New M43s Yongnuo camera

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
New M43s Yongnuo camera

link is to m43s rumors.

This camera sounds like that mythical transition camera from smartphones to real m43s. This wouldn't appeal to me, but it would to my wife who is frustrated by her Motorola phone camera but intimidated by my E-M10. OEM this thing to a company my wife has heard of, and I think it would be quite successful.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow that is actually a very interesting camera. Running Android with build in WiFi and SIM card slot you can literally take a photo, edit the photo in your favorite Android editor (Snapseed for example), and then upload it to your favorite site all from the camera. I wonder if it can make phone calls?

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wasn't there a different model from a year or two ago that got terrible reviews? Oh, yeah this one sold only in China...

Real Name
Cata
In whole honesty, I think this could be a real threat to OMDS and Panasonic m43. Just need to see how (if) would evolve.
Maybe OMDS is working together with Samsung on something similar..!?!
My guess now is that we will still see EM1.n cameras coupled with PRO glass aimed at PRO shooters (wildlife, outdoor sports) in the future, but I think the EM5.n and EM10.n would go the "phoney" route. Or will die. (I mean, for instance, no USB-C connector on EM10iv in 2020, that's a luxury one has to pay for).

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In whole honesty, I think this could be a real threat to OMDS and Panasonic m43. Just need to see how (if) would evolve.
I don't see this as a major threat in its current form. Clearly, the current design makes using longer heavier lenses. . . somewhat complicated. The camera would have to evolve into a more conventional format with a hotshoe, an optional viewfinder, and other significant ergonomic changes to be competitive for the 'serious amateur' photographer.

I'm not saying this won't happen, it might. But at that point, it would become just another 'me too' camera trying to muscle its way into a field that is already crowded with two manufacturers. I see this current configuration as selling well to 'casual upgraders' in a compulsive buying situation, and a percentage of those buyers upgrading further to Panasonic and Olympus. I see this as a positive move for both Yongnuo and the other m43s manufacturers.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wasn't there a different model from a year or two ago that got terrible reviews? Oh, yeah this one sold only in China...

Wow! Even an iPhone 11 beats it and a Fuji XT-4 both.

Probably made too many and need to peddle them now that they might have an English menu in it.

No sale here.

The fundamental market problem is not a need for smartphones to accommodate ILC design.

That is overkill. This proposal has no manual controls, no EVF, and no form factor to handle larger lenses while still retaining smartphone ergonomics.

3 strikes against already.

The market gap is that ILCs need to integrate their RAW and even video data to mobile and PC/macOSs and networks swiftly and seamlessly and wirelessly.

Last edited:

FrankieB92

Mu-43 Rookie
Cool, you could use it as an editing platform with Lightroom Portable and do everything on camera :)
Wouldn't you rather just send the file yo your phone and edit it on faster device with better screen and better ergonomics?

Putting a small, fixed lens camera in a smartphone was a no-brainer considering the networking and software, both OS and app. Demand drove the market drove the innovation. The more consumers used smart devices the more they wanted really good snapshot cameras with them. There was never a clamour for ILC equivalency (had to sneak that word in).

It’s not a two-way street. There was never a demand (and Sony did try) to have a mobile OS on a primary camera like and ILC. Hard to imagine texting or playing Cut the Rope or putting on your dashboard fro driving directions or FaceTiming the boss on your ILC hybrid phone thing...whatever this is.

ILCs and dedicated camera manufacturers suffered severe market losses not because they didn’t incorporate smartphones or mobile OSs into their ILC form factors; it’s because they didn’t--by design--integrate wholly with smart devices. There was extreme reluctance to ever do so by Japan Inc.

I see near zero demand for this device. It’s the Homermobile of m43.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I see near zero demand for this device. It’s the Homermobile of m43.

I'm not so sure. Built in front facing camera and GPS.

Photographers who are of a more senior persuasion have a back up in case they forget to bring a lens, or indeed if they can't remember where they live.

I can see huge potential for this in Florida.

Real Name
Cata
I don't think this camera is for "us", the "traditional" photographers, who might have had already lived for 4-5-6 decades on this Earth. We still need a viewfinder, proper dials and buttons, and we don't, generally, need to upload THAT picture on social media within 2 second after we have taken it. We are (mostly) set for the rest of our life with whatever camera and lenses we already own. But this camera concept is for the future generations, with different (photographic) needs.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wouldn't you rather just send the file yo your phone and edit it on faster device with better screen and better ergonomics?
How is that any different on your phone? Seems like the same class of speed, screen, and ergonomics.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I stumbled upon this old thread recently, which highlights the problem trying to be solved:

Taking high quality photos that can be immediately be shared.

The current solutions are:
  1. Buy a phone with a good camera
  2. Buy a camera with fast and easy connection to phone
Most people are obviously doing #1.

#2 has improved a lot over the years but it's still not seamless. My Insta360 cameras are pretty darn good at this though - you can even edit video without downloading it first (using proxies). And Panasonic app seems better too.

Plus, #2 taxes the batteries of two devices, forcing heavy users to carry charge packs and charging hubs.

This Yongnuo is an interesting third option. If it had a good battery, good image stabilization, and 5G, I could see this as a very interesting livestream option. Certainly a niche item but one that people needing this kind of solution would buy in a heartbeat.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This Yongnuo is an interesting third option. If it had a good battery, good image stabilization, and 5G, I could see this as a very interesting livestream option. Certainly a niche item but one that people needing this kind of solution would buy in a heartbeat.
Yes. I also chalk this type of thing as something certain people just want to hate on principle and then search for things they perceive as bad about it to justify their hate for it. Clearly another case of people complaining about a product they have no first hand experience, do not need/want the features such product offers, and therefore have no intention of purchasing.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't think this camera is for "us", the "traditional" photographers, who might have had already lived for 4-5-6 decades on this Earth. We still need a viewfinder, proper dials and buttons, and we don't, generally, need to upload THAT picture on social media within 2 second after we have taken it. We are (mostly) set for the rest of our life with whatever camera and lenses we already own. But this camera concept is for the future generations, with different (photographic) needs.
Ten years ago I would've been interested in this, as I had a small child at that point. Would've been nice and convenient to share snapshots from various activities. That need has gone for me, and even if I still had it my phone would be good enough.

Noeppel

Mu-43 Rookie
I hope this succeeds in some way. Screens and touch controls are a bad joke on cameras right now. I would gladly pay more to have a responsive, bright, big screen with thought out menus for touch.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I really can't see the point. It falls far short in usability when compared to a real camera and it's obviously not going to replace anyone's smartphone, which for 98% of people out there will take fantastic pics anyhow. Surely the ideal is to use a proper camera in terms of packaging (e.g. EM-1, G9, Pen-F etc) but to provide a decent mobile network connection and easy ability to upload to social media.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom