New M43s Yongnuo camera

I could see maybe getting this. I have a pretty specific use case - I stream my church services. At the moment I use a cell with Facebook Live and have looked for ways to stream my Olympus - and to be honest, no great options for that. If this allows the use of an M43 lens (thinking the 45/1.8 might work nicely), for Facebook Live, for only $600, hmmm.....

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
This may be why they chose Android (but probably not after years of development)
Android began in 2003 as a project of the American technology company Android Inc., to develop an operating system for digital cameras. In 2004 the project changed to become an operating system for smartphones. Android Inc., was bought by the American search engine company Google Inc., in 2005.

Good morning everyone, slight change of subject, but I'm thinking this camera might fill a niche, so adding on...

I'm trying to figure out a minimalist configuration for streaming my church services using M43, and higher quality mics. Right now, I use my phone (OnePlus 8T) with BlueTooth SmartMike+ and the Facebook Live app. It's OK... Here's an example service https://fb.watch/77kh_igCdt/ .

I'm probably going to switch over to the CameraFi Live app (again) because I'll get better control over the audio, and the picture is OK, but frankly I know my M43 stuff is better.

I have an Elgato Cam Link 4K, but found that it does not work well with my phone. Even with a separate power supply, it freezes. I see a video for the Febon888 which does seem to work at least for video -- curious if anyone has used it, before I spend $100+ dollars and wait on it coming from Taiwan I think.

What I don't want to do is drag a laptop. I know with one of those, I could connect the Elgato, and with OBS or something I could stream. Facebook (and I think YouTube) annoyingly don't allow a stream to be set up on a mobile device. I'm curious if anyone has used a Raspberry Pi in this role. It seems like it would look like a desktop, but I'm not sure how well it would stream from a USB video capture device. I have an iPad Pro M1 coming in today, but from what I've read there's no difference here. It's still mobile for streaming purposes.

Finally, the YN455. Whole lot of ifs on this one... But, it seems like the camera essentially acts as a rear-facing camera, therefore all my apps should just work. So, CameraFi Live (or the Facebook app if I can figure out the audio!) just on the camera with BlueTooth mics. Seems like that would be a wireless solution with just two devices. Am I thinking about this right? Big downside, I'm not sure when this will be available, and if I can get one.

Anyway, curious about your thoughts, especially if someone has done this. The reason I'm M43 is because I really don't want to go heavy, and right now it seems I can get so close... Thanks!

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Good morning everyone, slight change of subject, but I'm thinking this camera might fill a niche, so adding on...

I'm trying to figure out a minimalist configuration for streaming my church services using M43, and higher quality mics. Right now, I use my phone (OnePlus 8T) with BlueTooth SmartMike+ and the Facebook Live app. It's OK... Here's an example service https://fb.watch/77kh_igCdt/ .

I'm probably going to switch over to the CameraFi Live app (again) because I'll get better control over the audio, and the picture is OK, but frankly I know my M43 stuff is better.

I have an Elgato Cam Link 4K, but found that it does not work well with my phone. Even with a separate power supply, it freezes. I see a video for the Febon888 which does seem to work at least for video -- curious if anyone has used it, before I spend $100+ dollars and wait on it coming from Taiwan I think.

What I don't want to do is drag a laptop. I know with one of those, I could connect the Elgato, and with OBS or something I could stream. Facebook (and I think YouTube) annoyingly don't allow a stream to be set up on a mobile device. I'm curious if anyone has used a Raspberry Pi in this role. It seems like it would look like a desktop, but I'm not sure how well it would stream from a USB video capture device. I have an iPad Pro M1 coming in today, but from what I've read there's no difference here. It's still mobile for streaming purposes.

Finally, the YN455. Whole lot of ifs on this one... But, it seems like the camera essentially acts as a rear-facing camera, therefore all my apps should just work. So, CameraFi Live (or the Facebook app if I can figure out the audio!) just on the camera with BlueTooth mics. Seems like that would be a wireless solution with just two devices. Am I thinking about this right? Big downside, I'm not sure when this will be available, and if I can get one.

Anyway, curious about your thoughts, especially if someone has done this. The reason I'm M43 is because I really don't want to go heavy, and right now it seems I can get so close... Thanks!
I would suggest that you get yourself a GX80/85 or GX9 instead, and use it with your Elgato etc. That route will give you a far better camera in terms of features and options.

I would suggest that you get yourself a GX80/85 or GX9 instead, and use it with your Elgato etc. That route will give you a far better camera in terms of features and options.
Thanks for the comment, and I've heard the Pany's do a much better job with video. The Elgato piece is the long pole... My 11" iPad Pro is about the largest I want to carry with this kit...

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't think the GX series supports an external microphone. The G8x, G9x, and G9 do support an external microphone.

There might a solution where you feed HDMI into a port and audio, and you can replace the audio channel on the HDMI with the external microphone.

Note, be sure whatever camera you get can support external video in record mode (i.e. the icons are not on the HDMI stream), and that your batteries will last for the entire service. You could use a dummy battery and external power, but that just adds to the stuff that must be set up and connected.

I'm not sure what your setup is, but if you were wanting to have the camera mounted and controlled externally (via the phone app), there are only a few older/slower lenses that can be zoomed via the phone app. There are a bunch of things available for videographers that allow lenses to be remotely zoomed/focused. I think the term to search for is follow focus.

Also, given the weight of the camera + lens, if you wanted a radio controlled pan/tilt head, you would need to step up to a more expensive level of pan/tilt head than you normally find for cell phone cameras. This is one that I've been looking at:

Last edited:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I don't think the GX series supports an external microphone. The G8x, G9x, and G9 do support an external microphone.

There might a solution where you feed HDMI into a port and audio, and you can replace the audio channel on the HDMI with the external microphone.

Note, be sure whatever camera you get can support external video in record mode (i.e. the icons are not on the HDMI stream), and that your batteries will last for the entire service. You could use a dummy battery and external power, but that just adds to the stuff that must be set up and connected.

I'm not sure what your setup is, but if you were wanting to have the camera mounted and controlled externally (via the phone app), there are only a few older/slower lenses that can be zoomed via the phone app. There are a bunch of things available for videographers that allow lenses to be remotely zoomed/focused. I think the term to search for is follow focus.

Also, given the weight of the camera + lens, if you wanted a radio controlled pan/tilt head, you would need to step up to a more expensive level of pan/tilt head than you normally find for cell phone cameras. This is one that I've been looking at:

I posted about my setup that does just that here: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/oly-gear-for-podcasting.111164/#post-1470569

My setup is a GH-1 (clean HDMI out) connected to a Hauppauge HD PVR Pro 60. I also have a lavalier mic connected to the Hauppauge for my audio. The GH-1 does have mic input, although it's a non-standard 2.5mm jack and I'm not sure if the camera's HDMI out carries the audio signal.

Well, this week was a breakthrough for me... Some technical issues, but this time I got the entire service recorded:

https://fb.watch/7raYFs1VgS/

The gear was my phone (OnePlus 8T), Olympus OM-D E-M1.2 with a generic video capture device, OTG through USB-C. SmartMike+ through Bluetooth using Camera Fi Live.

So what did the capture problem end up being? Funny... Camera Fi Live opened up with a splash screen saying "Android 10 doesn't support UVC" - and I believed it. :) Their "fix" was to install an old version of the app on my phone, which had compatibility issues. I had an aha moment of "why don't I just try the newer version and see what happens" and it worked - 100% with no issues.

Got to figure out lighting a bit better - I shot the video with the 45mm/1.8 @1.8 and it was still dark. When I pushed up the exposure it washed out. Also, the audio was a bit high - unfortunately I was the one in the front so I couldn't really fix it during :)

Question though - my E-M1.2 with the Olympus battery, fully charged, still got <1hr @1080P (note the switch in the camera at the end). Is that normal? If so, that's rather unfortunate. I'd rather not make my camera ginormous with a grip if I can help it. Is there a such thing as an extended life battery?

Thanks!

Dion

Thanks for the link - I used to have something like that for my Canon. Seems like a solid purchase.

So less than an hour is perfectly normal? That's too bad - if I could bump it up to 1:15 that'd probably cover 99% of my recording needs...

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the link - I used to have something like that for my Canon. Seems like a solid purchase.

So less than an hour is perfectly normal? That's too bad - if I could bump it up to 1:15 that'd probably cover 99% of my recording needs...
I haven't actually done long recording yet with my E-m1 mark II, but the camera claims that I have about 80-90 minutes for recording with a freshly charged BLH-1 battery. This is for doing recording to the SD card, not using HDMI output like you are doing. From what I remember, 90 minutes is about what I saw with my Panasonic G85 recording 1080p 30fps.

How do find the HDMI external recording? I've thought off and on to get a recorder. I do have the unofficial firmware patches that allow an E-m1 mark II to record unlimited video, but since the author of those patches has disappeared I am somewhat loathe to use it.

I need to get serious about testing video on the E-m1 mark II before I actually need to record video.

You know you brought up an incredibly good point - my camera also claimed 80-90 minutes, but I'm sure sending a signal out over HDMI is more power-intensive than simply recording to an SD card. I'm probably being too critical. And I did find a 2250mah battery, maybe that will be just enough.

So far so good. That video is literally the longest video I've taken with the camera, and I was initially wondering if just capturing the HDMI would break the 30-minute limit -- it did. Quality seems OK (little hard to tell with the lighting). And for this one, I just bought a cheap USB-C video capture dongle on Amazon which said it worked with Android. It works fine. I think it's 1080p only, but I don't think my phone will do more than that.

Moral of the story, it works, and a reasonably small kit. Core of it is just the camera, dongle, phone, and mic. Easily manageable...

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
You know you brought up an incredibly good point - my camera also claimed 80-90 minutes, but I'm sure sending a signal out over HDMI is more power-intensive than simply recording to an SD card. I'm probably being too critical. And I did find a 2250mah battery, maybe that will be just enough.

So far so good. That video is literally the longest video I've taken with the camera, and I was initially wondering if just capturing the HDMI would break the 30-minute limit -- it did. Quality seems OK (little hard to tell with the lighting). And for this one, I just bought a cheap USB-C video capture dongle on Amazon which said it worked with Android. It works fine. I think it's 1080p only, but I don't think my phone will do more than that.

Moral of the story, it works, and a reasonably small kit. Core of it is just the camera, dongle, phone, and mic. Easily manageable...

As if public speaking isn't hard enough, you make life even more difficult by filming it yourself :)

It is perfectly watchable. Audio is clear. Focus seems to be hunting towards the end - maybe focus manually instead?

For your blown out backgrounds, have you tried flat mode? https://www.cined.com/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review-real-world-video-samples-first-impressions/ - lowering the contrast to reduce the effect of backlighting. I've never used it - the review suggests that it can be tweaked to make it better than the default mode setting. how effective depends on the dynamic range you have to contend with. I guess installing curtains isn't an option.

As you have discovered, filming large sections remotely is not as easy as one would think.

Thank you for your candid feedback!

I'm a bit of a perfectionist on certain things - I'd like to get this as close to professional quality as I can get with my gear, but the point is this is a ministry - it's church for people that can't go because of COVID. Thanks for assuring me it's good enough. :)

Hopefully, I won't sound like a walking advertisement, but I really like the SabineTek SmartMikes. The sound in that video is from one little device behind the cross on our table. They're a little spendy, but if you're looking for good sound in something really portable, you could do worse :)

Thanks for the tip on flat mode - I'll give it a shot. For stills I shoot in RAW and do magic in post-processing, so I haven't learned the camera controls as well as I'd like. Flat Mode will be my first stop. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom