and appears to be pretty technical, but may be able to do what you guys are looking for. If I have time I'll see if I can take a quick look at it.
  11. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA

Apparently the issue is with the Lightroom processed DNG files from Panasonic G! files since when I imported the files directly into Aperture no problem and Aperture also imported the Pen EPL-3 files without an issue. This latter point is mentioned because the thread led me to believe it would not.
  12. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila

Yea, very technical, but easy enough once you learn a few commands. But I was recently pointed to a front end for it on the Mac App store called EXIFCHANGER. It costs $5 but is worth it for this task alone, I'm finding. I already had exiftool on my Mac, but, from what I can tell, its also included in exifchanger, so you should only need to buy that and I guess it installs both the exiftool utility and the exifchanger front end. EXIFCHANGER essentially lets you do batch operations like changing the model name of the camera used on a whole folder full of files. Just by changing the EPL3 to EP3 in the exif it does in fact allow Aperture to open and work on these raw files as though they're from the ep3.

I'd come up with a couple of macros to do the same thing in exiftool, but this is a lot easier, so if anyone is looking for an easy way to get access to the EPL3 or EPM1 raw files before Apple gets around to supporting them, I can recommend this app.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks Ray

I was looking for a front end fir exiftool.

I'll check that one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App